• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BScoot at the vet

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
vetri dmg will arrive tomorrow amazon prime.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@saroj12 Looks fine. Are you going to order a mattress (dog bed) and use a cover for the mattress? I promise he will get used to sleeping on the bottom very quickly. He can't fall off of the floor. Jasper's is 32" long and could really be 4" longer to accommodate her tail. She sleeps sort of cattycorner in it.

Put in a water holder, food holder and some of his favorite toys.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@saroj12 Looks fine. Are you going to order a mattress (dog bed) and use a cover for the mattress? I promise he will get used to sleeping on the bottom very quickly. He can't fall off of the floor. Jasper's is 32" long and could really be 4" longer to accommodate her tail. She sleeps sort of cattycorner in it.

Put in a water holder, food holder and some of his favorite toys.

i decided i can use the kings carrier 30-32' long. Question is i need to know if the shot is working by his falls. how will i determine that ca is effective?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first thing you need is a blood calcium test. Probably not, but the calcium supplements may have kicked him into Hypercacemia. This entire article is very good and will bring you right up to snuff with Hypo and Hyper Calcemia.

"On the other hand, a high intake of calcium and vitamin D is a potential source of hypercalcemia (an abnormally large amount of calcium in the blood). This may result in excessive calcification of the bones and some tissues, such as kidneys or heart. Calcinosis is an abnormal condition in which calcium salts are deposited in a tissue of the body. It may also encourage loss of calcium from bone. The parathyroid glands are responsible for regulating homeostasis of blood calcium and phosphate. Calcitonin is a hormone produced by the thyroid gland and it helps to maintain homeostasis of blood calcium, and it functions to prevent excess calcium in the blood.

Greys are more likely to develop hypocalcemia and tetany than hypercalcemia, because of their special requirements for calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. Many foods provide calcium and there is little chance of an overdose by your food supply. But, it is important to regulate the amount of calcium supplied in your bird diet in the form of a supplement; this includes any commercial synthetic feed you may be feeding your Grey. Very often, with good intentions, aviculturists may be over supplementing their birds with certain vitamins and minerals; while on the other hand, others may not be offering adequate quantities in their birds’ diets, therefore, an additional supplement is necessary."

The Importance of Calcium in Our Greys’ Diets

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As you may have guessed by now, I'm a great believer in testing and finding out what is really and truly wrong, so it can be directly attacked. Bscoot has been treated with heavy duty calcium supplementation for a week now and he seems to be falling more often. I wonder if there is something else going on? Does he have a tumor pressing on leg nerves, like Danita's Bea had. Is he having mini-strokes due to a blood/heart/circulation issues? Does he have arthritis and loses his grip? There are many, many things that it could be rather than calcium deficiency/excess.

It's your bird and you have to make the decisions, but I recommend that you have a CBC, Chem Panel and xray done on Bscoot and go from there from what those tests show.

BTW - how old is Bscoot?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks @Hankmacaw interesting read. I asked my vet if we can do an ionized calcium test. She said it requires a lot of blood and she needs to do research on it. She'll let me know. She's not an avian vet but has a lot of bird experience. If she feels she's not equipped for the test she'll send me two hours away to the closest avian vet. I'll be going in tomorrow so we'll talk.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Over and over again you prove that you are a excellent parrot owner. You listen to everyone what they say, and you sure give your birds a living paradise, with great room, both indoors and outdoors. And the food you are giving them are awesome.
If someone deserves healthy and well birds, it's you! I hope B Scoot soon is well, because you deserves it! ♥♥♥
:hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that he fell again last night. I hope that the vetri-DMG will be beneficial to him. Can use with other birds, too, as needed.
Is there anything at all that could be scaring him because it sounds as if he is falling around the same times. It will be interesting to see what is going on when you have the video camera set up.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
As you may have guessed by now, I'm a great believer in testing and finding out what is really and truly wrong, so it can be directly attacked. Bscoot has been treated with heavy duty calcium supplementation for a week now and he seems to be falling more often. I wonder if there is something else going on? Does he have a tumor pressing on leg nerves, like Danita's Bea had. Is he having mini-strokes due to a blood/heart/circulation issues? Does he have arthritis and loses his grip? There are many, many things that it could be rather than calcium deficiency/excess.

It's your bird and you have to make the decisions, but I recommend that you have a CBC, Chem Panel and xray done on Bscoot and go from there from what those tests show.

BTW - how old is Bscoot?
He's 21. The regular chem panel is very inaccurate for calcium levels. Ionized ca testing has to be done. I'll ask her about xrays tomorrow and see if she wants to do a CBC etc. Thank you for caring. He doesn't fall on shot nights. If he falls tonight I'll definitely press for alternative diagnoses. What part of the body should she xray?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The normal xrays for birds is a frontal and a lateral. These are a lateral and frontal xrays of Hank.The little bright spot in his chest is his microchip. 1.2.840.114387.2304342150.11260.19913.36715.235837102918513.jpg 1.2.840.114387.3900659019.15814.17922.46337.276865470419241.jpg

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Over and over again you prove that you are a excellent parrot owner. You listen to everyone what they say, and you sure give your birds a living paradise, with great room, both indoors and outdoors. And the food you are giving them are awesome.
If someone deserves healthy and well birds, it's you! I hope B Scoot soon is well, because you deserves it! ♥♥♥
Ditto!
@Eloy Very well expressed!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Aww you made my eyes mist up. Thank you so much! You are very kind!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So sad to read BScoots problems. I hope it can be resolved soon! He's so fortunate to have you as his caretaker.. Hugs and love BScoot!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sorry that he fell again last night. I hope that the vetri-DMG will be beneficial to him. Can use with other birds, too, as needed.
Is there anything at all that could be scaring him because it sounds as if he is falling around the same times. It will be interesting to see what is going on when you have the video camera set up.

Ran out to best buy and bought the nest internet security camera. We're setting it up now.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I've been following along and look for each update. Praying for an answer for you and
Bscoot

So sad to read BScoots problems. I hope it can be resolved soon! He's so fortunate to have you as his caretaker.. Hugs and love BScoot!!

thank you Linda and Andrea for the well wishes :)