• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder forum

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
I could call the Ann Arbor one, though. A nice debate might be therapeutic.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Google it. You know where you live, I don´t. You may find a closer one. Don´t go there to debate with people. Go there to learn with an open mind.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
@Zara There are actually zero bird rescues in my area. Plus, anti breeding zealots make me want some alcohol. & That goes for anti breeding zealots of ANY ANIMAL
Here's a reality check: A good amount of animals in shelters come from irresponsible breeders. The reason they want you to see a shelter is so you can experience first hand just how much of an epidemic we already have; and what you'd be contributing to. The world isn't lacking in "cute little babies". It has plenty, and you don't have to look far to find them, either.

But by all means... What's a few more innocents to end up in bad homes? What's a few more to wind up abused or neglected?

Zealots is the wrong word. It's called real world experience.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You all have opinions, and you know what those are like.. everyone's got one. I'm under no obligation to do what people here tell me to.

Yes, but a mature individual accepts input from people with more knowledge/experience. And no, you don't have to accept advice; however, your animals, that you took into your home, have to live by your choices. Or die.

Do you know how many cockatiels are in the world already? The world doesn't need more cockatiel chicks, especially from someone who just happens to have a male and a female. Why can't you just enjoy them as they are without putting such a huge strain on their bodies, especially the hens?

There are some people here who are anti breeder and don't distinguish the crap breeder from those who carefully pair birds, offer excellent diets, know how to handfeed and abundance wean their babies, let them fledge, etc. I don't agree with them. However, the distinction is the intent and the quality. It's the difference between a Mercedes and a Yugo. You, my dear, are a Yugo.

You clearly have no true interest in learning, other than sacrificing future chicks for you to "learn." If you did, you wouldn't be so adversarial. I have wasted enough time on you, and it's time to flush the toilet. I'm going to put you on "ignore" as I have a few of the delights on here and go on about my business. However, I sincerely hope you grow up, stop throwing tantrums, seeking attention, and giving your animal family members the lives they deserve. After all, they didn't choose YOU.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
@Peachfaced Why breeding is okay and how they don't have the right to tell people not to breed. Also, how if shelters want less people to buy from breeders, and more people to adopt from them, they shouldn't require that applicants promise not to breed, themselves.

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Also, how if shelters want less people to buy from breeders, and more people to adopt from them, they shouldn't require that applicants promise not to breed, themselves.
I'm not familiar with them asking that - do you mean that they ask you not to breed in general, or not to breed the bird/birds you're adopting?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
There are already two threads discussing this particular situation. I don't think we have to derail this thread, too.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Shelters probably ask potential adoptees not breed because shelters know first hand how there are too many poor birds that need homes and not enough people to provide homes. Shelters are completely overrun with birds. Why would they want you to contribute to that problem? Did you know most parrots are rehomed something like 3 times within the first 2 years of their lives? I don't know the exact figure but it's something like that.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Thats fine, shelters should just realize that by placing those restrictions, they will get less birdies adopted out. That's all.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My experience with inexperienced breeders thus far:

Gemma, my parrotlet (aka best tiny dinosaur) is crippled from a backyard breeder who just wanted to try to breed his male and female. He didn't know the proper diet, causing her to have vitamin deficiencies at a very young age. He also had never put the id bands on a birds legs before but it looked simple enough so he did it to my Gemma...breaking both of her legs in the process, crushing her bones with the tags. He then left her in a nest box because birds can heal themselves right? Thankfully a kind person (an acquaintance of this "breeder" took her and gave her to me.) She had to surgically have the bands, now crushed tightly to her flattened legs, removed. Since she was just a baby when this happened her legs will never be functional like a normal bird. She will not be allowed into a flight cage like her species enjoys. She can only perch on rope or fleece. She can't be allowed to free fly because every landing has the potential to break her bones again. She can only fly over a floor covered in comforters and even then very carefully.

Bowser, my catablu macaw, was bred by a "breeder" with over 40 years experience. He just "loves to breed." Doesn't mean he knows how. Bowser came to me with a massive infection requiring emergency meds and feedings. He also came to me with a badly mangled beak, bitten and crushed by a larger macaw. The flesh on his wing is still mangled to this day, resembling bubble gum, from an attack he suffered at this "breeders" home. I brought him home and got him veterinary care and the love needed. The vets said they've never seen such a frightened baby macaw in their careers. This baby came from a breeder that claims to be the best and even charges for phone conversations about bird care.

What I'm sayings is, if ever I don't speak up for these ones, I wouldn't be able to look at myself. They need people with knowledge and experience to speak for them when they can't. When I first brought home my macaw I thought how hard can this be lol. Then I realized how ignorant my knowledge of parrots was and how humble you have to be to give them the care they deserve. I wasn't trying to be a bad owner to my parrots, I just didn't know what I didn't know. Thank goodness the people of this forum stepped up and walked me through parrot care, from the very basic to the very difficult. I am so grateful to everyone here for that.

I'm going to give my little (and big) ones some extra mash today and be thankful that there will be people like many on this forum to balance out those who choose willful ignorance.
Don't need a response. It's ok to have different opinions. Perhaps ethical breeders are the exception, providing valuable knowledge and evening saving species. But they seem to be the minority.

"The greatest danger to our future is apathy." -Jane Goodall

Last edited: