• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bolivian Blue and Gold Macaw Subspecies

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
I adopted a B&G Macaw a few months from an owner who could not longer care for him. He's significantly bigger than my fiancée's B&G and the blue is much darker has no green/turquoise tint to it. Is there any way to tell if he's a Bolivian B&G? Do you guys believe that it is a real subspecies or is it just a variance within an individual?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:
Do you have pictures?

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
We love pics around here and it'd help seeing what you mean. Not that I've seen many B&Gs but, I am curious about the no green/turquoise you mention.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
The Bolivian blue and gold is not a recognized subspecies, but is speculated as being one. It would be very unlikely to find a pure Bolivian blue and gold in captivity since most breeders tend to put together any 2 blue and golds. Some may specifically choose larger blue and golds, but there's really no detailed records kept stating they're Bolivians or have any lineage.

Your macaw's lineage could have Bolivian blue and gold in it or it could just be a large blue and gold macaw.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Looks like a big bird. How much does he weigh?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, he does look big. Do you have a scale? You should have one. A drop in weight is one of the first signs of illness. You can buy kitchen scales (that weigh in grams) very cheaply at Walmart. You should get one that goes up to at least 5 pounds.

Is he clipped - I'd hate for you to lose your new bird by him flying away. Keeping a harness on him when he is outside is the safest.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good, I'm sort of a fuss budget, but I've also heard the deep grief of too many whose birds have flown away. His wings may be frozen if he hasn't been out of a cage, or he may not have ever been allowed to fledge.

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
What do you mean frozen? His past owner would almost always have him out of the cage, and would even let him sit on a perch outside by himself for hours. I would never recommend that of course but he really hates cages. He'll flap his wings and stretch them out all of the time as well.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well, it's not frozen then. Could be any of many things. My GW male could fly, but he just never wanted to.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
As a non-macaw expert the one thing I noticed was that the gold wasn't as vibrant if that makes any sense?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bolivian blue and gold is a lot like Cameroon African grey, Tres Marie double yellow head, or Magna double yellow head. Like @Diesel13 stated, I think that many bird subspecies have been interbred in the USA, both from lack of knowledge and lack of concern. Over time, these terms became a tool to boost a bird's price for some. In the Abramson book, she does mention some differences in blue & golds. I, too, am curious about the weight. Enjoy your bird!

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
He looks pretty average size to me. The first picture is taken at an angle that makes it appear he has a large head but the rest of the pictures look as they should.
You could be right. Our other B&G was malnourished and we were told she is undersized. The difference is pretty significant though.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My male who is 5 years old has a good 200 grams on my female that's 15. My female at 950 looks much larger than my scarlet and my scarlet is 970. Feather down has a lot to do with the appearance of size, so does tail length for some reason. ;)

Do they get a lot of excercise out of their cages? Most times muscle makes for a healthy looking bird.