• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

difference between bolivian blue and gold and normal blue and gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

shf

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I"m about to purchase a bolivian blue and gold and want to know what the difference is also is 1.5 years old too old to be considered a hand fed baby? I'm purchasing him at 1.5 years old from a breeder that specializes in bolivian blue and gold. Should i get one that is younger than 1.5 years old and is this past the talking stage?

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The talking stage? If birds are going to talk, they will, no matter what age they are. My 25 year old YNA has learned new words since coming to me and still repeats some of the spanish phrases that he hasn't heard since he was a youngster. At 1.5 years, a macaw might be talking already, but he might not. That said, there is zero guarantee any given bird will ever talk, or talk in front of you, even if the bird was a chatterbox in a previous home. He probably will speak macaw though, and likely very loudly, :hehe: :D And he'll certainly say a lot all the time with his body language.

Unfortunately someone else will have to chime in about subtypes of B&Gs, I'm no help there. I do think that 1.5 years is still quite a baby in the sense of mental development, even if the bird is weaned. It may be past the 'prefect completely cuddly and malleable' stage though, and moving towards the next 70 years of its life. :)

"Should" you get one that is younger? Why is it important to you to get a baby? For me, personally, the answer would be a hearty NO, but that is because I enjoy adult birds far more and don't think I could deal well/happily with the 'teenage rebellion' stage and birdy puberty with all of its stress. I prefer to form a mature, adult relationship from the start. I would not be looking for any bird that's hasn't even reached its teens yet. For you though? It all depends on what you want from the bird, what your goals are, and what you're capable of handling.

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
The talking stage? If birds are going to talk, they will, no matter what age they are. My 25 year old YNA has learned new words since coming to me and still repeats some of the spanish phrases that he hasn't heard since he was a youngster. At 1.5 years, a macaw might be talking already, but he might not. That said, there is zero guarantee any given bird will ever talk, or talk in front of you, even if the bird was a chatterbox in a previous home. He probably will speak macaw though, and likely very loudly, :hehe: :D And he'll certainly say a lot all the time with his body language.

Unfortunately someone else will have to chime in about subtypes of B&Gs, I'm no help there. I do think that 1.5 years is still quite a baby in the sense of mental development, even if the bird is weaned. It may be past the 'prefect completely cuddly and malleable' stage though, and moving towards the next 70 years of its life. :)

"Should" you get one that is younger? Why is it important to you to get a baby? For me, personally, the answer would be a hearty NO, but that is because I enjoy adult birds far more and don't think I could deal well/happily with the 'teenage rebellion' stage and birdy puberty with all of its stress. I prefer to form a mature, adult relationship from the start. I would not be looking for any bird that's hasn't even reached its teens yet. For you though? It all depends on what you want from the bird, what your goals are, and what you're capable of handling.
:agreed:

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
I"m about to purchase a bolivian blue and gold and want to know what the difference is also is 1.5 years old too old to be considered a hand fed baby? I'm purchasing him at 1.5 years old from a breeder that specializes in bolivian blue and gold. Should i get one that is younger than 1.5 years old and is this past the talking stage?
Im curious - what makes you think a 1.5 yo is past the talking stage?

My 20 month old is just learning to "talk" some words are clear - some are deaf toning, some are whispers ... shes gotta loooong way to go :dance5:

PS - the diffrence is the size. the bolivian's are much larger then the "normal" B&G's - if you goggle search it click on images and look away!

Last edited:

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
The most obvious difference is size of course. Bolivian B&G's can be as large as a Green Wing.
I have only seen 2 Bolivian B&G's...when you see them in aviaries along with the smaller, normal Blue and Golds, the size difference is amazing.

Just as with Green Wing sub-species, the 'Giant Green Wing' macaws, are much larger than the 'normal' Green Wing macaws.
The giant Green Wing adults are often as large as 1650g or larger, compared to the 'average' size of 1000g-1200g. Coloring is different too, with the Green Wing giant sub species. The red is darker. The head size and shape of beak is different in the 'giants' as well.
(Regarding Green Wings - some breeders claim there is no giant sub-species.
However, this topic is clarified in the book, The Large Macaws. One of the authors was breeding both giants & normals. There really are giant GW's, but difficult to find breeders who have them)

As for the talking stage - birds continue to learn throughout their lives.
There is no need to buy a baby as compared to a 1.5 year old macaw.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You have lots of cockatoos, are you sure you can keep the macaw separated from the 'toos? If not, then provide several very large and powerful air purifiers?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A "Bolivian" Blue and Gold is what some breeders call the larger, darker-colored B&Gs. I don't think they're always necessarily from Bolivia; I doubt the owners always have that information. I think it's just a quick and great-sounding way to describe the size and color.

A 1.5 year old is still a baby--hormones and adolescence are still several years away. Some birds don't even start to talk until they're that old, although many do start earlier. Whether or not a young bird talks has more to do with how he is taught and encouraged (and reinforced) than how old he is. And, as others pointed out, a bird can pick up words his whole life.

Good luck with your baby :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

A "Bolivian" Blue and Gold is what some breeders call the larger, darker-colored B&Gs. I don't think they're always necessarily from Bolivia; I doubt the owners always have that information. I think it's just a quick and great-sounding way to describe the size and color.
Totally agree. Some people even say the Central Scarlet macaw is the "bolivion scarlet" due to its typical large size (centrals can be up to 1200-1300grams) and the size of a GW. They are the larger of the 3 subspecies of scarlets. But central scarlets are from central mexico/Puerto rico and that surrounding area, no where near bolivia.:hehe:

shf

Avenue Veteran
the bolivian is a darker blue color. and the breeder is pretty parrots and friendly ferrets out of alsea, oregon the breeder wants to sell me an older baby who is 1.5 years old and she says he steps up but has not heard any talking so was wondering if he is past the talking stage according to one reader he was past the malleable stage and as far as paying premium price isn't it desirable to get them around 6 months old because they will be easier to train to talk? he weighs in at 1025 grams at 1.5 years old.
if anyone can tell me what the difference is between the bolivian and regular blue and gold it will be appreciated. i believe its the size and color and coloration on the tail bolivians have a clearly noticeable black edging around all of tail feathers.
Is 1025 grams large for a macaw at 1.5 years old?
I'm also considering adopting a rehomed adult what are the advantages of aquiring one thats 6 -8 months old vs 1.5 yrs old vs and adult?
The breeder states that "all of their blue and gold macaws are bolivians" and do bolivians command a higher price and what are the subtle differences between the bolivians and normal blue and golds. I've noticed blue and golds that are much smaller and an aqua fluorescent blue green whereas the bolivian is a deep dark royal blue color.
Is 1.5 years past the talking stage for blue and golds because that is the only reason that I prefer to buy a baby is that I want to train it to talk vs. an adult rehome that may not learn to talk from me a new owner quite easily.

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
the bolivian is a darker blue color. and the breeder is pretty parrots and friendly ferrets out of alsea, oregon the breeder wants to sell me an older baby who is 1.5 years old and she says he steps up but has not heard any talking so was wondering if he is past the talking stage according to one reader he was past the malleable stage and as far as paying premium price isn't desirable to get them around 6 months old because they will be easier to train to talk? he weighs in at 1025 grams at 1.5 years old.
No, he is not past the "talking stage."

You would have to bond with him and teach him though. Just like any parrot--they won't be as likely to talk if they aren't invested in bonding with humans...

That weight is average for a B&G. My female is 1050 g. She is also a darker blue color. I could probably call her "Bolivian" if I wanted to. There is no real difference. It's just a word.

Last edited:

shf

Avenue Veteran
that is a beautiful coloration and beautiful bird the deep dark blue.your bird is beautiful. Was also wondering about blue and gold reputations for being screamers. I had went to a auto repair shop in san jose, ca and there in a makeshift aviary alongside the business was a blue and gold macaw he was huge and lived in an outdoor aviary alone. he didn't seem to be well cared for all that was in his food dish was sunflower seeds and his water was real dirty but he was screaming constantly and it was so loud that you could not hear yourself talk it was probably the loudest of any bird that i have ever heard? I aslo think he may have been a wild bird because the owner of the auto shop said he was very difficult to handle. but my point is that are the hand raised ones that loud.
This bird may have been screaming because i was standing next to his aviary and i was a stranger. but based on his size and the loudness of his calls and his behavior i believe he may have been a wild caught blue and gold and probably wasn't being fed properly.

shf

Avenue Veteran
i'm also considering either a scarlet macaw or blue and gold. so if anyone can give me some tips about either one. I like a loving bird that is less hyperactive or more mellow and less vocal which is the better talker and has the above characteristics.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
that is a beautiful coloration and beautiful bird the deep dark blue.your bird is beautiful. Was also wondering about blue and gold reputations for being screamers. I had went to a auto repair shop in san jose, ca and there in a makeshift aviary alongside the business was a blue and gold macaw he was huge and lived in an outdoor aviary alone. he didn't seem to be well cared for all that was in his food dish was sunflower seeds and his water was real dirty but he was screaming constantly and it was so loud that you could not hear yourself talk it was probably the loudest of any bird that i have ever heard? I aslo think he may have been a wild bird because the owner of the auto shop said he was very difficult to handle. but my point is that are the hand raised ones that loud.
This bird may have been screaming because i was standing next to his aviary and i was a stranger. but based on his size and the loudness of his calls and his behavior i believe he may have been a wild caught blue and gold and probably wasn't being fed properly.
Thank you for the compliment. :)

That is a very sad story about the B&G in the aviary. :( It sounds like he was not well cared for at all. A bird in distress like that is bound to scream.

All large macaws can be very loud, but how often they scream depends on:
1) the personality of the bird
2) how well cared for they are
3) whether they've been taught and rewarded for being quiet (this last one is important)

i'm also considering either a scarlet macaw or blue and gold. so if anyone can give me some tips about either one. I like a loving bird that is less hyperactive or more mellow and less vocal which is the better talker and has the above characteristics.
Generally, B&Gs are thought to be more mellow. But it depends on the bird. There are mellow Scarlets and fiery B&Gs. I'll leave it to the Scarlet owners to give you more info on that.

We've got several folks here who own Scarlets and just love them :)

shf

Avenue Veteran
well he was so much fun to watch while waiting for an hour to get my car fixed, he seemed like he wanted attention but was frightened; the owner said that he wanted attention from the owner; i had some cherries with me and fed him a couple of cherries without the pit; but felt sorry for the bird because he was out in the elements year round it can get 100 degrees in the summer and 32 degrees in the coldest time of the year believe he was there to entertain because he was one of the largest blue and golds that i had ever seen in my life; his screams if he was outside in a housing district the neighbors would probably complain because you could probably hear it a 1/2 mile away easily. and it was constant screaming for the hour that i was there and the environment with the fumes and noise of cars running all day poor bird i thought he belonged in a zoo exhibit.
I also fell in love with a blue and gold with the same coloration dark blue at a petsmart but was a hand fed baby but very large he would cling on the side of his cage and follow me as i walked around his aviary cage at petsmart; clinging on the side of his cage and wanted to take him home but couldn't at the time.
your birds coloring looks exacltly like the one that they are trying to sell me he is 1.5 years old with same dark blue and yellow color.

Last edited:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
The most obvious difference is size of course. Bolivian B&G's can be as large as a Green Wing.
I have only seen 2 Bolivian B&G's...when you see them in aviaries along with the smaller, normal Blue and Golds, the size difference is amazing.

Just as with Green Wing sub-species, the 'Giant Green Wing' macaws, are much larger than the 'normal' Green Wing macaws.
The giant Green Wing adults are often as large as 1650g or larger, compared to the 'average' size of 1000g-1200g. Coloring is different too, with the Green Wing giant sub species. The red is darker. The head size and shape of beak is different in the 'giants' as well.
(Regarding Green Wings - some breeders claim there is no giant sub-species.
However, this topic is clarified in the book, The Large Macaws. One of the authors was breeding both giants & normals. There really are giant GW's, but difficult to find breeders who have them)

As for the talking stage - birds continue to learn throughout their lives.
There is no need to buy a baby as compared to a 1.5 year old macaw.
What type of macaw did they use to breed the giant green wing? I never new there was a giant that is interesting:):)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
felt sorry for the bird because he was out in the elements year round it can get 100 degrees in the summer and 32 degrees in the coldest time of the year ...and it was constant screaming for the hour that i was there and the environment with the fumes and noise of cars running all day poor bird i thought he belonged in a zoo exhibit.
I also fell in love with a blue and gold with the same coloration dark blue at a petsmart but was a hand fed baby but very large he would cling on the side of his cage and follow me as i walked around his aviary cage at petsmart; clinging on the side of his cage and wanted to take him home but couldn't at the time.
your birds coloring looks exacltly like the one that they are trying to sell me he is 1.5 years old with same dark blue and yellow color.
Very sad. I feel so sorry for him just reading your story. They really do need good food, toys, and quality care :( They can be so sweet and loving when they're treated well.

B&Gs do look different under different lighting. Mine seems to change color depending on if she's in sunlight, or under fluorescent lights, incandescent, whatever. And a camera flash makes her look washed out. But, she's pretty dark if you just look at her normally. I've only seen one that was darker, and he was a huge male, maybe 1300 grams or a little more.

shf

Avenue Veteran
i'm also wondering if they sell hybrids between hyacinth and blue and golds maybe the one at petsmart was a hybrid because all that i can remember was that I fell in love with this birds beauty, and personality; and will always remember how beautiful it was following me around while i was in the store i have never seen a bird do this before to me in a pet store. HE was full of so much love and friendliness i could just tell by his demeanor that he was a love sponge and wanted to leave his cage with me but at the time the cost was prohibitive for me i couldn't afford to buy him i belive they were asking close to 2000 dollars for him.
Is this normal for blue and golds to beg for attention with strangers if so I just love the thought of a bird like this.

Last edited:

shf

Avenue Veteran
is this normal for blue and golds to beg for attention from strangers

because this blue and gold;he was really working me i've never encounterd a bird in a petshop begging for attention and following me a stranger around . I love the thought of owning a bird with that much love and trust at first sight.

Last edited:

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
What type of macaw did they use to breed the giant green wing? I never new there was a giant that is interesting:):)
The "giant" Green Wings are a sub-species, from a different region.
They aren't produced by some specialized sort of breeding...the breeder needs to have a pair that are true "giants".
Joanne Abramson, co-author of The Large Macaws, used to breed them. There are still several U.S. macaw breeders that are fortunate enough to have this very large sub-species of Green Wing.
Here's a short blurb in an article, read under the heading: Sub species
A b o u t M a c a w s - A Complete Website About All Macaw Species

And another mention of the larger Green Wing sub species, from Joanne Abramson herself: read under Green Wing heading:

Macaws As Companions - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.