• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bolivian Blue and Gold Macaw Subspecies

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
My male who is 5 years old has a good 200 grams on my female that's 15. My female at 950 looks much larger than my scarlet and my scarlet is 970. Feather down has a lot to do with the appearance of size, so does tail length for some reason. ;)

Do they get a lot of excercise out of their cages? Most times muscle makes for a healthy looking bird.
He gets a lot of time out of the cage, but it's usually on a perch where he flaps his wings all day. The small B&G is a work in progress because she was abused for 17 years.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Males tend to be bigger than females. Not true 100% of the time but with birds its pretty much holds truth. Males tend to be bigger.

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
Yes, he does look big. Do you have a scale? You should have one. A drop in weight is one of the first signs of illness. You can buy kitchen scales (that weigh in grams) very cheaply at Walmart. You should get one that goes up to at least 5 pounds.

Is he clipped - I'd hate for you to lose your new bird by him flying away. Keeping a harness on him when he is outside is the safest.
I was looking into purchasing a gram scale. Do you have any recommendations on one's that work well for weighing birds? I'm assuming a wider base would certainly help. If you know a specific model you'd recommend from Amazon/Walmart/Target that would be greatly appreciated.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I got a Dymo M25 for around $25 that goes up to 25# and does grams also. I also bought an acrylic perch as my birds prefer to perch, not stand, on a scale. Here's Annie on the scale.
image.jpeg

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
I got a Dymo M25 for around $25 that goes up to 25# and does grams also. I also bought an acrylic perch as my birds prefer to perch, not stand, on a scale. Here's Annie on the scale.
View attachment 236909
This is what I found online.

M5 Scale, 5LB Digital Postal Scale https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053HCVRA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NFfmyb8HN3JVF

DYMO Digital Postal Scale / Shipping Scale, 25-pound (1772059) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T5Z25U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bMfmyb68YCEP8

Last edited:

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
I was told after showing several photos to a friend who grew up breeding macaws that George may be a Harlequin and B&G hybrid. I thought that was an interesting observation and motivates me even more to get DNA testing done.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I was told after showing several photos to a friend who grew up breeding macaws that George may be a Harlequin and B&G hybrid. I thought that was an interesting observation and motivates me even more to get DNA testing done.

I see nothing about your bird that says anything other than BG. Males tend to be larger and any Harliquin in him would produce a buff beak streak which I do not see.