• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Birds Beak Broken

My birb

Meeting neighbors
i woke up to go to my cage and one of my buddies upper beak broke off. There’s blood on a lot of parts of the cage but his bleeding stopped. I found his broken beak on the outside of its cage and he looks tired and he won’t eat anything. I’m going to bring him too the vet but I neeed advice.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Get into the ER Vett now good luck

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yes. If you aren't there by now, get there ASAP. That much blood loss can be fatal to a budgie. And a broken upper beak is something that will need continuous special care throughout his life.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you been able to get to a vet? In addition to what everyone else has said, your bird's beak is full of nerve endings. He's in pain and proably in shock which is why he's so subdued.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I know if I was that bird, I wouldn´t be eating anything either! :(

If I found one of my birds like that, I wouldn´t have time to be on the computer, I would be getting the bird in its carrier and heading to the vet, calling whilst on the way to advise them I will be arriving at (ETA) and XYZ is the situation.

I really hope your bird is ok! Poor little guy must be in agony!
Please give an update later once your home and settled.
Maybe investigate how it happened too.

:sadhug:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
the vet will have 1cc syringes.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe wait a little while and then try again.

I would recommend getting the scales out and jotting down and monitering his weight until he´s eating well again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the broken beak. Don't give up trying to syringe feed. If your budgie is not taking food then definitely call the vet or go back to the vet so they can get that little one fed. Hope things will be OK.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he isn't eating willingly, he may need to be gavage fed by the vet for a little while. I'd hate to see him aspirate on top of everything.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh poor little bird!:( I hope you can get him to eat something. Keep us updated on how he’s doing. You might have to take him back to the vet if he doesn’t eat for you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I know you are upset and I don't blame you for feeling that way. Your bird will most likely need to be fed by the vet and they may teach you how to do it. All suggestions made here are good ones. Please check inside the cage to see what your bird may have broken the beak on.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so sorry this happened to your budgie. I'm glad you've been to the vet and have pain medicine for him. It may take a bit of time for him to adjust to eating the soft/liquid food by syringe. As mentioned above it's a good idea to keep a log on your budgies weight if you have scales on hand. What was the liquid food the vet gave? Did they supply you with any of that? What was the current diet of your budgie... eating any form of pellet that you can soak and offer as a soft mashed food? Know that this is very painful for the little guy and he has a few hurdles to overcome but you can do this and help him out. It's been many years on this forum but I remember a little parrolet named Kermit that lost his entire upper beak from being bitten by another bird. It took months but I'm certain it eventually grew back out. Some of the other members that have been here longer than me may well remember that too. It was worse or as bad as your little guy so please be encouraged he can be helped.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I tube/ gavage feed, but you must be careful and experienced, have the vet show you how. Once you get the hang of it, it's not bad. Maybe he could eat from a spoon? Did the vet say the beak was hopefully not damaged to the point where it will grow back? Poor little guy, just remember that this is traumatizing and strange to him..I hope he will be ok.Oh, and the pain meds may also make him not want to eat,,ask your vet for a smaller syinge,,the 1cc are a bit large for a budgies tiny mouth..:hug8: