• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Birds Beak Broken

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Good job managing to feed him! :)

Poor guy, maybe he´s sleepy from the pain or meds?

My birb

Meeting neighbors
@Zara the only problem is that I’m force feeding him because he won’t swallow it so I put it past his tounge then he swallows it.

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Being sleepy is very non-specific though. It could be a bad sign or it could be a sign of healing. In this case, I'd probably use weight as my primary indicator of how the bird is doing.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Being sleepy is very non-specific though. It could be a bad sign or it could be a sign of healing. In this case, I'd probably use weight as my primary indicator of how the bird is doing.
Do not underplay the sleepy eye movement! Birds do not normally sit around with their lids drooping.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do not underplay the sleepy eye movement! Birds do not normally sit around with their lids drooping.
Birds that are injured, in pain, and healing do. I'm not saying it's definitely NOT a problem, just that we can't necessarily determine that it IS one either.

Kodigirl210

I think I would just be cautious as the poor birb lost a lot of blood yesterday and being sleepy/weak might be a serious sign. He may require getting some fluids to up the baby’s blood volume and pressure. I’m sure he is being watched like a precious peanut right now. :sadhug2:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I hope the vet gave you good instruction on how to feed him. If he is swallowing it on his own then that is good. I will take him a little bit of time to get used to it but eventually you may be able to offer the food in the syringe in the front of his mouth and then he will swallow it. Be very careful to get the food in the right place and only give him more if he has swallowed the last bit already.

Right now he is probably in pain and does not really know what has happened. It will take some getting used to.

Did the vet thing it would grow back or was too much broken off? Poor little guy.

How about drinking. It seems to me he may eventually be able to drink since he still has his bottom beak. Did the vet say?

I hope he is feeling better soon.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Could also be low blood glucose. Please check with your vet about the sleeping. Have you figured out what happened to cause this traumatic injury?

Thanks for updating us.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Birds that are injured, in pain, and healing do. I'm not saying it's definitely NOT a problem, just that we can't necessarily determine that it IS one either.

I am also telling you that when my parakeet was attacked by my cat is when the blinking and droopy eye movement came about. She could hardly keep her eyes open. When I first gave her antibiotics it ceased for two weeks, and I was full of false hope. It sadly returned, with death right behind it.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am also telling you that when my parakeet was attacked by my cat is when the blinking and droopy eye movement came about. She could hardly keep her eyes open. When I first gave her antibiotics it ceased for two weeks, and I was full of false hope. It sadly returned, with death right behind it.
Yes, and that's the problem with anecdotal data. You had a bird that died after this symptom. I've had birds that recovered after this symptom, and others that died after this symptom. My point is that it's not a reliable indicator one way or the other, so the OP needs to continue to monitor all signs carefully. With a small bird like this, being overly-aggressive with interventions can be just as harmful as doing too little.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
[ With a small bird like this, being overly-aggressive with interventions can be just as harmful as doing too little.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding. But unfortunately he has to be over aggressive with her just to be able to get food down her mouth; just as I had to be that way with my bird just to get medication down hers. And I am pretty sure that all of it had a more than generous hand in her death.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not here to argue with you. I'm offering the advice that I think is in the bird's best interest on the basis of my experiences, and I recognize that you are doing the same. We don't have to agree. It should go without saying that the vet's advice should overrule me, but I'll say it anyway. My point was only that I think in a bird that has experienced this amount of shock, blood loss, pain, etc., the ability to maintain weight is probably a more reliable indicator of status than sleepiness, which is a non-specific symptom. OP, if you have questions about how your bird is doing, please be assertive about calling your vet and asking.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok, at least feeding him is good , he may not like it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.. the sleepy eye droopy eye thing is most likely from his traumatic experience, watch him, make sure he is getting enough to eat which you are and enough to drink, which would be from the formula, but do offer a few drops of water after feeding to cleanse his mouth and hydrate,,Watch his poo .. only you know what is " him" and his poos,,update when you can, still sending good thoughts and prayers.And, like I suggested before, pain meds will reduce appetite and could cause sleepiness,, please heal little guy.

Last edited: