• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Birds Beak Broken

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I'm not here to argue with you. I'm offering the advice that I think is in the bird's best interest on the basis of my experiences, and I recognize that you are doing the same. We don't have to agree. It should go without saying that the vet's advice should overrule me, but I'll say it anyway. My point was only that I think in a bird that has experienced this amount of shock, blood loss, pain, etc., the ability to maintain weight is probably a more reliable indicator of status than sleepiness, which is a non-specific symptom. OP, if you have questions about how your bird is doing, please be assertive about calling your vet and asking.

I didn't think you were here just to argue with me, since that would be getting the bird nowhere. But you do seem to be underplaying that one symptom and I don't want the OP to get the impression that it is no big deal.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@My birb , How is your bird doing today? I hope everything is going smoothly!!

Did you figure out what caused this yet?

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way ❤

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara he’s doing GREAT. His cage mate helps him preen, cleans him up if dirty and sometimes regurgitates food for him it’s so cute.
I´m so relieved to hear he is doing well!
Aww that is just the sweetest! It´s nice he has a buddy.

Did you figure out what snapped the beak yet?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That really is great news. Again something to show how adaptable birds are, and how good a bonded cage mate can be helping like that.
Good news stories are so great to read.
I don't know if I missed it but what did the vet say about the beak growing back?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Getting sleepy is not a good sign! That is the precise symptom that my injured female budgie displayed two weeks before she died.
Not necessarily... If he is in pain, then he would exhibit sleepiness. My plet almost had her beak ripped completely off by a Senegal. She was sleepy for days. I was so worried, but she got thru it and recovered fully. Her beak looked so strange until it finally grew out.

My birb

Meeting neighbors
@Ripshod @Zara she said she’s not sure that it might grow back but only time will tell but if he doesn’t he’d just need to adapt to what he has right now. And along with this I’m still unsure how this happened I just want to know but I think he probably got his beak stuck on one of the bars and he pulled it out breaking his beak. I feel so bad he must’ve been in so much pain.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
@Ripshod @Zara she said she’s not sure that it might grow back but only time will tell but if he doesn’t he’d just need to adapt to what he has right now. And along with this I’m still unsure how this happened I just want to know but I think he probably got his beak stuck on one of the bars and he pulled it out breaking his beak. I feel so bad he must’ve been in so much pain.
Ugh! I can only imagine.... so sorry this has happend to him. Is there any blood around, near or on the cage? I hope he recovers 100%

My birb

Meeting neighbors
@MauiWendy there was blood on the perches, his cuttlebone, his water bowl, and on the bars on the cage floor. Still unsure how it happened but I found the broken part outside of his cage so that can mean something.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
@MauiWendy there was blood on the perches, his cuttlebone, his water bowl, and on the bars on the cage floor. Still unsure how it happened but I found the broken part outside of his cage so that can mean something.
Can you post a picture of your cage. Maybe he needs a different cage? Just food for thought.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Do you think your ringneck could have done this to your budgie? I know you had it's cage next to your budgies in a previous post.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Do you think your ringneck could have done this to your budgie? I know you had it's cage next to your budgies in a previous post.
That’s a great question... my Senegal almost tore off my P’lets beak. It was horrible.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I would look for pinch points (places where the cage tapers in to a dangerous point) or perhaps a toy (like a bell) that he got hooked on. I'm glad he's managing with you and his buddy.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
[
Not necessarily... If he is in pain, then he would exhibit sleepiness. My plet almost had her beak ripped completely off by a Senegal. She was sleepy for days. I was so worried, but she got thru it and recovered fully. Her beak looked so strange until it finally grew out.
Maybe I should define "sleepiness" as it pertained to Egg: her eyelids were drooping, she kept blinking, and she could hardly keep her eyes open. The vet didn't like it, and neither did I.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That's awesome, hope it completely grows back and he has a happy life.