• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak & Feather

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad that the retests came back negative. Has to be a big load off your mind,

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Test results on the others came back just a few minutes ago. Out of 6 chicks, we have 5 girls and 1 boy. They tested negative for PBFD except for the boy. Like the other 2 that initially tested positive, they said this one is so slight that they want to retest in 2 - 3 weeks to make sure. In the meantime, that means 2 out of quarantine, and 1 now in quarantine. With this in mind, I'm not sure of the source - was it the sick chick that died, or is it cross contamination at the lab. The sick chick was in with the 6 I just had tested. They shared bedding and feeding syringes. Only one tests positive, and it is the oldest. I would think the youngest, with the least developed immune systems would have picked it up as well. It may be the sick chick had nothing to do with this. Not all eggs hatch, and not all chicks survive - that's just reality. So, I really don't know. In any case, I'll get this little guy retested in a few weeks and we'll see what happens.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I'm not a breeder but as a person looking at buying I would hope you'd test those even at low risk of exposure. It's traumatizing to get a pet, fall in love and then find out they have a dangerous illness. Plus if infected babies get out there word of mouth could ruin your reputation as a breeder.
As far as the breeder I'd report them to whatever oversight agency that exists for such things. I doubt they don't know about the issue and its irresponsible for them to continue sending sick animals into the public. Again not a breeder but that's my opinion as a buyer.
I went through this with 3 of the love birds prior to the one I have now. Two were tested positive for PBFD and one was tested positive for polyoma. Bought them from 2 different pet stores and 1 breeder. All tests were down out fo my pocket with no refund. Breeder said it was a false positive but I didn't want to

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
Test results on the others came back just a few minutes ago. Out of 6 chicks, we have 5 girls and 1 boy. They tested negative for PBFD except for the boy. Like the other 2 that initially tested positive, they said this one is so slight that they want to retest in 2 - 3 weeks to make sure. In the meantime, that means 2 out of quarantine, and 1 now in quarantine. With this in mind, I'm not sure of the source - was it the sick chick that died, or is it cross contamination at the lab. The sick chick was in with the 6 I just had tested. They shared bedding and feeding syringes. Only one tests positive, and it is the oldest. I would think the youngest, with the least developed immune systems would have picked it up as well. It may be the sick chick had nothing to do with this. Not all eggs hatch, and not all chicks survive - that's just reality. So, I really don't know. In any case, I'll get this little guy retested in a few weeks and we'll see what happens.
I really hope he tests negative.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It sounds like the chick that passed was unrelated.
I´m glad you got some good results. Hopefully the last little guy tests negative next time.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Brian I am so sorry. It is gut-wrenching. But I thank you for taking the care that you do - and testing them.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good to read that the results for most of the chicks were negative and hope when the boy is retested those results will also be negative.