• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Baby Canaries

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
names for the light one:
since the one is called Hope, I was trying to go with the poem ('hope is the thing with feathers')
And suggestions for that would be Emily, dickens (dickinson), or Gail (gale)
But I also like Faith, because you feed her and have faith she'll make it.
most of them seem to be sorta girly names, but dickens could be either.
Okeedokee. Hope and Faith it is. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A Hope and Faith update.

This was right after their bath, which was necessary because they end up wearing their food!

They should've opened their eyes by now. I think they might tomorrow. IMG_8598.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
We lost Hope during the night.

Faith's weight is up to 3 grams.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that.
They are such tiny and fragile lives.
I'll keep Faith in my thoughts

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that.
They are such tiny and fragile lives.
I'll keep Faith in my thoughts
Yes they are. Unfortunately when we lose one, we go over and over what we did wrong. Hubby fed them last so he’s questioning himself.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Might have to feed more frequently. For day olds I fed every 45 mins and their crops were stuffed. How often are you feeding? Offering?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Might have to feed more frequently. For day olds I fed every 45 mins and their crops were stuffed. How often are you feeding? Offering?
Feeding about every 3 hr the last 2 days, before that we were at 2 hours. Offering maybe hourly every so often just to be sure, they are not interested until 2.5-3 hours.

He is 9 days old.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry you lost Hope:sadhug2:Both of you did everything you could, sadly you just can't save them all, sometimes it is just not meant to be:sadhug2: Don't blame yourself:heart: Faith Will be in my thoughts and hopefully this little fluffball Will pull through:heart:

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Really sorry to hear about your loss! Although I should share with you my experience with our two clutches of baby's! First clutch of four and second clutch of three. First of all, you should not be feeding them, all you need to do is boil and egg, break it in half and put it in the cage for the parents after it cools down. The parents do all the feeding. I did this and gave them lettuce occasionally, but always had boiled egg for them. The father knew exactly what to do and fed them the egg and their crops were full all the time. And I never touched them at all but did try feeding one through the cage but it's best to let the parents do the work. They stayed in the next for two weeks and grew very fast, yes the nest was dirty but I didn't touch them and don't think they can take a bath because they can't drink water yet is what I was told. The mom will clean the nest and pick the dirt off of it.

All 4 survived and are still alive today. The second clutch of three eggs went fine too. Except I separated the first clutch from them because they would keep trying to eat the food meant for the baby's and would play around at the nest. One of the baby's even fell on the bottom of the cage. He/she was still moving, picked it up and put it back into nest and he/she is perfectly fine today with exception of tangled up right foot so he/she slips but is mostly doing well. Again gave boiled egg every day and lettuce. And the parents did all the work. In the very early first day or two of birth the father feeds the mother and she stays in the nest feeding the baby's. Eventually the dad does most of the work.

We have seven baby's total(didn't intend on second clutch but didn't mind it, now that is our limit as we are not breeding and these are personal pets. We felt bad for the father who was our only canary and was lonely in need of a mate) and they are all doing well. It's relatively easy if the parents are available. Again sorry for your loss and hope the rest survive and do well!

Adam21

Strolling the yard
This is the nest the mother setup herself using paper towel and string I got from petSmart :

20170403_155712.jpg

This is a baby girl from the first clutch after leaving the nest(two week period):
20170423_164603.jpg

Baby(unsure if girl or boy yet) from second clutch after leaving the nest, you can see father still feeding one of the baby's in the background:
20170606_172840.jpg

Good luck and once they leave the nest I still give boiled egg and lettuce as they can't eat on their own just yet! :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is the nest the mother setup herself using paper towel and string I got from petSma

Good luck and once they leave the nest I still give boiled egg and lettuce as they can't eat on their own just yet! :)
Hi Adam, thanks for sharing. Your babies are beautiful.

If you read the first post, you will see that I have taken over feeding the babies because the parents abandoned them. They were not going to feed them (even though both are good parents). Usually this means something is wrong with the babies -- they got dumped out of the nest and chilled so maybe that was it.

Just for future info, you can clean nests and nest boxes for your birds without harm. This is contrary to what you might have heard, but domesticated birds are ok with you handling eggs, babies, and nests. I generally line mine with paper towels, and when it is dirty I lift all the nesting material with the paper towels, toss, and replace. I give the parents new nest material and within a half hour they've set it up to their satisfaction. Do this only a couple times during the nest period.

Also, you might want to avoid string as nest material ; it can get hung around baby feet and cause big problems. Try clean hay, newspaper shreds, and bits of burlap no larger than 2 inches.

You are right that boiled egg is great for babies and nesting parents. It offers good protein for all. Not sure why you're serving lettuce? For the water content, maybe?

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Hi Adam, thanks for sharing. Your babies are beautiful.

If you read the first post, you will see that I have taken over feeding the babies because the parents abandoned them. They were not going to feed them (even though both are good parents). Usually this means something is wrong with the babies -- they got dumped out of the nest and chilled so maybe that was it.

Just for future info, you can clean nests and nest boxes for your birds without harm. This is contrary to what you might have heard, but domesticated birds are ok with you handling eggs, babies, and nests. I generally line mine with paper towels, and when it is dirty I lift all the nesting material with the paper towels, toss, and replace. I give the parents new nest material and within a half hour they've set it up to their satisfaction. Do this only a couple times during the nest period.

Also, you might want to avoid string as nest material ; it can get hung around baby feet and cause big problems. Try clean hay, newspaper shreds, and bits of burlap no larger than 2 inches.

You are right that boiled egg is great for babies and nesting parents. It offers good protein for all. Not sure why you're serving lettuce? For the water content, maybe?
That's really unfortunate, I suspected that was the case and skimmed through first page and must have overlooked that info. I can't think of why that would happen, what would be wrong with the babies that the parents would suspect? For one of our babies, he was thrown out but I suspected the other babies were the culprits. If it was the mother I put that baby back and it survived and was fed like the others. Maybe try putting the babies with the parents again and give them boiled egg? If that doesn't work, I guess you would feed more of the canary baby formula. I tried it but it was difficult for me to get the food right in the crop and you had to do it at an angle, it was frustrating.

Not sure why I added lettuce, but for the parents to eat as well but the father kept feeding the babies all the time. The mother stopped after the first couple days so thank the Lord for him, lol! Thanks for the tip, in the future if we have space for another clutch I'll give her different nesting material! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don't know what was wrong with the babies, @Adam21 ! We had good luck with these 2 parents before!

I did give the babies back at first, and the parents sat on them for the first 16 hours off and on but then they quit entirely. I could try putting the one baby that's left with them but I feel like it is useless, and the baby might get too cold...I'll think on it. ;)

That's good that your canary dad is a good dad. I read that you're supposed to remove the male! Thank goodness you didnt and I didn't, they are good little parents! And it is relief for the mommy bird.

You are right about hand feeding -- it is difficult and you worry the whole time: are they eating enough? Did I give them too much? Etc etc. This baby is a little stronger now, and he can raise up and beg so it helps that he stops when full.

Faith is up to 3.3 grams. LOL

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry about Hope :sorrow: