• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Green Cheeks too loud?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
In the future (I have no idea when!) I really want to get a GCC. But i hear they can be loud. I don't personally mind, i actually like seeing a bird do its flock calls and such, every time my Rainbow would do his flock calls, i heard him from the other side of the house, and it would make me smile, cause i think it's cute how little birds can have such loud calls!

Anyway, back to the subject. My family probably doesn't want a really loud bird. I know at least two of them, have a hard time with loud noises, like a baby screaming. But they were okay with budgie noises. My one brother even said that he is so used to budgie noises he doesn't even notice when they used to chirp. So maybe they would be ok with some noise?

The bird would be in my room, I have no idea how thick the walls will be, but the door to my room will be closed all the time (just in case we get cats, and i just feel like i should have my door shut if i have a bird inside, don't know why lol)

So what do you think, if a GCC was to scream, how much would it effect people in other parts of the house? Would they here a slight noise, chirping, or high pitched screaming?

Should i go for something quieter? Sorry if this is a weird question.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends. My green cheek was the only bird that gave me noise complaints from my neighbors. She had a very shrill call.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know this is an annoying answer, but it really depends on the bird. I manage to keep both a CAG and a B&G macaw in a duplex apartment with no issue.

All birds are loud every once in a while, usually in the morning during peak birdsong hours, but as for whether they're loud on a regular basis, that depends on personality and environment. GCCs are, however, far more high-pitched in their calls than a larger bird, and those yells can pierce ear drums, I swear.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for your replies!

So what do you guys suggest? Should i avoid getting a Green Cheek?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends :p Like I can't do the constant chatter of budgies, nor can I do large conures. I'm actually really noise sensitive as I've gotten older and so it really limits me on my species.

So it's about YOU and your family's tolerances, mixed with the individual bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would play some videos for your family of GCCs and see what they think of the sounds. Everyone tolerates noises differently. After livng with a cockatoo, I don't consider a GCC loud, but it's all relative. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
What great ideas! I will play a video of GCC to them, see what they say! If they don't like it, i could probably get a cockatiel, as that's my second choice but I really want a GCC they suite my lifestyle perfectly, other than the noise :(

They are all different. My boys are usually the alarmists. Carlton was rehomed to me for free because he yells...a lot. But with so many, it's not really an issue. Alarm call
Wow! You have a lot of GCCS! It looks awesome! I bet you love them :) Have you named them all?

Last edited:

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
My boy is the alarmist too. :lol: My girl rarely ever makes a loud noise, but my boy has the very shrill call and he likes to use it a lot. For the mosttttt part me and my family don't mind. If you're downstairs you can hear it, but its easily drowned out by daily lifestyle noises (they live primarily upstairs). If you're in the same room when its going off... welll... :faint: but with a lot of headaches/migraines I'm sensitive to noise. It wasn't until we put up the outdoor aviary this year though that my neighbors even realized we had birds...and not because they heard them, but because they were trying to figure out if we were going to illegally keep chickens. :rofl::rofl:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Here is our Jenks calling out the window at birds and the local train. :lol:Our little dude is pretty loud most of the time.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My boy is the alarmist too. :lol: My girl rarely ever makes a loud noise, but my boy has the very shrill call and he likes to use it a lot. For the mosttttt part me and my family don't mind. If you're downstairs you can hear it, but its easily drowned out by daily lifestyle noises (they live primarily upstairs). If you're in the same room when its going off... welll... :faint: but with a lot of headaches/migraines I'm sensitive to noise. It wasn't until we put up the outdoor aviary this year though that my neighbors even realized we had birds...and not because they heard them, but because they were trying to figure out if we were going to illegally keep chickens. :rofl::rofl:
Good to know, so when your upstairs, it's not super loud, or annoying? I honestly don't care about the noise, but maybe i will change my mind not sure! :rofl:That's so funny! I guess they were hoping to get a few eggs out of it!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Yes quite loud, but i must say, he's adorable!!! :heart:
Thank you we think so too, his cuteness out ways the noise for us. We do stick headphones or ear plugs in at times when he really gets going yelling out the window. :lol:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:bored:

I don't think Rupert realizes he's a Conure. He doesn't sound a thing like these samples. He does have this obnoxious BAJAAAAAANT when he wants you, and this other very "parrot" sound that he does when he's upset about being covered at night - it doesn't happen very often, but sounds a bit like rap-bapbap! I'm not sure I've ever been able to capture it in a recording.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:bored:

I don't think Rupert realizes he's a Conure. He doesn't sound a thing like these samples. He does have this obnoxious BAJAAAAAANT when he wants you, and this other very "parrot" sound that he does when he's upset about being covered at night - it doesn't happen very often, but sounds a bit like rap-bapbap! I'm not sure I've ever been able to capture it in a recording.
That's funny. I always feel like Blu doesn't know he's a quaker. He really never screams and when he does make bird like sounds, it sounds more like a cockatiel whistle.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread since Blu is a quaker and not a GCC. But it just goes to show you that each and every bird is so different.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What great ideas! I will play a video of GCC to them, see what they say! If they don't like it, i could probably get a cockatiel, as that's my second choice but I really want a GCC they suite my lifestyle perfectly, other than the noise :(

Wow! You have a lot of GCCS! It looks awesome! I bet you love them :) Have you named them all?
That's at the old house. There are even more now. Yes, they all have names, even the wee wild ones.

names.jpg

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
My GCCs aren’t loud. They can kind of burble noise all the time but it reminds me of the tiny boxy robots from Star Wars. Pippin often chirps but it actually sounds like a duck or a tree frog and it isn’t loud at all. They are rarely loud and only on 3-guaranteed occasions. :bored:

1. When the vacuum cleaner is on
2. When I get home
3. If Pippin wants to go to bed and she wants to go to bed now and not by herself.

The vacuum dictates how long they are loud but they aren’t noisier than the vacuum so it doesn’t matter. My welcome home shriek is less a couple seconds and the bed shriek can last about 2 seconds and she usually does it about 3x in a row. :eek:

My CAG imitating the GCCs is more of an issue than the GCCs. Not only could it shatter glass, I honest to goodness go deaf for a minute or 3. :omg:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
All birds can be loud...GCC & tiels can be LOUD. I never has a GCC but a tiel can be heard outside. While it should not bother anyone outside or a few rooms away in a house it depends on the bird & the people. If they want quiet it will never be quiet. If they read or work & want quiet it will never be quiet.

Some birds will vocalize more espe if they have been rewarded for it. Once in a while is not bad but some can do it every few minutes like clockwork all day.

Tiels, meyers, inho are not quiet...I have real bad noise anxiety. Mostly my guys are a dream but thre are those days or times when it gets on my nerves big time. I have earplugs & a shooters headset just in case...LOL