• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Green Cheeks too loud?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone! I've started another thread about what bird to choose cause I'm not sure if I can get a GCC.

But that makes me really sad, I really want a GCC.

This maayy sound silly, but it's not possible to get a GCC that is quiet from the beginning... right? Or a way to teach them to be quieter, without harming their natural ways???

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Or, could you make the room sound proof, to block any noises from coming out? (Atleast a majority of noises) I just really want a GCC, I'm sure a lot of you can understand...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes you can sound proof a room, but it can easily cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Yes you adopt an adult bird that is prone to being quieter (like my Jardine's is) but as mentioned earlier some things will encourage them to be louder (like being in a room alone). Busy birds are less likely to be noisy so having lots of foraging opportunities and things to do can help, as well as being in the middle of the action.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes you can sound proof a room, but it can easily cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Yes you adopt an adult bird that is prone to being quieter (like my Jardine's is) but as mentioned earlier some things will encourage them to be louder (like being in a room alone). Busy birds are less likely to be noisy so having lots of foraging opportunities and things to do can help, as well as being in the middle of the action.
True, i meant like blankets over the doors or something, but forget it lol

Right, if i decide to get a GCC, I will have to get a lot of toys ;) But unfortunately, the bird may be alone in my room for a few hours a day. So that's a little concerning...

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
If you treat your bird intelligently then you shouldn’t have an issue. You can Help them learn how to be independent. Foraging and toys help. You’re talking about being gone for a few hours at a time. Barely a nap in most bird’s language - not days on end.

They are also very good at recognizing routines. If you leave the house at a certain day, use the same phrase every time. It will help your birb to know that now is time when hooman slave is gone but will come back.

I say, “I have to go to work now. I’ll be back soon.” Yes they look a little disappointed but at the same time there’s no noise because they are used to it.

Pippin doesn’t a rip if I leave - she just jumps me when I get home and at bedtime. The rest of the time she is keeping herself busy and doesn’t need me.

Sif is a little more clingy but CaGs are like that. Even she barely blinks when I leave as long as I tell them where I’m going.

You will never find a bird that is 100% quiet all of the time unless it’s a stuffie. You just have to understand that and then adapt. :)

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
Obviously every bird is different but I find that solo birds and birds not left in cages all day are much less prone to be noisy. I have a crimson bellied conure, not quite a GCC of course but similar, and he never makes much noise. I realize this may not be the norm, as I said every bird is different, but really the only time he starts screaming is when the dogs are barking or the vacuums going. Both cases the other party is often louder :p He'll also scream for a few seconds when I leave him in his cage to go to bed. It's never ear piercing though; I should get a recording of him making noise sometime.

As Kodi said toys definitely help. Zephyr is often just chewing on some newspaper or a toy while I'm on the computer, not making even a single chirp. A quiet, engaging & peaceful environment makes for a much quieter bird.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Lupen I'd love to hear Zephyr's night time grumble! I'm going to try to get Galahad's tonight. It's really odd...

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm starting to think, I may be able to get a GCC. But ever since i found out about the noise, I researched other birds, and now I think I'm crossed between a GCC or a Lovebird. I wish i could just get both tbh but then, the noise will probably be 100x louder. This is why i hate decisions... but I have a while to think. I'm probably not getting my bird till later in the year, or early next year. But I hate not knowing what's coming, like looking for a house is nerve-racking for me :lol:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I don't think my lovebird is loud, but it's relative. My friends say she's loud :confused: Lovebirds definitely chatter all day and when my Aoife wants my attention.... :jawdrop1: When I first got her I did think she was loud, but now I can sleep right through her chatter! She doesn't shriek though... So that's a definite plus. I mean, besides that she's hilarious and really entertaining.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Why don't you visit a rescue and meet different types of birds? See what you think?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's a good idea! I will visit a rescue soon, once I move into my new house ;)

Kodigirl210

Yep. This is too academic. Until you actually meet some of the birds you are interested or didn’t even know you were interested in, this is all word play. You can tell someone a thousand things but reality is, when you find the one, you find the one. Pippin was actually a minor miracle as at first someone else was going to get her but then she became available and turned out to be the perfect bird for me. :)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Alright so, I have some good news!

My family and I went to petsmart today and we looked at the little green cheek there. He was so full of energy and kept rolling over and flapping around! He was so cute! My family loved him, and we've been looking at green cheeks on kijiji now! My family is all in! They just adored him! However we don't have our house yet, so we can't get one for a while. The only person left to convince is my sister who is currently away. We will be sharing a room. But, she will be moving out shortly so, I will get one eventually, even if I have to wait a bit.

So I really might be getting a GCC and I'm so excited!