• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Green Cheeks too loud?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I guess it's everyone's own tolerance to noise, but I don't find GCCs to be overly loud...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It depends. My green cheek was the only bird that gave me noise complaints from my neighbors. She had a very shrill call.

The shrill call sounds like Astro. She's probably annoyed with Rocket since he hangs out in her cage in the evening. He's usually on the open swing down door, or on top swinging the metal tab that keeps the door closed, but lately he's picking different perches in her cage to sit on. Once in a while he makes a trek back to his own cage to get his jollies on his rope perch and then goes back to her cage. o_O

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Okay, thanks everyone! We are looking to move into a new house soon, my uncle is looking for one that allows birds for me, which is really nice. I will try and get an appropriate room for my bird and I. If at all possible I will try to get my room separated from the rest of the family, as in like if my room was in the basement, if the bird screeched maybe everyone else wouldn't hear it as much? Basically, it's okay if they can hear it, as long as it's not irritating for them.

I'm sure my family will be okay, but maybe I will somehow get them to meet a GCC in person, let them hear the noises, see how they act and all, just so that they are part of the decision too. I'm just so in love with GCCs right now, they seem so perfect for me right now, they have all the traits I want in a bird, I hope it works out. I love how their like big parrots in a small body, cause I would so love a large parrot like a macaw, but mum said no lol. If not, maybe I will get a tiel, or some other bird of similar size.

I'm still open to any of your thoughts about green cheek noises!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
My best thought about GCC noises? Unbearably cute. Pippin sleep talks all the time. Just soft Little trills, clicks and soft whistles with her eyes closed. It’s almost like it’s her REM sleep and she’s dreaming about talking to other birds. And of course one of the sound I make is a click click click pause click. And she learned it within 2 weeks of being here. My clever little darling. I love my CAG loads but I love Pippin just as much.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My best thought about GCC noises? Unbearably cute. Pippin sleep talks all the time. Just soft Little trills, clicks and soft whistles with her eyes closed. It’s almost like it’s her REM sleep and she’s dreaming about talking to other birds. And of course one of the sound I make is a click click click pause click. And she learned it within 2 weeks of being here. My clever little darling. I love my CAG loads but I love Pippin just as much.
:heart::heart::heart::heart: That's so cute!!!

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think i probably will get a GCC they are just too cute.... :heart::heart::heart: That is, after a talk with my fam.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If at all possible I will try to get my room separated from the rest of the family, as in like if my room was in the basement, if the bird screeched maybe everyone else wouldn't hear it as much? Basically, it's okay if they can hear it, as long as it's not irritating for them.
This might backfire on you: birds find it stressful to be separated from their flock, and are likely to call loudly and incessantly if they can hear you in other parts of the house but they cannot get to you. When I visit my parents, Leia stays in a bedroom and yells for me if she can hear me but I'm not in the room with her. She can't join me because my parents have dogs and like to leave doors open - it's not safe for her to be anywhere else in the house. In my flat, Leia's cage is in the living room where I spend most of my time and she's quiet as can be.

Kodigirl210

I guess it also depends on the bird and the individual. While my daughter’s Pineapple has the need to call out - Pippin has no such need. She’s very independent and let’s me know when I’m allowed to interact or goof around with her. I told my friend that she was the perfect bird for me and while I love my velcro CAG I love my Pippin just as much for the exact opposite reason and that is because she is so independent ;)

Peaches1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kalee
I noticed that peaches my male GCC is usually quite when he’s in his cage (couple of singing/talking here and there) as long as I get him out for playtime. They are kinda like toddlers the more you wear them out the better:roflmao:. But I have to agree with everyone else that it also varies between conures. These type of birds love attention and being around people. Wish you the best of luck in getting one! ;)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
This might backfire on you: birds find it stressful to be separated from their flock, and are likely to call loudly and incessantly if they can hear you in other parts of the house but they cannot get to you. When I visit my parents, Leia stays in a bedroom and yells for me if she can hear me but I'm not in the room with her. She can't join me because my parents have dogs and like to leave doors open - it's not safe for her to be anywhere else in the house. In my flat, Leia's cage is in the living room where I spend most of my time and she's quiet as can be.
Wow, really? Yeah, but I can see why ;) I will have to think about that then, maybe my family will come to love my GCC. Then it wouldn't be an issue. I know my dad will. But if it has a sweet personality, then maybe everyone will like it? Not sure, mostly I'm kind of gonna be like "don't touch my baby" but i will share from time to time..... maybe :hehe:

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo has his moments when he tries to communicate with his friends near his window, but on the whole is mostly noisy in that he yaks his butt off! His constant demand for kisses and ice cream is enough to melt your heart and cave in to his demands!

It’s a Pilo thingy! :rofl:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, really? Yeah, but I can see why ;) I will have to think about that then, maybe my family will come to love my GCC. Then it wouldn't be an issue. I know my dad will. But if it has a sweet personality, then maybe everyone will like it? Not sure, mostly I'm kind of gonna be like "don't touch my baby" but i will share from time to time..... maybe :hehe:
Please don't bet on it. Many of us here will put up up with all sorts of noises because we love our birds. Your family will not necessarily be the same - the same sounds may really annoy them.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Please don't bet on it. Many of us here will put up up with all sorts of noises because we love our birds. Your family will not necessarily be the same - the same sounds may really annoy them.
That's true. I will have to get them to hear them first. Some of you suggested playing videos of GCCs and seeing what they think, I will try that.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Pilo has his moments when he tries to communicate with his friends near his window, but on the whole is mostly noisy in that he yaks his butt off! His constant demand for kisses and ice cream is enough to melt your heart and cave in to his demands!

It’s a Pilo thingy! :rofl:
Aww! He really knows how to use his cuteness to manipulate you! lol

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
GCCs can GET loud.. when they want to be. I've had Zazu for almost a year now. If I'm in the room with her She is fine and quiet. If I go to the bathroom (which is also in my room) and her sight of me is gone. She begins to contact call. If I come home and I dont greet her or i sit and talk for 10 min with my parents or help my mom to the bathroom or help shower her BEFORE i go see Zazu (or heck. Even after) if I am out of sight from Zazu she will chirp until I come back in. Unless its night time and I turn off my room light and go watch TV. Then she puts herself to bed.

I wouldnt say she is LOUD. But she does make noise . I cant hear her if I leave the apartment which is what I wanted And no complaints from any neighbor . Only time I wanna turn her into a chicken nugget is when I am trying to sleep in and she chirps and chirps and even thrills or makes a very bad attempt at a whistle to get me up to uncover her and let her out.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have a black capped conure. He's a goof. He's not particularly loud although my lovebird is teaching him bad habits :wideyed: Every bird is an individual, and my boy is still really young, but the noises he makes in this video are primarily what he does. The loud higher pitched chirp is my lovebird.