• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another gramatical pet peeve!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
hhhmm..... wondering if I can sneak in there and teach Jen's Greys how to say 'per saaaay' with a Southern accent so there is no confusion on the spelling :laughing6:
Oh, I'm sure they'd pick up pretty quick on just about anything that annoys me!:) I don't know that I mentioned that Clancy now says, "Sorry Clanc". He isn't taking the move well and I always say that when I startle him...now he's saying it to me!:)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In all honesty, the Cake/Caique has not been my cup of tea, per say.........................:D;)

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I didnt know that. Thanks :)

Without you're post I wouldn't have known. I hope I don't loose it amongst the other threads. I mite forget where it is....or it wont be in the write spot. :p

No really though...thanks for the post because I've said "per say" beforex which is incorrect.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
he sounds like a sweetheart :heart:
He is but he's extremely nervous about hands and changes. He was finally stepping up for me after three years and now we're back to "No way mom, those five fingered things are too scary!" He was almost euthanized because his former owner, who was dying of cancer, thought that no one would give him a good home, but my boss talked her out of it and the rest is history.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
In all honesty, the Cake/Caique has not been my cup of tea, per say.........................:D;)

I think the Caique/Cake thing has been pretty funny, especially to newbies who think we're losing our minds!:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I didnt know that. Thanks :)

Without you're post I wouldn't have known. I hope I don't loose it amongst the other threads. I mite forget where it is....or it wont be in the write spot. :p

No really though...thanks for the post because I've said "per say" beforex which is incorrect.

Oh, I see we have another wise birdie in the ranks!;)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I like it when somebody types, "please bare with me." Okay, here ya go...

Ginger

Attachments

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like it when somebody types, "please bare with me." Okay, here ya go...

Ginger
:laughing11::laughing7::laughin::laughing1: K Ginger, is this bare enough?
Picture 104.jpg

Gee Jen, wonder what happened to your helpful thread:huh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Oh, I see we have another wise birdie in the ranks!;)
Lol did you like my unintentional typo too? Oops.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I think the Caique/Cake thing has been pretty funny, especially to newbies who think we're losing our minds!:)
and here I always thought Cake was like a nickname or abbreviation for Caique for lazy typers like moi :eek: :rofl:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

Lol did you like my unintentional typo too? Oops.

Actually, I thought you were trying to send a message! LOL!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

and here I always thought Cake was like a nickname or abbreviation for Caique for lazy typers like moi :eek: :rofl:

Could be! I thought it was confusion on how to say the word!:)

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hate it when people use the word "irregardless". There is no such word..the word is "regardless". also I, personally...just say I ..no need to add the personally.
Thank you! I really hate that. Regardless is the word to use. Wrong use of the apostrophe drives me up the wall.
I have said countless time to DH that the apostrophe is used for possession, not plural!! And the word, its' -- ain't so such creature. Never, never never exists in that form. No apostrophe after the 's'. Drives me insane. I've even seen incorrect usage of the apostrophe on the front page of newspapers. OMG. No excuse for that, unless the copy editor was high.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thank you! I really hate that. Regardless is the word to use. Wrong use of the apostrophe drives me up the wall.
I have said countless time to DH that the apostrophe is used for possession, not plural!! And the word, its' -- ain't so such creature. Never, never never exists in that form. No apostrophe after the 's'. Drives me insane. I've even seen incorrect usage of the apostrophe on the front page of newspapers. OMG. No excuse for that, unless the copy editor was high.
I'm so with you on the aposthrophe s as well...I was just reading something from Barbara Heidenreich and she made that mistake too...doesn't anyone check their writing before publishing?!?!?!?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Just for those of you who mentioned it above, the difference between lay and lie is that lay is a transitive verb and lie is intransitive. With lay, it MUST take an object: I lay a book down, I lay myself down, I lay the dog down. With lie, you lie down, he lies down, the dog lies on the carpet, etc. The subject is the one lying, whereas with laying there is something that is getting laid down.

(I am an English teacher and a tried and true grammar and spelling freak. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.