• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another gramatical pet peeve!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
Haha, I have my pet peeves too, I have when people say "aks" instead of of "ask". It drives me NUTS. Or: their/there, etc./ect., lay/lie (I still get confused with that one!), accept/except, anyway/anyways (the worst, it is not anyways!!!!)
It is funny you bring that up, because on the radio the other day, there was a story about a teacher unable to correct her children using 'aks' by telling them the word is 'ask' because it was considered... well.... it was a local teacher and she was told to stop correcting her student's speech patterns. Enough said. :)

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Just for those of you who mentioned it above, the difference between lay and lie is that lay is a transitive verb and lie is intransitive. With lay, it MUST take an object: I lay a book down, I lay myself down, I lay the dog down. With lie, you lie down, he lies down, the dog lies on the carpet, etc. The subject is the one lying, whereas with laying there is something that is getting laid down.(I am an English teacher and a tried and true grammar and spelling freak. :) )
Same here. I am a former elementary teacher, and I always notice grammar and spelling inconsistencies. It is one reason I will reject a resume.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Just for those of you who mentioned it above, the difference between lay and lie is that lay is a transitive verb and lie is intransitive. With lay, it MUST take an object: I lay a book down, I lay myself down, I lay the dog down. With lie, you lie down, he lies down, the dog lies on the carpet, etc. The subject is the one lying, whereas with laying there is something that is getting laid down.

(I am an English teacher and a tried and true grammar and spelling freak. :) )
Cool! Thanks Coco! There are others that drive me crazy because I can never figure them out too. I can't think of them right now, but maybe I'll post them later and have you explain when to use them...I am definitely NOT an English teacher! LOL!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Cool! Thanks Coco! There are others that drive me crazy because I can never figure them out too. I can't think of them right now, but maybe I'll post them later and have you explain when to use them...I am definitely NOT an English teacher! LOL!
I love grammar... I honestly think it is very fun :D To me it's like a very intricate puzzle. Send all questions my way!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

I love grammar... I honestly think it is very fun :D To me it's like a very intricate puzzle. Send all questions my way!
I can find it a little frustrating...English is supposed to be one of the hardest languages to learn...glad it was my first language! LOL!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I can find it a little frustrating...English is supposed to be one of the hardest languages to learn...glad it was my first language! LOL!
I think that grammatically, English is probably the most difficult. Usually English and Chinese are quoted as the most difficult languages to learn, but as a speaker of both language, I personally think that spoken English is more complicated. The reason why Chinese is so difficult to learn is because the written language is so expansive as it has no alphabet. Grammatically, Chinese is not terribly complex. There are no tenses nor verb conjugations in most cases.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I love grammar too, Coco. My mum and brothers always come to me to ask to check their spelling/grammar. :o:

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
One that bothers me is "I seen (whatever)" Ugh. There's a manager where I work who says anything that he "seen" and it drives me up the walls. I can't even stand being around him when he's speaking as a result. "I seen the UPS driver when I was getting groceries." "I seen the mail man come early today." "I seen a dog in someone's backyard." *smacks*

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Spoken English was a breeze to learn. Written is a whole different ball game, between the grammar and spelling I was lost most of the time :huh:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:rofl: Ha!! I noticed right away the grammatical error in the title of this thread!!!:rofl: Good to know that not everyone is perfect!:D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Sorry, forgot the music ;)
My mom and I saw Tom Jones in NJ, when I was nine.:o:D
I see people misuse the words to and too.
I go to the beach.
I love the sun too.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I took a test at an agency where they marked as incorrect my spelling of the word neighbour. I had to point out to them that this is Canada and in most of the English speaking world, neighbour is spelled "neighbour" and color is spelled "colour." The test was later graded correctly but I was surprised that an personnel agency would not know this. I was then further surprised to learn that most Americans do not know that most of the English speaking world does not say "zee" as the final letter of the alphabet. We know that they say "zee", yet they do not know that we say "zed", nor do they know that we spell our words differently. I actually had someone ask me what a "zed" was.. :huh:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

deee

Avenue Veteran
Oh since we are on the subject..

It drives me crazy when somone says *Youse guys* or Hows come?* am I the only one who hears people use these words?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Nope. Go to NYC for 'youse' and you will hear it all over. Go down south for 'hows come'.

I have a good friend in Perth, WA (Western Australia) and we have been trading words from our different countries. Her latest was 'funguzzy' for a rope that was left out in the cold and rain of the Aussie winter and got mildewed. She writes in British English spelling (colour) and I write in American English spelling. So much fun to translate between us. :rofl:

deee

Avenue Veteran
All I know is it drive me nutso!! :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I took a test at an agency where they marked as incorrect my spelling of the word neighbour. I had to point out to them that this is Canada and in most of the English speaking world, neighbour is spelled "neighbour" and color is spelled "colour." The test was later graded correctly but I was surprised that an personnel agency would not know this. I was then further surprised to learn that most Americans do not know that most of the English speaking world does not say "zee" as the final letter of the alphabet. We know that they say "zee", yet they do not know that we say "zed", nor do they know that we spell our words differently. I actually had someone ask me what a "zed" was.. :huh:
I have never heard of zed before and didnt know that Canadians spell things differently than we do. I thought English was English :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Bet none of you has a Grey who says "Whatever" when she cannot think of a better answer when chatting to her! There are lots of sayings that drive me mad but these days myself I am having trouble in spelling the vocabulary that I use regularly without looking for more trouble!

Raizer

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shiloh

I have never heard of zed before and didnt know that Canadians spell things differently than we do. I thought English was English :)
Lol there's English that a huge percentage of the world speaks and then there's "American" ;)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
It astounds me that people remain ignorant of other countries and their cultures. Doesn't the school system educate people about these things? I was taught what a "zee" is. Aren't Americans taught what a "zed" is? I should not be surprised. An American on line buddy recently asked me if I was really cold as our temperature is only 40. huh? That would be 40 Celsius. I know that the temperatures down there are imperial..why didn't this person know that the temperatures up here are in metric? It reminds me of a woman I used to work with--she didn't know what Hiroshima is. She had also never heard of the Holocaust...huh???

Status
Not open for further replies.