• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Animal Environments Play stands?

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much - yes that answers my questions and then some -the wheels sound wonderful - I forgot to mention to her that I have wood floors - If I go with ordering from her I will have to see what the additional cost would be. I too have had way too many problems with people doing work and money since the hurricane, to say I'm gun shy is a big understatement. When she said overnight a check for the full amount - I had a panic attack. I didn't sleep at all last night - I did talk to EH and their cage would come to me about a month or two sooner - but it's a bit more simplistic than the one Carmen showed me.
I was hopeful that I could help you out by not having to ship to Calif. and that it's already set for wood floors is great - I would love one that size - but it's a bit too large for my home. I only have two small birds that will be sharing this cage. Pionus and cockatiel - I was just a little concerned when she would mention one price then I receive an e-mail with a different price. Although the price she quoted on her last correspondence seems fair and she's customizing the cage for some small picky things that I've always wanted in a cage but no one seems to think of.

It's a large piece of furniture and home for my babies and I'm not fancy but how it looks means a lot to me.

The conversation in the beginning of the month was so back and forth I didn't know what to do - like I said I was in the midst of a panic attack - and I've been taken advantage of more times than I can count since this stupid storm totally disrupted my life. I hope she understands, I didn't reply last night with the check number I was sending - I couldn't have gotten out to overnight it today anyway. To top things off (since we still don't have a stove) we went out for dinner and there was a problem with my new car I just got back in 2012 - so I was at the shop this morning fretting over what the repair bill would be. Luckily it wasn't anything major, considering it's not even two years old there shouldn't be any problems with it - LOL

I know it's three hours earlier out there - but I'm going to consider your reply and all the information I've read and make my decision -
I can't bring myself to buy a subpar cage - and after the disgusting stuff I got off of my cage that I thought survived the flood water - and the story I read about your bird - there's no way I'll ever trust a powder coated cage ever again.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I do so understand your panic. There is just so many crooks willing to take your money. I hate to pay for stuff up front. Its crazy! Mean while the used cage I have would not work for your small birds. The bar spacing is way to big and its so much more cage than you need however not to large by any means. I don't care what cage she makes for me they all have custom base and these great wheels on them. The pricing does and can get confusing! Every added detail cost money but it is so worth it. Everything you always wanted in a cage she will do it! That's one thing all the cage companies do is give these cheap crap wheels that tear up your floors and fall off. If you don't feel comfortable paying up front I totally get that! But Carmen is honest and I don't think you have a thing to worry about. There is no better quality cage that I have ever seen. I love the stainless steel and the polish she puts on the cages make it so easy to clean! The only other cage I like is the Kings aluminum cages, they are gorgeous and would work for you. I have large dome top in Red and it so easy to clean light weigh and beautiful and reasonable. Comes in different color combinations. Not strong but you don't really need strong. The dome top is hard to decorate and hard to get to. It can be a pain but beautiful. Funny my Kings cage is not being used any more because my Palms would crush it. They like to land on it occasionally so that's out of the questions. I did put new wheels on it because the cheap wheels ruined my floor. I had purchased it for then my only bird named Murphy at the time, a Rose Breasted Cockatoo. It was so perfect for him and the bar spacing is probably more like what you need. Its not an Animal Environments by any means! Good luck to you and your search.

Last edited:

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
What's the spacing on your King's - it could tide me over - Carmen can't get me a cage until sometime in August - then she said September. EH said end of July or beginning of August.
They're in a metal dog crate right now and don't even attempt to go through the openings.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
What's the spacing on your King's - it could tide me over - Carmen can't get me a cage until sometime in August - then she said September. EH said end of July or beginning of August.
They're in a metal dog crate right now and don't even attempt to go through the openings.
1.5" I wrote details to you in another post.

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
1.5" I wrote details to you in another post.
My mistake - I saw the details and I thought that was only on the AE cage that you had - I didn't realize King's came with different bar spacing - I only saw a set bar spacing on the cages I looked at on their site.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
No the Kings are all set for each cage. No customization for bar spacing but they are 5/8" I believe which is good for many birds like yours! They are very attractive and looked great in my home. I actually turned the most formal room in the house into a bird room. They are nice cages but don't compare to Animal Environments. I can't wait to get Luci's cage next month from Carmen. I customized all the cages and it makes such a difference. It's worth the wait. I did sleepy shelves and corner shelves for the smaller birds I have. Bailey and Murphy live on the sleepy shelf. I will try an upload some photo's!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Bailey in Jolly Ball.jpg
Bailey Macaw Cage from Animal Environments! He loves his new Jolly Ball. He spends hours in it. This cage has 1" bar spacing and slightly smaller spacing on grate, sleepy shelf and corner shelf.

Last edited:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Bailey on Cleaning Lady.jpg This is one of my favorites. This is my Barbara (cleaning lady) cleaning Baileys Cage. He loves her and one of the only birds she can handle at this point. She loves Bailey and obviously he like her.

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
beautiful - I assume the bottom grates come out for cleaning. The one she showed to me that she's doing a modified size of has the bars going all the way down. I figured this way when I took the grate out - they wouldn't escape :)
I've tried to paste the picture in so you could see the cage - but not having much luck.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Wow can't imagine how that would look. Its a pain to upload a file here because they all want to show sideways. It took me 20 minutes to finally post the above photo's. Take my advise get any accessories shelfs before she ships them out. Mine were done after delivery and then you have supply measurements. Real pain and just had to send back one corner shelf because even after measurements it didn't fit. Did you order a cage? What size or name? What bar spacing are you going to do? Just curious I need to get my cage thought out to order soon. I am going to have her do a cage for my canary but don't want any plastic at all. And yes the grate does come out. I don't have to remove it often because you can clean it in place pretty good. The bars are less than 1" and it's spacing is wide enough to clean front and back of grate. I will take it out occasionally to clean or should I say Barbara will take it out to clean.

Last edited:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
He looks almost the same size as my Rory -
He weighs 190 grams which is small for a Queen. He covers the entire Macaw cage. Its really large for this size bird but he absolutely loves it. It can't be to big but I do hear on this site about some birds not liking big cages. Bailey talks a blue streak! Love him and his personality is fabulous!

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
He weighs 190 grams which is small for a Queen. He covers the entire Macaw cage. Its really large for this size bird but he absolutely loves it. It can't be to big but I do hear on this site about some birds not liking big cages. Bailey talks a blue streak! Love him and his personality is fabulous!
Both my birds LOVE big cages -i had the same size kings cage for my cockatiel as I had for my pionus - a six foot tall - 27x23 - they climbed all over those cages -
She's doing a modified cockatoo cage to look like the Roya cage - if you know what that is. I think she said 7/8" bar spacing - but she sent me another e-mail about things that could be done that were way over my head - I've never had to "design" a cage -I just always took what I thought looked nice and never had any options before (it's tough) I think she referred to you in the e-mail that a very good customer - knows exactly what she wants and designs her own cages down to every detail.

I told her I had to look over the specs again and try to figure out her latest e-mail - she misunderstood what I said about a stove I custom ordered because the store didn't have one for me to see. It didn't work out and now - all the general brands just don't hold a candle to what I saw in that stove I ordered. I meant that buying something sight unseen over the internet is a leap of faith. She thought that they didn't send me my stove and she offered to drive to that company (based out in Calif) to check on my order and see what the hold up was - "who does that" - WOW, now if she only lived in NJ and could go do battle with the store I bought the stove from.

It's been a bad week and my Brotherinlaw doesn't understand my obsession with a good stove and said "any stove will fit" - well, not according to the installer it doesn't :(
So my weekend is a bit stressful.

I also told her I was taken aback by having to overnight a check for the full amount - I hope she understands - I told her it's just fear after everything I've been through in the past year and a half.

the cage she's doing stands about 65" tall - and I think the overall size is 32 x 24 which should be sufficient for the two birds I have - they'll just have to share for now - they're in one cage now.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Poe.jpg This is what Carmen is known for is the big guys! She knows how to built the big stuff, trust me. Poe puts his cage to the test everyday! This is my Palm Poe who is almost two years old.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
View attachment 175841 This is what Carmen is known for is the big guys! She knows how to built the big stuff, trust me. Poe puts his cage to the test everyday! This is my Palm Poe who is almost two years old.
Think over all the details very carefully! Ask about anything your not sure of. Once it's done its over! She will do just about anything you want. Just know that is what you will get! I must have had 50 emails from the first cage. I just asks a lot of questions. I did make many changes after the first cage. I am thinking now of the canary cage which will be similar to yours. I can't picture the bars going below the grate, send photo's! That sound great for the canary. There is one cage I love, can't remember the name but really gorgeous! Carmen did custom Luxor tops for my last two Macaw cages, they are out standing! All these cages are in the same room so I wanted to them to somewhat match. The canary is in another room all together and that is my main living area that I bring the other birds into fly and socialize. They are all recall trained and I have so much fun with them. I have set up three stations for them to fly to. Two are ringstands of Carmens and the other a very large Java Tree! In the bird room I have another Ring Stand and the cages for them to fly to. Try to post photo of your new cage. You use to could send 50% to start your cage and 100% for a small discount for sending all funds up front. I just don't know if all that has changed. Maybe you would feel better about that. Anyway my new Luxor for Luci should be her next month. I think I will write her today and let her know I am anxious to get it. Just looked at the site maybe the amazon cage with the right bar spacing would work for Elvis my canary. Problem with the canary cage is bar spacing will have to be all custom and so will stainless steel bowls. I really like the outside feeder's but will get her to custom make some solid panels to keep seed from going everywhere. That I know will cost me but worth it.

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
View attachment 175841 This is what Carmen is known for is the big guys! She knows how to built the big stuff, trust me. Poe puts his cage to the test everyday! This is my Palm Poe who is almost two years old.
Wow - I see the Kings in the back ground - I guess I could do that for the time being - worst case is I have an extra cage I can put upstairs - But for almost $1,000 - that could go towards a really good cage - which is my dilemma $$ is tight with rebuilding - and I know I can buy cheaper - but cheaper is not always the best way - I'd much rather spend more money up front and have GREAT QUALITY and LONGEVITY - which is my problem with the stove - I really want that stove I ordered. I have a professional Chef telling me (since I do a lot of cooking and baking) that the stove I ordered will last a lifetime - he has had his and both he and his wife cook constantly - for 10 years and it's like brand new -

I'm opting for inside feeders - and now I'm considering a shelf - thanks for the idea - I would never have thought about that - I did ask if she could do something that I could hook a swing to – she said no problem. You know her cages - it's more the cockatoo size cage but with the luxor top - I think the birds will really enjoy that type of top to their cage. They had the napoleon top in the Kings Cage - and loved getting up in that section of the cage especially at night. and RORY loves to walk on top of the cage and hang out - but prefer to have more cage than opting for a play top style - they love the openness of the top.

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Think over all the details very carefully! Ask about anything your not sure of. Once it's done its over! She will do just about anything you want. Just know that is what you will get! I must have had 50 emails from the first cage. I just asks a lot of questions. I did make many changes after the first cage. I am thinking now of the canary cage which will be similar to yours. I can't picture the bars going below the grate, send photo's! That sound great for the canary. There is one cage I love, can't remember the name but really gorgeous! Carmen did custom Luxor tops for my last two Macaw cages, they are out standing! All these cages are in the same room so I wanted to them to somewhat match. The canary is in another room all together and that is my main living area that I bring the other birds into fly and socialize. They are all recall trained and I have so much fun with them. I have set up three stations for them to fly to. Two are ringstands of Carmens and the other a very large Java Tree! In the bird room I have another Ring Stand and the cages for them to fly to. Try to post photo of your new cage. You use to could send 50% to start your cage and 100% for a small discount for sending all funds up front. I just don't know if all that has changed. Maybe you would feel better about that. Anyway my new Luxor for Luci should be her next month. I think I will write her today and let her know I am anxious to get it. Just looked at the site maybe the amazon cage with the right bar spacing would work for Elvis my canary. Problem with the canary cage is bar spacing will have to be all custom and so will stainless steel bowls. I really like the outside feeder's but will get her to custom make some solid panels to keep seed from going everywhere. That I know will cost me but worth it.
I never thought of asking if I could only send half now and the balance when shipped - that would make me feel a lot better - plus I'll have more money at the time it's ready. I think the EH are nice - but I still (little vain on my part) the look and presence that the AE cages have - it's going to be in my living room - I was thinking a play stand in my bedroom in front of the sliding door.
who knows - when things are better - perhaps an EH for outside on the deck.

Still confused - I just hope Carmen doesn't get upset with me - she keeps saying about if you place your order today - which reminds me of what I went through trying to replace my truck I lost in the hurricane - I was on overload (still am - maybe I have PTSD) and it was like they were forcing me to make a split second decision - which just made my brain freeze and I would go into panic mode.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Well feeders take up room and having them outside keeps them from pooping on them. It just frees up space for more toys and climbing! I use water bottles on all my cages. I went for four large outside feeder's for all cages because I use some of the bowls for foot toys and small balls. I do fresh vegetables or fresh fruit everyday and the extra bowls come in handy when preparing the dishes. I also order extra set of bowls for changing them out. Just makes like so much easier. The shelfs is just a favorite. I got them after the fact because they were not ready in time for shipping. I just think the shelf both of them helps them have a great place to rest whether it is the top of the cage or the corner shelf which is great also. Bailey just slides down fast to any location. I had her add extra rings on top of cage so I could locate toys where ever! That was a must! I like the grate and shelfs for the smaller birds smaller than the bar spacing on the cage. Cage was 1" which is maximum for the Queen and Rose Breasted so shelfs and grate are about 3/4" I think. My Rose Breasted 265 grams so quite a bit larger than the Queen. Good luck, hope this helps. Yes your right about the Kings cage. To me it will get you buy and great as an extra cage. Maybe get the Animal Environments cage first and then Kings Aluminium Cage for upstairs! There is talk about them being discontinued but I don't know that as a fact. I do know the travel cages are being discontinued. I bought two for my two smaller birds and they are just super quality. I was not disappointed. I thought to use them for evacuation if needed. I live on the water and alway concerned about transporting all my pets to safety.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I never thought of asking if I could only send half now and the balance when shipped - that would make me feel a lot better - plus I'll have more money at the time it's ready. I think the EH are nice - but I still (little vain on my part) the look and presence that the AE cages have - it's going to be in my living room - I was thinking a play stand in my bedroom in front of the sliding door.
who knows - when things are better - perhaps an EH for outside on the deck.

Still confused - I just hope Carmen doesn't get upset with me - she keeps saying about if you place your order today - which reminds me of what I went through trying to replace my truck I lost in the hurricane - I was on overload (still am - maybe I have PTSD) and it was like they were forcing me to make a split second decision - which just made my brain freeze and I would go into panic mode.
Don't be rushed. That's the saleswoman in her! I know you won't be disappointed but just talk to her about her opinions of what you are doing. Doing custom is great if when you get it your happy. She kinda would tell me if she thought I was doing something I wouldn't be happy with. Some I agreed to and some I didn't. I am happy with every change I made. Just think it over in your head.
I have a commercial cook top I love. They don't make it anymore. Stick to your guns since your the one doing the cooking. Out persist them all and you will get what you want. Stand your ground girl! :dance5:

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Well feeders take up room and having them outside keeps them from pooping on them. It just frees up space for more toys and climbing! I use water bottles on all my cages. I went for four large outside feeder's for all cages because I use some of the bowls for foot toys and small balls. I do fresh vegetables or fresh fruit everyday and the extra bowls come in handy when preparing the dishes. I also order extra set of bowls for changing them out. Just makes like so much easier. The shelfs is just a favorite. I got them after the fact because they were not ready in time for shipping. I just think the shelf both of them helps them have a great place to rest whether it is the top of the cage or the corner shelf which is great also. Bailey just slides down fast to any location. I had her add extra rings on top of cage so I could locate toys where ever! That was a must! I like the grate and shelfs for the smaller birds smaller than the bar spacing on the cage. Cage was 1" which is maximum for the Queen and Rose Breasted so shelfs and grate are about 3/4" I think. My Rose Breasted 265 grams so quite a bit larger than the Queen. Good luck, hope this helps. Yes your right about the Kings cage. To me it will get you buy and great as an extra cage. Maybe get the Animal Environments cage first and then Kings Aluminium Cage for upstairs! There is talk about them being discontinued but I don't know that as a fact. I do know the travel cages are being discontinued. I bought two for my two smaller birds and they are just super quality. I was not disappointed. I thought to use them for evacuation if needed. I live on the water and alway concerned about transporting all my pets to safety.
I didn't have access to my travel cage - so we stayed - it was scary - I was thinking the inside feeders because that's what they were used to with the Kings Cage - and the little cockatiel loves getting inside the bowl to eat and likes to play in the water - that's one thing I mentioned and I didn't see it on the final quote - i need (MUST HAVE) extra bowls - I always change my bowls out for cleaning everyday - and then I give them whatever I'm eating - in the way of veggies in addition to their food and it's nice to have the extra bowls.

Wow - more things to look over - I guess I should get a smaller Kings Aluminum - not a big one -but big enough for evacuation - I never had to in the 30 years I've lived here - and I wasn't prepared at all - and as a result I lost all my belongings - but then I also just had a pick up and when I think back - trying to figure what I would have packed and how it would have worked (the back was open - so things would have gotten ruined anyway) plus two people, two dogs, two cats, two birds - would not have fit in the front cab