• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All Natural Cage Set Up Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have one of those Starbird Ropes! I don't see them available anymore.:(

I don't know how to post a link but how about Crystal's (Crystal's Bird Toys) Jane of the Jungle Swing? someone here had posted a pic of it awhile ago...love it!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Coco ..

This is cool .. I remember when Saroj got the Entwined Vine from Starbird and made it into a swing. I don't know if they're available any longer. However .. if you like it, I think I have one, never used, still all wrapped up.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/toys-cages-bypass/42561-cool-starbird-rope-kathies-store.html

Merlie! You are too sweet. Actually I was looking for one of those yesterday and they aren't being sold anymore it looks like... but you keep yours :) I think I have come up with enough things that we will have more than plenty to fill up her cage!! :) Thank you, so so much, though!!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Some of the set up in that first video{plants} would scare me, after reading this...
http://forums.avianavenue.com/healthy-highway/88721-houseplants-asper.html
Okay, so after doing some reading, I was thoroughly freaked out by all houseplants and even wood perches. Apparently aspergillus can thrive on anything with bark or even any wood that gets damp... and Lola bathes in her cage frequently and splashes around everywhere :(

The good news is, a good air purifier with a true HEPA filter is certified and proven to remove mold spores from the air. I have an Austin and it's proven to remove Aspergillus mold spores... so I feel okay about that. I'm not going to go out and buy a ton of houseplants now but I think that I can feel okay about some wheatgrass as long as I watch it carefully to make sure there is no mold growing at the base (which is really common with them apparently). Hmmm... maybe this will be more difficult than I thought :o:

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I was once told that a light mix of white vinegar and water, spritz into the soil, will help keep mold at bay. I have lots of palms <natural air purifiers> and love them. Also, you don't want to keep the soil too moist. I let mine get a bit dry before watering, and palms can usually handle a drier soil anyway.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Coco, Austin Airs do kill the mold in the air but if there are high enough quantities of mold there is still a risk for birds getting asper. I had an Austin Air on high in my bird room all the times and both Kei and Toady got Asper. That being said, there are some species more susceptible than others and I don't think Cape parrots are. Mainly pionus, greys, and macaws are susceptible to getting it.
Merlie, very little actually kills mold spores. One thing that for sure does is F10.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bleach, borax, and vinegar all kill mold. Vinegar will kill MOST, but not all kinds. That is what I used under my sink after it leaked for a good 3 months without notice, haven't seen any since!

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
This is nice :D
Natural and with color.

Right now its without wire, but I think I will put wire in it, soon as I figure out how :cool:

I love naturals too, I think they are so nice, a touch of color seems to make it stand out.

I love this thread!
Oh that's awesome!
Douglas would LOVE that!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Last edited:

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
good ventilation is a key to keep mold at bay!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Okay... so I can spray my plants with vinegar, but can I spray them with F10? :huh: Would that kill or harm them? Or would they still be safe for Sabrina to nibble?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Ah -- something else very good to know for those of you that use Young Living essential oils: Thieves is proven to kill mold, including Aspergillus!! :) It's one of my favorites and I diffuse it frequently, so that's comforting.

paperdragon

I can't help but wonder if it's really such a good idea to keep birds totally away from plants anyways? I mean, sure there's going to be some birds that are very susceptible to infection, but could it be the far more sterile than nature environment that they're bred in that's to blame in many of the cases? Perhaps they need small amounts of exposure to build up immunity? Not that I'm saying we shouldn't be careful, but I think that maybe we go too far at times in trying to protect our birds and inadvertently set them up for disaster when some little accident happens that brings them in contact with a bit of dirt.

HeidiAnne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heidi
This thread SO makes me want to do ZuZu's cage all natural...so peaceful and natural. Looks like HOME!

thewateroflife

Walking the driveway
In the video she mentioned hazelnut wood was that the vine like branches anybody know where you can get this?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
[h=2][/h]
By Paperdragon;
"I can't help but wonder if it's really such a good idea to keep birds totally away from plants anyways? I mean, sure there's going to be some birds that are very susceptible to infection, but could it be the far more sterile than nature environment that they're bred in that's to blame in many of the cases?"

I agree with you in principal about building immunity in our birds. BUT there are certain things where the risk far outweighs any benefit.

As far as Asper is concerned, it is not only immunocompromized birds who are susceptible, but also any bird that receives a massive dose of the fungus OR IT'S SPORES. That's why damp climates carry far more risk for Asper than dryer climates. It is a rare occurance that you can see Aspergillosis growing - it is present in the air and in virtually all soil. The soil in house plants, garden soil, compost, etc. are fertile homes for Asper

I can only provide you with the authoritative information from the experts and my own very expensive, both emotionally and financially, experience. You will have to make your own decision as to the amount of risk you want to expose your bird to.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/diseases/11130-aspergillosis-sad-update.html?highlight=Aspergillosis

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Exactly. Also, parrots immune systems can handle it most of the time in the wild because they have infinite air space. No home has that kind of ventilation.

paperdragon

By Paperdragon;
"I can't help but wonder if it's really such a good idea to keep birds totally away from plants anyways? I mean, sure there's going to be some birds that are very susceptible to infection, but could it be the far more sterile than nature environment that they're bred in that's to blame in many of the cases?"

I agree with you in principal about building immunity in our birds. BUT there are certain things where the risk far outweighs any benefit.

As far as Asper is concerned, it is not only immunocompromized birds who are susceptible, but also any bird that receives a massive dose of the fungus OR IT'S SPORES. That's why damp climates carry far more risk for Asper than dryer climates. It is a rare occurance that you can see Aspergillosis growing - it is present in the air and in virtually all soil. The soil in house plants, garden soil, compost, etc. are fertile homes for Asper

I can only provide you with the authoritative information from the experts and my own very expensive, both emotionally and financially, experience. You will have to make your own decision as to the amount of risk you want to expose your bird to.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/diseases/11130-aspergillosis-sad-update.html?highlight=Aspergillosis
I'm not saying its a good idea to intentionally expose our birds directly, I just feel that there's a very strong potential for going too far the other direction. If people start getting too obsessed with keeping birds from any potential asper source, then they'll eventually stop taking them outside, giving natural branches, etc. and that worries me.

Status
Not open for further replies.