• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All Natural Cage Set Up Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
ok, here it is:

Callisia repens
Ah, that's what I found too -- thanks :) I couldn't find much about it in the US though. I'll keep hunting.

Coco, I found this site

Nymphensittiche - Spielzeug und Einrichtung selber basteln

it has many, natural easy to make ideas for smaller parrots :) Maybe this could give you ideas :) I know it's on German, but you can get the general idea from pic, though :)
Iskra... you're the best!! These German sites have some amazing stuff. I've come across a few with just awesome set ups and natural enrichment for the little guys!!

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra

Ah, that's what I found too -- thanks :) I couldn't find much about it in the US though. I'll keep hunting.

Iskra... you're the best!! These German sites have some amazing stuff. I've come across a few with just awesome set ups and natural enrichment for the little guys!!
if I find anything else I'll send you a link :) I also want an EWD grapevine swing. I like those she has on her site!!! I wrote them on my "to order list" :D

edit:
look here
Kokosnapf-FB007

it's a cocnut half you can turn into a little food bowl or toy bowl :)

Last edited:

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
ok...I think I'm all done for now :D

pine cones!! Those could be super fun for both Lola and Sabrina

Danita has a wonderful selection of pine cones :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
This is SO COOL!
I'd love to do something like that for Kyoko! (unfortunately, Douglas is a sucker for bright colours... that's what I get for having a caique, hehehe).
I would LOVE to find a source of cork, sounds fantastic!
So please share if you find a good source!

I'm so excited to see what you come up with!!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ill be honest an "all natural cage setup" sounds awfully boring for a bird cage. Ive seen pics of her cage, its very very nice, why not just leave it as it is if she likes it?:)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
if I find anything else I'll send you a link :) I also want an EWD grapevine swing. I like those she has on her site!!! I wrote them on my "to order list" :D

edit:
look here
Kokosnapf-FB007

it's a cocnut half you can turn into a little food bowl or toy bowl :)
I love those... going to see if I can find something like it over here :)

Ill be honest an "all natural cage setup" sounds awfully boring for a bird cage. Ive seen pics of her cage, its very very nice, why not just leave it as it is if she likes it?:)
Did you look at the video? I think it looks like an amazing set up! Full of tons of natural enrichment-- anything but boring! I've been trying to seek out more textures and types of naturals that she would find in the wild in Australia, and that led me to thinking that maybe revamping her environment to make it totally natural would really be nice. Charles was the one that loved beads and baubles, but Sabrina has always enjoyed more natural things-- she loves to chew up bark and shred seagrass more than anything else. I think she'd really enjoy it :)

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
One idea that comes to mind is a half coconut shell, using hemp rope, filled with organic clean soil and planted with edible flowers.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

Did you look at the video? I think it looks like an amazing set up! Full of tons of natural enrichment-- anything but boring! I've been trying to seek out more textures and types of naturals that she would find in the wild in Australia, and that led me to thinking that maybe revamping her environment to make it totally natural would really be nice. Charles was the one that loved beads and baubles, but Sabrina has always enjoyed more natural things-- she loves to chew up bark and shred seagrass more than anything else. I think she'd really enjoy it :)
Far from boring!! All natural is beautiful & earthy, and would be so enjoyed by most birds. Merlies' suggestion of the Euc branches is excellent.
We used to buy from that company often.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

European sites are a fantastic resources for many things 'parrot related'; and they have not had access to all the plastics, etc that we have, till recent years, so they made do with what was available.

Barbi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barbi
Krickett doen not want plastics (except pony beads) and will not touch the medals except to climb them if necessary to access the nature she seeks. It's all natural for her...just the way SHE prefers it. I'd love to have a cute colorful cage for her, but it's what she needs that matters. She has 2 palm trees of her very own and is allowed to destroy them all she wants. Sometimes she just sits on her cage to munch and tear them up, other times she climbs them. They'll rotate back to the patio to regrow and I'll bring the other 2 in soon.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Yes and her cage setup is amazing. Sorry, when I think if "all natural" I think of branches and 100% "natural" toys. Not man-made. Just branches, leaves, holes in branches, etc. :o: So when I read your post about "all natural" I took it literally.;)

But I understand what you mean now and it sounds like more shreddies and the works are more suitable for miss Sabrina.:)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
One idea that comes to mind is a half coconut shell, using hemp rope, filled with organic clean soil and planted with edible flowers.
Thanks Doris :) I am really going to have to try to hone my gardening skills... can't keep anything alive usually, but I will try!

Yes and her cage setup is amazing. Sorry, when I think if "all natural" I think of branches and 100% "natural" toys. Not man-made. Just branches, leaves, holes in branches, etc. :o: So when I read your post about "all natural" I took it literally.;)

But I understand what you mean now and it sounds like more shreddies and the works are more suitable for miss Sabrina.:)
Ah, I can see what you mean. I think the video really helps to show that all natural can be just as much fun though... I was really wow-ed when I first saw it! :)

ParrotsforKeeps

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Meg

I dunno, but I think most of my parrots would be more than thrilled with a large cage filled strictly with "nature's toys"- pinecones, flowers, tree branches, and all! I admit, I do not do that yet! But those are certainly their favorite toys, bar none. You can get hard wood, shredding, soft preening, crunchy, etc., all from those basic things.

I am watching this thread closely, though, for new idea, and I cannot wait to see what you come up with, Coco! I really need to get around to getting some plants, big and small, for the bird room here. I do not have any now, but they always loved those in the past. Maybe even some mini fruit trees/shrubs!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Some of the set up in that first video{plants} would scare me, after reading this...
http://forums.avianavenue.com/healthy-highway/88721-houseplants-asper.html

I also thought once that the all natural look[ no colors] was cool...but that wouldn't really be natural either. There are colors in nature. Maybe not the bright ones most toys are, but there are definitely colors. Hmmm...someone needs to come up with a line of things for birds with subdued colors, for those who don't like all the bright ones:chin:.....Danita...:innocent:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Some of the set up in that first video{plants} would scare me, after reading this...
http://forums.avianavenue.com/healthy-highway/88721-houseplants-asper.html

I also thought once that the all natural look[ no colors] was cool...but that wouldn't really be natural either. There are colors in nature. Maybe not the bright ones most toys are, but there are definitely colors. Hmmm...someone needs to come up with a line of things for birds with subdued colors, for those who don't like all the bright ones:chin:.....Danita...:innocent:
Hmm... I can't keep plants alive so it's never been a possibility here, except for wheatgrass. Would it still be a worry with wheatgrass? Because that, my budgies have been exposed to for years and they love it?

As for colors in nature... that's absolutely true, but in my opinion natural colors are different from dyed toys. Sabrina will continue to get plenty of colors through her food, as well as through edible flowers. :) It's more the colored plastics I'm looking to get away from anyhow.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have no idea..I had a big one in here and drug it out after reading that! We just went through so much with Yuna, repairing an upper and lower respiratory infection, I cannot allow that to happen again!:eek::eek: I agree that more natural does look better, and the plastic stuff is gaudy...but they do love some of them...:o:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have no idea..I had a big one in here and drug it out after reading that! We just went through so much with Yuna, repairing an upper and lower respiratory infection, I cannot allow that to happen again!:eek::eek: I agree that more natural does look better, and the plastic stuff is gaudy...but they do love some of them...:o:
Gosh. That's scary. Thanks for the warning! I'll have to look into it. So many plants are advertised as "air cleaners" ... scary thought!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
This is nice :D
Natural and with color.

Right now its without wire, but I think I will put wire in it, soon as I figure out how :cool:

I love naturals too, I think they are so nice, a touch of color seems to make it stand out.

I love this thread!

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I love those!:heart:

Status