• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All Natural Cage Set Up Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I was wondering if anybody could help me brainstorm some all natural cage set up ideas for little Sabrina. Now that she can have the cage all to herself, I've been wondering what to do with it. She doesn't need two of everything and a lot of Charles's little things were made specifically for him, so I want to give Sabrina her own new set up with a fresh new start. I was thinking that an all natural setup would be a nice complement to her wild personality.

I found a lot of inspiration in this video: How to build a comfortable cage set up for small parrots - YouTube I won't embed it because it's not my video but it's an incredible, all natural set up for some linnies. It's definitely worth a look.

So I was thinking, I'm going to get some wheatgrass plants, I'm going to get over my paranoia and purchase a flagstone perch, I'm going to load it up with natural, barky platform and traditional perches, and all of her toys will be completely natural.

But I'd love some brainstorming help-- I'm not feeling terribly creative. What else would you include for little Sabrina? Please keep in mind that she is somewhat fearful of new toys and especially objects that are larger in size than she is. Thanks in advance :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She needs something from Donna!! Like a miniature Flyer but for inside the cage!!!:)

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
That cage in the video has an awesome set-up! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
She needs something from Donna!! Like a miniature Flyer but for inside the cage!!!:)
I was thinking of Donna too... not sure we could fit any sort of flyer, but I was thinking maybe one of those hollow grapevine wood logs with all of the holes for peeking and creeping in and out of? Not sure if it would cause nesting behaviors though... Thanks :)

Hmm .. I've always wanted to order these .. I think the birds would love natural Eucalyptus branches to chew/play with:

Eucalyptus Leaves, Branches and Perches buy fresh cut for Sugar Gliders and Birds

I love Crystal's ladders .. I bet she could do one for Sabrina with nice natural woods:

Ladders -

Perhaps a small climbing net .. from OG or G.A.G.

A miniature version of the hanging swing you made for Ms. Lola.
Thanks Merlie!! I knew you'd have lots of ideas. We have a lovely eucalyptus perch from Danita... but I might have to purchase those leaves. I've always wondered how to mount them or hang them though. I'll have to get creative.

I also love Crystal's ladders... but I'm actually working on a little natural ladder already with some PPBN wood I purchased years ago and forgot about. And I was thinking about contacting Susan for a mini sisal crawler... might have to do that :)

That cage in the video has an awesome set-up! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Thanks Natacha... that cage is so cool, isn't it?? I was really wow-ed when I first saw it.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
if you choose to have rope, try making it like vines :) use earth tones ropes if you can as well :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
if you choose to have rope, try making it like vines :) use earth tones ropes if you can as well :)
Thanks :) One thing I'm struggling with is how to incorporate vine-like ropes without them posing a strangulation risk due to long threads... I'll have to experiment!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have admired pics of your set-ups and the all natural toys you have purchased from Danita...I would also love to see what you come up with. I would also like to do a more natural looking set up for my tiels and lovie...wheatgrass is easy to grow - sprout some wheatberries and let it grow. Would love to know where to get some natural cork like that in the video!

Hope you and Sabrina are doing well. :hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have admired pics of your set-ups and the all natural toys you have purchased from Danita...I would also love to see what you come up with. I would also like to do a more natural looking set up for my tiels and lovie...wheatgrass is easy to grow - sprout some wheatberries and let it grow. Would love to know where to get some natural cork like that in the video!

Hope you and Sabrina are doing well. :hug8:
Thank you :) Yes, I've been hunting for cork especially! It seems like the easiest bet would be a local florist, but I called a bunch near me and they either only sell it with a very expensive orchid arrangement, or they only sell it in bulk. I've found a few online stores that have it and have emailed to be sure that their cork is virgin and unprocessed. When I find a dependable place, I will share it.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
Hmm .. I've always wanted to order these .. I think the birds would love natural Eucalyptus branches to chew/play with:

Eucalyptus Leaves, Branches and Perches buy fresh cut for Sugar Gliders and Birds

I love Crystal's ladders .. I bet she could do one for Sabrina with nice natural woods:

Ladders -

Perhaps a small climbing net .. from OG or G.A.G.

A miniature version of the hanging swing you made for Ms. Lola.
I had been wanting to order from EucProducts for ages but kept forgetting, thanks for the reminder! I ordered my flock the 1 lb. combo pack to see what they think. I think the budgies will like the leaves.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
you can take loose rope, not strands of it like solid rope and hang it from the top of the cage. like a swing, long enough she cant get strangled in it. i'll have to dig through old photos to try to see if i can show you what i mean... will post back if i find them lol

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
you can take loose rope, not strands of it like solid rope and hang it from the top of the cage. like a swing, long enough she cant get strangled in it. i'll have to dig through old photos to try to see if i can show you what i mean... will post back if i find them lol
like this

Oh perfect, thank you :) I was thinking of purchasing some nice sisal ropes to do exactly that!

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
if done right (better than i had did lol) it would look REALLY nice!

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
i could have done better, munch was a baby in that photo lol

you HAVE to post a photo of your set up when you are done!! :D

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
i tied it on one end and weaved it though the top bars of the cage as it was a long one.

however, if you use short pieces you can use quick links on each end of the rope.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
i could have done better, munch was a baby in that photo lol

you HAVE to post a photo of your set up when you are done!! :D
Of course I will, especially since I'm crowd sourcing you guys for ideas :)

I can make that set up!
I just need to figure out how that rope is attached.

So cute!
i tied it on one end and weaved it though the top bars of the cage as it was a long one.

however, if you use short pieces you can use quick links on each end of the rope.
I was thinking of purchasing some of the sisal rope perches with and without wire from Mother Pluckin' Bird Toys :) What do you guys think? They come with screw on cage attachments.

Danita, will you be designing a natural cage set up as well? :) I'm counting on you to make lots of custom, all natural pretties for Sabrina...
Is there anything I can send Coco? :hug8:
Oh Barbi... what a tempting offer :) I will probably take you up on it... let me think! :) Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.