• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a Troubled darling

SilverBirdie

Moving in
Hello everyone! I currently own a beautiful little Pinapple Green Cheek and will be bringing home a Mitred COnure once she is fully weaned (8-10 more weeks :laugh:) The pet store I frequent had a Cockatoo (Goffin I believe) dumped in their store and he is just Pitiful. He was apparently bounced around by diffrent family members after his owner died before finally being dumped. He was fed table scraps (Such as pizza bites and spaghetti) as well as dog food for quite some time. As a result of this, he is a mess :(. The store kept him for over a month in an attempt to get him healthy again, but the enviorment there was simply not condusive to his healing process and needs. Another potential home fell through for him and so the girls that work there asked if I could take him. Honestly, after meeting him, I could not say no. He has a list of problems including the fact that he was completly naked when they got him. He has some down feathers now and the plucking has slowed, but he may have permenatly damaged many of his folicals. Also his diet is a real problem. They have got him eating some pellets, fruit & veggies, and seed but his main diet is still people food because they were desprate to get weight on him and that is all he would eat. He is also a serial biter and feeding him is a two person job. He will stick his foot out of the cage and want to hold your hand (but if he pulls it too close he WILL bite you, as I discovered today lol.) He will also let you scratch his head through the bars (But will whip around and bite you if youdont pay attention to what your doing). He just breaks my heart and I want to help him if I can. I already know that trust building and keeping him occupied is going to be paramont, as well as getting his nutrition under controle. Any advice of guidance would be much appriciated as we embark on this now journey!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I can't advise on working with a too but make sure you get blood work to check those kidneys and other organs. Dog food is very hard on their sytems...and sometimes deadly.

SilverBirdie

Moving in
I was planning on having a blood pannel run, I just weanted to give him time to settle in first. ANy idea how much a pannel runs?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I was planning on having a blood pannel run, I just weanted to give him time to settle in first. ANy idea how much a pannel runs?
My vet charges 100

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
first off Welcome to AA. I would ask the pet store to take him her to reputable Avian Vet at their cost. a complete blood panel, fecal (poop) panel, and basically everything that will judge whether this poor Faby is healthy. that way you know exactly where you stand health wise. if you decided to take him quarantine is to strictly followed for at least 30 days. birds hidden their illnesses very well. you may also want to start him Harrison's soother + and their rain mist for his plucked feathers and damaged skin. time that you put into this bird getting healthy, maybe back with feathers and loving him will be worth it.

SilverBirdie

Moving in
first off Welcome to AA. I would ask the pet store to take him her to reputable Avian Vet at their cost. a complete blood panel, fecal (poop) panel, and basically everything that will judge whether this poor Faby is healthy. that way you know exactly where you stand health wise. if you decided to take him quarantine is to strictly followed for at least 30 days. birds hidden their illnesses very well. you may also want to start him Harrison's soother + and their rain mist for his plucked feathers and damaged skin. time that you put into this bird getting healthy, maybe back with feathers and loving him will be worth it.
Thanks!

Honestly the pet store wont do that, the only reason he is there is because a few employes begged to let him stay when they saw his condition. I think the owner is pressuring them to move him along and charging $100 dollars to boot. Honestly its a mercy thing at this point for me. I cant stand to see him like that :sad4:. I will look into the spray asap, thanks for the tip!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch took 5 years to mostly decide I was trustworthy and a friend but he did get there at his own pace. Take the long term and avoid the bites till he eventually decides your ok. I got a lot of sudden no warning bites but as he slowly decided he liked me and I respected his warnings he started not trying to bite as fast, and give warnings first.
Hang in there and just do things around him and eventually he'll get interested and probably get closer and start wanting fun interactions.
Lurch was a Maxi Pionus so attitude might be a bit different but with time and love he should come around.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Bless you for having such a kind heart! Maybe a name something angelic…. " Michael" ….Archangel Michael. Not really a bird name but neither is Henry but it fits my Zon so well.

SilverBirdie

Moving in
Lurch took 5 years to mostly decide I was trustworthy and a friend but he did get there at his own pace. Take the long term and avoid the bites till he eventually decides your ok. I got a lot of sudden no warning bites but as he slowly decided he liked me and I respected his warnings he started not trying to bite as fast, and give warnings first.
Hang in there and just do things around him and eventually he'll get interested and probably get closer and start wanting fun interactions.
Lurch was a Maxi Pionus so attitude might be a bit different but with time and love he should come around.
Thats what I'm hoping. He is definitly a biter, I'm just hoping that his curiosity and desire to interact out weighs that eventually. I am also hoping to do alot of hanging play gyms in the hopes that all three of my birds can become a flock and interact together. I have no experience with introducing birds to each other (Far down the road when everyone is healthy obviously).

Bless you for having such a kind heart! Maybe a name something angelic…. " Michael" ….Archangel Michael. Not really a bird name but neither is Henry but it fits my Zon so well.
Aw thanks! I'm going to do some research and get to know his personality after he comes home :tiel6:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
lots and lots of baby steps and trip to the vet ASAP. make sure to find out exactly what they are feeding both hand feeding formula and pellets. try to introduce some nuts to his food, raw is preferred no salt of course. @JLcribber red palm oil ???

SilverBirdie

Moving in
lots and lots of baby steps and trip to the vet ASAP. make sure to find out exactly what they are feeding both hand feeding formula and pellets. try to introduce some nuts to his food, raw is preferred no salt of course. @JLcribber red palm oil ???
I know that he is eating Zupreme pellets (a little), sunflower seeds, corn and peas, and some shelled nuts to keep him occupied as well as small ammounts of seed. These are the things that they introduced into his diet since he came into their care. They are trying to wean him off his old diet without causing undue stress which included Pizza bites, chicken noodle soup, sphaghetti, mashed potatoes, french fries, oatmeal, and other unfortunate things.... They are trying to get him onto a much healthier eating plan without causing him stress or weight loss because I honestly dont think he could take either. I am going to bring a fecal sample to the vet for testing and may possibly have a retired vet come to the house and draw blood so that I dont have to subject him to going into the vets office. Honestly I am hesitant to stress him further since he is not a friendly bird and can not be handled easily. Unfortunaly we have no age on him other than that he is an adult bird...

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Best of luck with him. Taking on a mistreated bird can be huge endeavor but definitely worth it. Please keep us updated on him. Thankyou for helping him:heart:

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Wow, what an endeavor and oh so brave and order ful of you to do! Stick around and seek as much help as you need! I hope he realizes you are giving him a new start!

SilverBirdie

Moving in
Best of luck with him. Taking on a mistreated bird can be huge endeavor but definitely worth it. Please keep us updated on him. Thankyou for helping him:heart:
Wow, what an endeavor and oh so brave and order ful of you to do! Stick around and seek as much help as you need! I hope he realizes you are giving him a new start!
THanks! Its definitly going to be an adventure! I'm looking forwardto watching him heal and grow!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
sounds like quite a challenge but that you are up to it!
I've had my Goffin 33 years, and he has never even thought to bite so I'm no help!
I will say that Goffins are escape artists and mine has padlocks on doors, grate, and 3 dishes so he started removing the welded bars on his California cage.
Mine is totally non-food motivated but he loves drama and anything to shred or take apart.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John