• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a Troubled darling

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Goffin can be one of those 'lure you in' then whip around and nail you birds. She also likes to stick her foot out, grab your finger and try to get it in range of her beak.
Sneaky little bird! On the most part mine is a sweet heart, but does have those moments.

If this bird is not doing it out of fear, then it may have been developed from a sort of game he plays. Mine is like that, just a little sh!t.

Not getting what mine wants can also get me those lure me in bites.

Goffins are masters of manipulation. ;) But once you win their favor, they're worth every nip.

Keep out of beak range for now to avoid bites. Once that habit starts to slow down, you'll be able to get closer. But be patient, it may take quite a while for that to happen.

Goffins usually like to shred things, and also like chippable wood. Not too thick for them.

They also like interactive toys, such as foraging stuff. Mine once unscrewed all the railing on my deck.

Mine also plucks and overpreens, Goffins seem to pick up this behavior easily. They are super smart and easily bored. They IMO can be demanding little birds.

Good luck, and thanks for helping out this little one.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome and thank you for helping this bird. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks for saving him! He sounds like he really needs a stable, benevolent situation. Since he's eating seeds, sprouts might be an easy, natural way to help transition him to something with lots of nutrition packed in. As for bathing, I favor water with a splash of pure aloe juice in a pump sprayer. Good luck!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Poor lil dude ...best of luck to both of you ..sending you tons of hugs for your journey :hug8::hug8::hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck to both of you.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Thank you for taking this poor guy in. It will take quite some time, but eventually, he will accept you. Once he realizes the atmosphere has changed, the the abuse is gone, he will start meeting you on an equal basis. The key, of course, is earning his trust, as it is with all birds.

:welave:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've also used pure aloe juice mixed in my water mister. It does help. I've also added a few drops of Benedryl to the mixture. It helps to calm the itch.

I had an exact ratio from a vet...but have forgot what it is. :(

SilverBirdie

Moving in
My Goffin can be one of those 'lure you in' then whip around and nail you birds. She also likes to stick her foot out, grab your finger and try to get it in range of her beak.
Sneaky little bird! On the most part mine is a sweet heart, but does have those moments.

If this bird is not doing it out of fear, then it may have been developed from a sort of game he plays. Mine is like that, just a little sh!t.

Not getting what mine wants can also get me those lure me in bites.

Goffins are masters of manipulation. ;) But once you win their favor, they're worth every nip.

Keep out of beak range for now to avoid bites. Once that habit starts to slow down, you'll be able to get closer. But be patient, it may take quite a while for that to happen.

Goffins usually like to shred things, and also like chippable wood. Not too thick for them.

They also like interactive toys, such as foraging stuff. Mine once unscrewed all the railing on my deck.

Mine also plucks and overpreens, Goffins seem to pick up this behavior easily. They are super smart and easily bored. They IMO can be demanding little birds.

Good luck, and thanks for helping out this little one.
Thanks for this! Sounds like my boy. Just planning on giving him lots of time ands lots of love.

Welcome and thank you for helping this bird. :)
Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the poor guy in!
Thanks for saving him! He sounds like he really needs a stable, benevolent situation. Since he's eating seeds, sprouts might be an easy, natural way to help transition him to something with lots of nutrition packed in. As for bathing, I favor water with a splash of pure aloe juice in a pump sprayer. Good luck!
Poor lil dude ...best of luck to both of you ..sending you tons of hugs for your journey :hug8::hug8::hug8:
Good luck to both of you.
Thank you for taking this poor guy in. It will take quite some time, but eventually, he will accept you. Once he realizes the atmosphere has changed, the the abuse is gone, he will start meeting you on an equal basis. The key, of course, is earning his trust, as it is with all birds.

:welave:
Thanks everyone, I'm glad to be here and excited to put all the good advice to use!

SilverBirdie

Moving in
Ok so update! I brought him home this morning and it took him a bit to settle in and start acting like a normal bird (Well normal for him) again. We set up a TV for him in the bird room so he could watch cartoons while he ate and he seemed to really enjot himself. He ate dinner and had some "On top of the cage time" Something that he hasen't ever really had and seemed to enjoy. Unfortunatly he did pull a tail feather, which seemes to be his main problem spot. It bled a bit but stopped quickly. Any tips to break the habbit, it breaks my heart.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Plucking is SO hard to modify. All I can suggest is that you accept him as he is, praise behaviors that are positive, like he just won the Super Bowl, and provide him with healthy outlets: foraging toys, positive interactions, i.e. ambient interaction, LOADS of foraging toys, and shreddables, such as palm blossoms, adding machine rolls of paper, etc. Be patient and accept that it's going to take baby steps.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
little tiny baby steps, remember there is honeymoon period where all is right when you first bring a bird home. did you get vet apt set up for him ??