• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopt! watch parrot confidential

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
Hello fellow parrot owners and other parrot breeders. I am trying to spread the word to adopt your parrot instead of buying. When you buy a parrot the breeder will breed more. Most parrots will have more than two homes and the avarage is 8-9 :sad9: if you would not mind and need more convincing watch parrot confidential on youtube. 53 min long. There are only about 200 pairs of hyacith macaws left in the wild. Adopt. Its the right thing to do. Stop breeding.:bounce3:

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
I wouldn't say stop breeding, other wise more and more birds would be taken from their homes in the wild. Yes- breeding is over done and needs to be controlled. Although breeders do over price and that's what it seems like most of them are there for. I'm assuming over 70% of rehomed and rescued birds are from breeders, the breeder should do more on educating there customers on proper care and the commitment of owning a parrot. :)

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
I guess you are right. If only they could have been left alone in the beginning:( I hope some large mass breeders shut down though. The importation of wild parrots has been banned for a while so I dont think to many peeps are thaat greedy.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Hello fellow parrot owners and other parrot breeders. I am trying to spread the word to adopt your parrot instead of buying. When you buy a parrot the breeder will breed more. Most parrots will have more than two homes and the avarage is 8-9 :sad9: if you would not mind and need more convincing watch parrot confidential on youtube. 53 min long. There are only about 200 pairs of hyacith macaws left in the wild. Adopt. Its the right thing to do. Stop breeding.:bounce3:
I have seen the show when it originally aired on PBS. I agree with you, but there is a need for breeders of endangered species, but not for the pet industry. For the past few years, I have noticed a decline in breeders because of their old age and poor economy. I think bird breeders should have in their sales contracts that if for any reason the new owners cannot or do not want their bird any more to contact the breeder and see if the breeder will take it back.

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
I
I have seen the show when it originally aired on PBS. I agree with you, but there is a need for breeders of endangered species, but not for the pet industry. For the past few years, I have noticed a decline in breeders because of their old age and poor economy. I think bird breeders should have in their sales contracts that if for any reason the new owners cannot or do not want their bird any more to contact the breeder and see if the breeder will take it back.
Agree. Thats what i mean. Breeding and relese is good.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Parrot Confidential is very one sided and bent completely towards the Animal Rightist crowd. Watch these things, if you wish, but never give up incorporating your own experiences and your own logical thoughts.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Yes, questioning through logic, reason, objectivity (and science!) above blind faith to what we are told!

OP, thank you for bringing attention to this doc. on the very real problems that these birds face. Broadly speaking, life as a pet is inconsistent with their known adaptations and biological drives. I only wish this documentary was broadcast to the general public more often - peoples eyes do open when they see it. To the contrary, there are so many bird/pet stores where people can walk in and fall in love with a baby parrot and purchase on impulse. Making it all the more necessary for those who do not yet own birds to be exposed to a reality that dispels the myth (and far more widespread image) of the parrot as a caged ornament or entertaining pet. That there are emotional beings behind that awe inspiring feathered body. More social than we are and whose needs, in that respect and others, prove difficult to impossible for the average home to meet. As the field of ethology grows and as we learn more about the sentience of other beings I believe/ hope that a civilized society will be under greater pressure to elevate non-human life beyond its current status of commodities.

Last edited:

pajarita

Walking the driveway
People are beginning to take notice, David, just look at the wonderful laws they passed in Sweden on parrot breeding and ownership! Of course, I don't see anything similar happening in America any time soon because we live in an oligarchy and the pet industry is so very rich and powerful but one can't help but hope...

ratgirl

Strolling the yard
I

Agree. Thats what i mean. Breeding and relese is good.

This is a really naive position. Almost no captively bred parrots will ever be released into the wild. For one thing, if we don't stop destroying habitat, there won't be anywhere to release them. Parrots have a kind of culture. You can't just raise a bird and turn it loose.

I am really sick of the idea that all breeding of any animal is bad. It's not. There are some really bad ones out there. Just like there are bad rescues. Some of which charge a pretty good price to 'adopt' a bird. Some of you seem to be really buying the AR position without giving it any thought.

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Actually, there are programs now that are releasing parrots bred out of captive ones into the wild successfully (15 Endangered Puerto Rican parrots released into the wild | Fox News Latino - on the same program: PARROTS  INTERNATIONAL - the Scarlet one: Macaw Release Programme, Costa Rica | Global Volunteer Services / Work | Study Abroad Volunteer Programs another three they are working on: Orange-Bellied Parrots to get Werribee Gym | Zoos Victoria - AZGFD.gov Game and Fish coauthors unprecedented international recovery plan for endangered thick-billed parrots - and let's not forget the Spix program which recently acquired a farm in Brazil where the last wild macaw lived in order to allow it to go back to a natural state so they can start releasing them: The Spix's Macaw. Yes, we do need to stop destroying habitats and everybody should take this into consideration when buying a product (like RPO and soy, for example).

Breeding animals is not bad, per se. It's the way it's done, whether their physiological and emotional needs are fulfilled, if the market can support more animals or not (overpopulation), and what the animal is bred for that makes the difference. Personally, I don't agree with breeding companion animals to be sold as merchandise, if it's impossible to keep them happy and healthy in captivity, if there are already too many out there or to breed them to be used as 'entertainment'.

And, no, I don't 'buy' the AR position without giving it any thought. I have actually given it A LOT of thought! And why is it that AR is used as a bad word in a site which devotes itself to the wellbeing of animals? Don't we all love animals and want to see them protected from abuse and neglect? AR is not Peta, you know...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

pajarita

Walking the driveway
AR (animal rights) is a term that classically describes a class of organizations that promote the end of animals as a food source or as pets. AM (animal welfare) describes a class of organizations that promote the end of cruelty and mis-treatment of animals.

These two sites explain the difference between the two philosophies.
Welfare vs. Rights | Animal Welfare Council
http://animalwelfarecouncil.com/welfare-vs-rights/
No, this is only THEIR take on it. And it's the same site, namely the Animal Welfare Council, which one and only goal is (and I quote from their site) "(to) support the use of animals in recreation, entertainment, industry and sports" meaning circus, hunters, racing organizations, food animal producers, etc all the way down to canned hunts and cruel experimentation, my dear. Not what you would call 'animal lovers' or anybody actually concerned about their welfare, are they?

Not ALL animal rights activists want to kill all pets or for everybody to become vegan. This is just something put out by the people who want to keep the status quo and continue exploiting animals. And don't get me started with the AVA who are the group that most opposes a change in legal status for companion animals because they don't want to pay malpractice insurance!

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I just watched that documentary maybe two days ago ?very good watch ! :) recommend everyone to watch it!:D It did make me feel bad though that my cockatiels were from breeders...but birds in pet stores need homes too! We just need a lot and I mean a lot of education!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Whether you buy from a pet store or get a rescue, rehome or adopted bird, the majority of *pet* birds have come from breeders. Out of all of the birds I'm caring for, made up of mostly rehomes, only one has not come from a breeder that I am aware of.... and it actually saddens me that she's *NOT* from a breeder, because, as per the information I've gathered, she's a wild caught import.

If your bird did not come from a breeder in one way or another, would you prefer a wild caught parrot instead?

If parrots were never within captivity, never in our homes, never in zoos or educational programs, would we love and care for them as much as we do? Would we care about whether or not they became extinct in the wild? Would we strive to save the species at all if we knew nothing about them?

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I hunt. I fish, although I would rather be catching. I was an animal trainer for most of my working life as well as a horse breeder. I also have a profound love and respect for all living creatures. I also despise governments as they are in my estimation the natural enemy of a free person. That being said, I do not hunt or fish for sport or relaxation, and as much as I don't like governments, without them we would not have the level of life that we have. I recognize the need for governmental intervention when we the people will not take responsibility for the things that we do , especially when we know that it is destroying the environment, senselessly killing off whole species of animals and plants and so on.
I have no issues with breeding animals, if it is done in a responsible manner. It is true that most of the birds that we see here in the USA are the result of captive breeding and that it is not being done responsibly. Under the current system, adopting is the primary means that we have to tell the bird mills and the irresponsible breeders to stop what they are doing as it makes it hard for them to sell their birds and make a profit. Unfortunately it also hurts the more responsible breeders in the process.
Yes, we need to educate the general population about parrots, but it also goes far beyond just that, and as much as I dislike the government , we do need there to be established regulations governing the breeding, raising and sale of captive species of birds as well as regulations to further protect these creature from the abuses inflicted upon them by their owners, the very people who are supposed to love and care for them.
This is just my basic take on this topic, I would love to go much further into it than this, but I would end up being banned and that would prevent any good that I may otherwise be able to do.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Historically, any financial transaction anywhere involving an animal puts a price on that animals head in the wild. It comes from demand and domestic breeding doesn't alleviate this. Although I do feel that the professional breeder contributes to a better aviculture than does the hobby breeder. Wherever the animal is found in its natural habitat trapping will always be easy for any poachers looking to capitalize on demand. This is currently driving the extinction of Grey parrots in Africa. It is also why SA countries like Costa Rica display "They Are Not Pets" posters in various public buildings as they strive to protect their natural wonders. Pet-owners probably contribute more to worldwide demand than to conservation. But I feel that a documentary such as this one will dissuade people who wouldn't have realized the commitment involved. Affecting demand through informed decision making, with or without laws or regulations. It's important to spread the word to those who do not yet own parrots.

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy

Your ending statement of only 200 pairs in the wild should be the starting point if one wants to speak of conservation and what the issues are and I do not see you addressing that at all! Stop beating up people who get it, don't steal from the wild, do understand and deal with where we are now. Start at the beginning where these majestic animals are in the wild and help address those issues as conservation at the beginning leads to better end results.
There have been several threads on this issue and you might want to take a look at what has already been presented.

Tell me...who does anything regarding conservation of parrots in the wild. How many here donate to help with conservation of parrots in the wild. Can you name at least 5 programs that have helped parrots in the wild? What countries still take birds from the wild and what countries still allow wild caught parrots. What have indigenous people done to protect their wild life? What have we done to protect ours?

Sigh, just tired of being preached at. I have birds. They are here. Tell me the best way to care for the lovely creatures to make life better for them now. Adoption practices vary greatly. People who would be great owners of parrots are turned away for stupid reasons. Some rescues have less than a 5% adoption rate. I think problems are occuring at this end with adoption also but is not reported very often.

Finally, this forum is the airport and about living with flighted birds and there is a forum to address the issues you wish to bring to light....

Last edited:

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Whether you buy from a pet store or get a rescue, rehome or adopted bird, the majority of *pet* birds have come from breeders. Out of all of the birds I'm caring for, made up of mostly rehomes, only one has not come from a breeder that I am aware of.... and it actually saddens me that she's *NOT* from a breeder, because, as per the information I've gathered, she's a wild caught import.

If your bird did not come from a breeder in one way or another, would you prefer a wild caught parrot instead?

If parrots were never within captivity, never in our homes, never in zoos or educational programs, would we love and care for them as much as we do? Would we care about whether or not they became extinct in the wild? Would we strive to save the species at all if we knew nothing about them?

No, I would not prefer a wild-caught. If I could not rescue or adopt, I would not have parrots. I refuse to be part of an industry that exploits animals and dooms them to half a life.

And I don't know how you feel about this but I don't think it's an either/or situation when it comes to caring and captivity. I don't go to zoos because I don't agree with keeping animals suffering just so people can go and gawk at them (I worked in a zoo and most people are not really aware of the cruelty that goes on 'behind the scenes'). And I don't keep an elephant, a Siberian tiger, a polar bear, a mountain gorilla, etc in my home but I still care and donate to causes that are fighting for them not to be become extinct - and I am not alone on this, lots of people do! Are people selfish and self-centered? Yes, they most certainly are. Do they 'want what they want and damn who suffers for it'? Yes, they do. Will people ever stop keeping undomesticated animals that don't do well in a human home? No, they won't. And that's why we need better laws to protect them and to regulate ownership. If we can do it for our own American wildlife, we can do it for all of them.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
No, I would not prefer a wild-caught. If I could not rescue or adopt, I would not have parrots. I refuse to be part of an industry that exploits animals and dooms them to half a life.

And I don't know how you feel about this but I don't think it's an either/or situation when it comes to caring and captivity. I don't go to zoos because I don't agree with keeping animals suffering just so people can go and gawk at them (I worked in a zoo and most people are not really aware of the cruelty that goes on 'behind the scenes'). And I don't keep an elephant, a Siberian tiger, a polar bear, a mountain gorilla, etc in my home but I still care and donate to causes that are fighting for them not to be become extinct - and I am not alone on this, lots of people do! Are people selfish and self-centered? Yes, they most certainly are. Do they 'want what they want and damn who suffers for it'? Yes, they do. Will people ever stop keeping undomesticated animals that don't do well in a human home? No, they won't. And that's why we need better laws to protect them and to regulate ownership. If we can do it for our own American wildlife, we can do it for all of them.

Then why do you have parrots?

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Because they needed somebody to take good care of them. I mostly rescue but some came as adoptions from CL from something that might have caught my attention on the ad - like 'aggressive', 'screamer', 'needs a very experienced owner', 'bites', 'hasn't been handled in years', 'handicapped' or because you see the bird is badly plucked, mutilates or some other problem, etc. I never take young, healthy and adoptable ones although sometimes I end up with one of them because the owner misunderstood the bird greatly.