• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A tough decision to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, it happened again. Java got spooked and flew into the wall where he fell behind my desk and somehow ended up on his back being wedged beneath the desk and the floor. Each time I grabbed him, he bit me and screamed, and I thought I wasn't going to get him out. Well, I did, and he let me hold him for a few minutes, petting his head, but now I'm beginning to consider clipping his wings. Right now he's playing with his toys, and I personally don't believe in clipping wings unless it's for the bird's safety. I told myself I would only ever clip him if he went blind, but after having so many scares where he crashes into the wall, I'm afraid he'll end up breaking something or even worse. I really, really don't want to clip him, and hate the fact that I'm even considering it, but I'm at a loss on how to further bird-proof my room. There has to be another way bedside clipping him.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I understand your concern, and you certainly can clip him, but my experience with my birds being clipped is they still flew very well. They flew from their cage up onto book cases and up onto curtain rods. That was right after I brought them home from the breeder and their wings were freshly clipped. I understand you wanting to make it safer for him, but I don't think it will stop a fright from crashing him into the wall. I am absolutely NOT judging, I get your concern and if you need to clip for peace of mind let us know if it has helped at all. Good luck.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand your concern, and you certainly can clip him, but my experience with my birds being clipped is they still flew very well. They flew from their cage up onto book cases and up onto curtain rods. That was right after I brought them home from the breeder and their wings were freshly clipped. I understand you wanting to make it safer for him, but I don't think it will stop a fright from crashing him into the wall. I am absolutely NOT judging, I get your concern and if you need to clip for peace of mind let us know if it has helped at all. Good luck.
I completely forgot that Vasas are very strong fliers, and the only way I could ensure he didn't get any lift would be to do a really harsh clip, which I absolutely will not do. Knowing that I took flight from him would keep me up at night, but I don't know what else to do. I'm willing to do anything to keep from clipping him, even if that means getting rid of my desk. Maybe I can barricade the desk so he can't get behind it. It's a corner desk and he manages to fall where the desk connects to the wall because of the small space. Maybe I can put a piece of cardboard or a shelf in that space to keep him from hitting the floor. It won't stop him from hitting the wall, but it'll eliminate him from falling hopefully.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
My nanday flew to the roof of our farm house 10 years ago. He was clipped. Our cockatoo flies from the floor to the back of the couch, he's clipped. Once the current clips grow out, we'll practice fight and stationing.
All that to say, not sure a clip will solve the problem. :sadhug2:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I completely forgot that Vasas are very strong fliers, and the only way I could ensure he didn't get any lift would be to do a really harsh clip, which I absolutely will not do. Knowing that I took flight from him would keep me up at night, but I don't know what else to do. I'm willing to do anything to keep from clipping him, even if that means getting rid of my desk. Maybe I can barricade the desk so he can't get behind it. It's a corner desk and he manages to fall where the desk connects to the wall because of the small space. Maybe I can put a piece of cardboard or a shelf in that space to keep him from hitting the floor. It won't stop him from hitting the wall, but it'll eliminate him from falling hopefully.
How wide would you say the space is +/-?

Do you think the wall would be more visible if you hung serpentine throw strips on it? Paper strips, usually thrown @ New Year's Eve parties.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have pillows stuffed on top of my desk, between the wall and desk, because my dove got stuck back there, and I cant have that..my space between is about 4 inches..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I definitely don't think clipping is the answer in this situation. I am guessing he would make it there regardless if he was spooked enough.

I would also try a barrier of some sort. Perhaps some plexiglass that hangs over that space to prevent access without you having to move the desk?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
When I'm making barriers I'm just using curtains that is from the roof to floor. They can fly in it, and will not hurt themselves more then perhaps landing on the floor.
I'm not sure how that area you have looks like, but post a pic so we easier can help you.
To clip wont help, it will probably make it worse. Better that he learns to fly and making mistakes, but can land safe without hurting himself.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny flew about 16 feet clipped so I doubt it will ground him.

She was never clipped first 18 years of her life so she is strong!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks guys, I really did not want to clip him, and I won't. I'll just have to barricade every inch that he may be able to wedge himself into or under. The last thing I want is for him to be grounded and never learn to fly.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Tomorrow I will take pictures of my curling ribbon barrier that keeps my two from getting back into my bathroom and bedroom where they would not be safe. I don't wanted wake them up with flash from my phone.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Styrofoam wedged in that space would work too. I had to do that until Sweet Pea got better at flying. She would get behind my entertainment center.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
When Pinto's wings first grew out, she was a total mess!
She would fly into windows, walls, doors and mirrors. She simply couldn't fly, and I broke my heart to see her like that :(
Recently tho, she has started to manouver better, and doesn't crash anymore. She is yet to fly to specific destination, but it goes to show they learn from mistakes.

And Java will too :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There has to be another way bedside clipping him.
So how would clipping help? Takes away any and all control, worse than he already didn't have. When startled again instead launching into a window (which should be covered so its not a target) he's going to drop to floor like a rock. If your car doesn't drive very well, flattening the tires does nothing but cause more problems. The solution is you don't take that car out on the freeway.

The solution is a reduced/restricted flight environment so it is safe no matter if he launches. You need to create an enclosure/barrier around his cage to keep flights short and targeted. You can get plastic screening at any hardware store and hang it like curtains. It's that simple. The truth is only half that room is yours. The other half is his but its full of your stuff. It's all about environment. Always is.

Status
Not open for further replies.