• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A tough decision to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How old is he? Has he ever been clipped before?
Frankly I think it will place undue stress upon him to have his flight taken away from him. I must say that I am an unclipped bird advocate at heart, so my answer is truly biased. I have 12 birds, all unclipped. To imagine what they would go through to have that taken away sincerely stresses me out.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So how would clipping help? Takes away any and all control, worse than he already didn't have. When startled again instead launching into a window (which should be covered so its not a target) he's going to drop to floor like a rock. If your car doesn't drive very well, flattening the tires does nothing but cause more problems. The solution is you don't take that car out on the freeway.

The solution is a reduced/restricted flight environment so it is safe no matter if he launches. You need to create an enclosure/barrier around his cage to keep flights short and targeted. You can get plastic screening at any hardware store and hang it like curtains. It's that simple. The truth is only half that room is yours. The other half is his but its full of your stuff. It's all about environment. Always is.

I agree w/ John. My vet clipped before I could get my ?'s out about it. I was a new Mom & it was something I had not read about. Buddy flew into the wall & bruised his beak bad afterwards. You cans see it here in this pic, it's still growing out.

There's 2 spots here the top one is a piece of cherry. But the smudge you see in the center right below is the bruise.

IMG_20180726_190049.jpg

Buddy was basically atrophied to the point where he could barely open his wings when I got him. But my Dad had his cage literally 8" from the outdoors. I remember when he was less than a year he was clipped. I had to teach him how & where to fly. Its just a little run in the Living room but it works. Clipping him was a huge mistake. I'm still waiting for the last 2 clips to go (1 on each). Its been a year.

I agree w/ Sandra maybe use crepe paper streamers for the wall. Also they make these to marry a stove & counter. Maybe there's a way to make it work for your desk.I

Amazon.com: 25 inches Silicone Stove Counter Gap Cover (Set of 2) by Kettio, Seals Out Spills Between Counters, Appliances, Dryers, Stoves, Washing Machines and More - Matte Black: Appliances

:gbh: Rain

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am just curious if Java crashes into the same localized area of the wall each time this happens, if it is in the same location each time maybe that will be the right place to put something for him to land on.
I am thinking of when Burt was first learning to fly, he would run out of steam and start to panic at the same general areas each time he flew. I ended up putting furniture that he could land on in that area and he no longer crashed into the wall as he would make his way to the furniture when he was starting to struggle.
I do realize that the situation with Java is different as he has a disability and I am not suggesting that this is the answer, it was just something that crossed my mind.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is he? Has he ever been clipped before?
Frankly I think it will place undue stress upon him to have his flight taken away from him. I must say that I am an unclipped bird advocate at heart, so my answer is truly biased. I have 12 birds, all unclipped. To imagine what they would go through to have that taken away sincerely stresses me out.
He just turned 9, and when I got him he was unclipped but I was told that he had been clipped in the past and was never allowed to fledge. The breeder I got him from said in the two years she had him she's never seen him fly or make an attempt

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am just curious if Java crashes into the same localized area of the wall each time this happens, if it is in the same location each time maybe that will be the right place to put something for him to land on.
I am thinking of when Burt was first learning to fly, he would run out of steam and start to panic at the same general areas each time he flew. I ended up putting furniture that he could land on in that area and he no longer crashed into the wall as he would make his way to the furniture when he was starting to struggle.
I do realize that the situation with Java is different as he has a disability and I am not suggesting that this is the answer, it was just something that crossed my mind.
It isn't a localized area, he crashes into whatever's in front of him when he's spooked. He's even smacked into me a few times. But I will add more padding and clear places for him to land so he isn't stopped by a lamp or my laptop. I've decided not to clip him and just make as many arrangements as I can to help him learn to fly and land safely :grouphug2:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It isn't a localized area, he crashes into whatever's in front of him when he's spooked. He's even smacked into me a few times. But I will add more padding and clear places for him to land so he isn't stopped by a lamp or my laptop. I've decided not to clip him and just make as many arrangements as I can to help him learn to fly and land safely :grouphug2:
:hug8:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
20180728_091453.jpg 20180728_091509.jpg 20180728_091520.jpg 20180728_091526.jpg 20180728_091543.jpg 20180728_091602.jpg

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
The top 3 are the curling ribbons that keep Sweet Pea and Bebe from going down the hallway.
The next one is across the dining room.
The last 2 are cross the small entry to my front door.

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Well, it happened again. Java got spooked and flew into the wall where he fell behind my desk and somehow ended up on his back being wedged beneath the desk and the floor. Each time I grabbed him, he bit me and screamed, and I thought I wasn't going to get him out. Well, I did, and he let me hold him for a few minutes, petting his head, but now I'm beginning to consider clipping his wings. Right now he's playing with his toys, and I personally don't believe in clipping wings unless it's for the bird's safety. I told myself I would only ever clip him if he went blind, but after having so many scares where he crashes into the wall, I'm afraid he'll end up breaking something or even worse. I really, really don't want to clip him, and hate the fact that I'm even considering it, but I'm at a loss on how to further bird-proof my room. There has to be another way bedside clipping him.
All of my birds are clipped when they enter my home to prevent accidents. When their wings grow back in, they've had ample time to adjust to me and my home. Remember - they have their whole lives to be flighted, but a few months with clipped wings could be the difference between a comfortable, well-adjusted bird and a broken neck :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've noticed though with my combined flock of tiels, gccs, Quakers & sun Tikki when someone gives the alarm in the bird/family room those who can't fly will jump off their cages. Those that can fly, specifically the tiels, will wheel around the room in flock formation panic and have flown into me and into the bay window or sliding door, both of which have UV stickers and perches or hanging toys on them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when the fids panic it overrides their knowledge of the "lay of the land"? None of my fids are babies and we've been in this house fo 7 years now so they know where everything is.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've noticed though with my combined flock of tiels, gccs, Quakers & sun Tikki when someone gives the alarm in the bird/family room those who can't fly will jump off their cages. Those that can fly, specifically the tiels, will wheel around the room in flock formation panic and have flown into me and into the bay window or sliding door, both of which have UV stickers and perches or hanging toys on them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when the fids panic it overrides their knowledge of the "lay of the land"? None of my fids are babies and we've been in this house fo 7 years now so they know where everything is.
And Java panics at everything, from a small sneeze to a napkin falling on the floor. He's so high- strung.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Styrofoam is going to last longer. I had to use it when Sweet Pea first came to my house. She would fly like bat out of he^( and get behind a entertainment center. It would that alot of coaxing to get her out there. Once the foam was wedged in she learned to stay out of there.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I've never used Avicalm but other members have. I have some and was reading the instructions - the good news is that you can add it to food or water so it won't be a matter of forcing him to take a measured dose.

Another thought on the space between your desk and the wall. If you have any boxes that fit and can fill up the lower part of the space then you should be able to use an old pillow or folded quilt at the very top to make for a soft landing place.

My other thought was to make a type of triangular hammock and nail/pin it to the wall - something looking like this - Custom Fleece Hammock corner or square for guinea pig ferret

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never used Avicalm but other members have. I have some and was reading the instructions - the good news is that you can add it to food or water so it won't be a matter of forcing him to take a measured dose.

Another thought on the space between your desk and the wall. If you have any boxes that fit and can fill up the lower part of the space then you should be able to use an old pillow or folded quilt at the very top to make for a soft landing place.

My other thought was to make a type of triangular hammock and nail/pin it to the wall - something looking like this - Custom Fleece Hammock corner or square for guinea pig ferret
I have plenty of empty boxes laying around, so I'll make them fit, and there are plenty of pillows and cushions that I could use.
I'll give AviCalm a try and hope for the best.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The science of Avicalm is the same active ingredient in matcha tea that helps reduce anxiety in people. I do feel more at ease when I drink matcha vs coffee. It's not like a cure, but takes off the edge. I do find CBD oil more effective than matcha for maintenance on myself, HOWEVER I tried CBD for the birds and didn't seem to notice any change where I HAVE had luck with Avicalm for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.