• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A tough decision to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
All of my birds are clipped when they enter my home to prevent accidents. When their wings grow back in, they've had ample time to adjust to me and my home. Remember - they have their whole lives to be flighted, but a few months with clipped wings could be the difference between a comfortable, well-adjusted bird and a broken neck :(
Food for thought... maybe birds who are clipped at a young age (prior to 6-12 months) are more prone to accidents because they haven't had a chance to *really* learn how to fly and grow... both physically and mentally.

This link goes into it.... which mentions that everything that is said about african greys being nervous, clumsy and even neurotic birds is *true* if they are clipped, but false if never clipped at a young age.

Ethical, Moral & Spiritual Considerations of Companion Parrot Care

If you get a small bird that has had flight for the first 6-12 months in age and then clip prior to bringing home, then that's probably better than getting a newly weaned chick that's clipped before taking that bird home. Larger birds should have a longer period of flight prior to clipping, potentially 8-24 months at least.

So now we are in this thread with a larger parrot that was previously clipped and hadn't tried to fly for two years at the breeders and is high-strung, nervous, sensitive, clumsy... any possibility that this behavior could be linked to being clipped at a *young* age?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Food for thought... maybe birds who are clipped at a young age (prior to 6-12 months) are more prone to accidents because they haven't had a chance to *really* learn how to fly and grow... both physically and mentally.

This link goes into it.... which mentions that everything that is said about african greys being nervous, clumsy and even neurotic birds is *true* if they are clipped, but false if never clipped at a young age.

If you get a small bird that has had flight for the first 6-12 months in age and then clip prior to bringing home, then that's probably better than getting a newly weaned chick that's clipped before taking that bird home. Larger birds should have a longer period of flight prior to clipping, potentially 8-24 months at least.

So now we are in this thread with a larger parrot that was previously clipped and hadn't tried to fly for two years at the breeders and is high-strung, nervous, sensitive, clumsy... any possibility that this behavior could be linked to being clipped at a *young* age?
I also wonder if his behavior couldn't also be linked to the fact that he's been injured and only has one leg. That had to have been a traumatic injury for him to say the least.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There was a brief mention of him possibly suffering from PTSD but I haven't seen any major fits other than him being a nervous wreck

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Were you ever given any info on what happened or how he lost his leg? From what you've said any sudden conversation or movement seems to spook him. How does he react to the T.V. or radio? Does he get spooked by them too or is strictly to live humans only? Sorry about the 20 questions but I'm trying to throw out any thoughts that may help. I wonder if there's anything like "white noise" for birds - like a tape of bird or aviary noises that could be played in a loop.

Some of my fids would get spooked by a sudden noise or shades/doors/fridge/freezer door opening so I started say "Noise" or "Door" and the gccs and sun have put it together. They don't spook any more - now it's mainly meter readers/gardeners or hawks outside that set them off.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He was attacked by a racoon. And I always have something playing on my tablet, which he's perfectly fine with. He hadn't reacted negatively to anything I've played, music or YouTube, but live people, he panics. He's also terrified of crows but not robins or blue jays

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Maybe the people panic is because of the raccoon attack. He'd obviously have to be treated by a vet and as an emergency situation. If he was a breeder he went from a bird mainly habitat to probable hospitalization, being handled and medicated and probably quarantined/kept in an incubator. Lots of different people, noises, lighting and handling. Poor baby. At least he's in a good place with you though. It'll take time.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I'm a bit late to this thread but here goes lol

To clip wont help, it will probably make it worse. Better that he learns to fly and making mistakes, but can land safe without hurting himself.
I agree with this. Levi was clipped her whole life (that I know of) and never learned to fly. She now flies into walls and only flies when scared, which is heartbreaking considering how well Grumbles flies.

Again I would agree with that idea. Levi is basically all of those traits, and never learned to fly because she was clipped. Also being a volunteer at the rescue I have seen many similar cases, and would argue that clipping has a negative impact on them. The birds that come to the rescue flighted are generally much happier as a whole.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He was attacked by a racoon. And I always have something playing on my tablet, which he's perfectly fine with. He hadn't reacted negatively to anything I've played, music or YouTube, but live people, he panics. He's also terrified of crows but not robins or blue jays
Yeah! PTSD could be it. The vets issues I've had w/ 2 different in-house kitties after being hospitalized. They'd just get spooked by an outdoor noise or the TV & bolt.

I know w/ Buddy moved here from his quiet little street where maybe 10 people walk down a day w/ a neighbor driving by... to here where we're on a very busy street 40 miles an hour w/ a fire hall close by. It was a huge change. Lots of spook :angel6:... last summer. Now a year & 4 months later, other than a real super loud car, motorcycle, or the fire truck that blasts its horn right outside the house as a traffic warning. He does ok. However if he sees or hears a group of kids messing around, sometimes he just alerts me, sometimes he'll spook & fly. Almost as bad as the random noises except that fire engine, that makes us all jump & spook! :scared1:

Over time he's gotten better... I'd say once he gets more accustomed it should be better. Like the snow plows here... Initially it scared Buddy, but w/ enough repetitive occurrences he was over it in a week.

I like the cardboard box & pillow idea. Less carbon footprint by useful recycling w/ a soft landing!

I also like the curtain & ribbons! Very ingenious!!!!

Sometimes I make things harder then they have to be.

:hug7: Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.