• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6 month year old blue front amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillblazer

Moving in
Awesome thread! I wish I would have had AA when we got Gonzo our Blue Front 26 years ago. Blue fronts are wonderful creatures so smart and intuitive. One thing I’ve learned is you can't rush things with them. They over think things sometimes and just need a little extra time to earn your trust and feel comfortable. Gonzo likes both my wife and I the same. She does most of the feeding but we both spend equal time with him. You're doing great and you have some excellent help here.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
For some reason over last two days she gives the body language if wanting to step up on to my arm so I have allowed her. She then bites in to my arm quite hard. I couldn't help but say ow as it killed. Not sure what I have done wrong. I tried to stop the biting by getting her to step up to my other arm but she then just bites my other arm hard. Any advice please?

henpecked

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Richard
I can only guess at the situation at your home.Are you smothering her with affection? Try putting her down as soon as she steps up. Talk, play ,etc. without having her on you.When she ask for loving only give her a few seconds worth and stop. Leave her wanting more of your attention instead of biting to say no(that's enough).I think many new owner error by trying to make a snuggle bunny of their new baby. Give her small amounts of attention and it doesn't have to be hands on attention.Don't try and win her over by smothering her, show her how much fun it is to be with you without hands.Later after she decides to go with you it'll be her choice and not yours.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
She's a baby, she needs toys. Try also holding a foot toy in your other hand when you step her up. Distract her from using your body as a chew thing and have a chew thing in your hand for her to chew on.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
She's an amazon haha. You have to earn her trust. I love these guys cause of it. YES you'll find a baby whom loves and adores affection from the get go. But iv delt with many baby amazons (which there immature growl is HILARIOUS! ). She needs to relate you to something she want. Affection,treats, toys. Whatever. Also. How did she learn the amazon bluff so fast??? Just need to finger out why she's biting. If your reacting in a positive fasion you need to stop. She might think it's a fun game. Amazons LOVE to be beaky players. Give it time too. After a little while she should start coming around. Mercedez Is right on the toys too Very Essential to a young parrot of any species. Well unless you want the chances of a feather picker or boredom screamer

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi thx for the great advice. I have followed everyone's advice. I have only picked her up for seconds using food as bait and then put her straight on to another perch. For the rest of the day I have had her out of the cage in the samr room as me playing with her toys. I placed some veg in her so she returned to it by herself. So I have not handled her much but also not been biten. What is the best response when you are biten? Ignore it, place back on perch and leave her alone for few mins? I just want to make sure that I am not accidentally reinforcing the biting. I bet these questions sound silly to people who know what they are doing! She is a wonderful bird though and I have had a good time with her playing today. She has cheered me up as the year has been hard with the death of my partners grand mother and also my long term pet cockatiel pepe passed away a short while ago. Anyhow, thx to everyone on this forum

henpecked

Real Name
Richard
Not silly questions at all, That's how we learn ,by asking "stupid" questions, so glad your willing to learn.I'd try and not show any reaction to the bite,easier said than done. If biting doesn't get the desired results thenshe'll find another way to communicate her feelings.It would help if you learn what her body language is saying, but that takes time. Your doing good,keep it up. When you talk about putting her on a perch, are you sure that's somewhere she wants to go ? Maybe put her back on her cage instead when she steps up.Make stepping up mean stepping up and not "i'm taking you over here" Practice stepping up and down to her cage. You don't want her to associate stepping up with"I'm moving you somewhere else" or "I'm taking you away from here". If you want to put her on her perch when she's on her cage, try announcing before hand that you want to move her and give her a chance to warm to the idea instead of having to make a snap decision to step up and then biting because she regrets it. Say something like"come on lets go" or "wanta go?" before reaching her cage and extending your hand. If she acts like she doesn't want too ,fine. Act like she's missing out and don't offer again for several minutes.

Last edited:

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Had a good day today. I only picked her up gave her a treat and put back on a perch by her cage. Guess what no biting. She has been out of her cage most of the day with me playing with her toys and eating. No problems at all. Although, she did get very angry when my partner returned from work. She fed her some fruits which calmed her down again. I think I shall continue in this nice and slow way and let her get to know me at her pace

gazzington

Strolling the yard
I shall keep everyone up to date with Luna. In the mean time happy Christmas from Wales :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
The tricky thing about biting is that if the bird really wants to be left alone then putting the bird down or in the will reinforce the biting. If the bird wants to be with you than ignoring the bird or putting her down may punish the biting. The only way to know what is happening is to measure the behavior. Is it going up or down by putting her away? If it isn't changing, it isn't working. I would just continue to treat for stepping up. If she is eating, she can be biting. Then, have her step off, then back up, treat, then off and so on.

Hi thx for the great advice. I have followed everyone's advice. I have only picked her up for seconds using food as bait and then put her straight on to another perch. For the rest of the day I have had her out of the cage in the samr room as me playing with her toys. I placed some veg in her so she returned to it by herself. So I have not handled her much but also not been biten. What is the best response when you are biten? Ignore it, place back on perch and leave her alone for few mins? I just want to make sure that I am not accidentally reinforcing the biting. I bet these questions sound silly to people who know what they are doing! She is a wonderful bird though and I have had a good time with her playing today. She has cheered me up as the year has been hard with the death of my partners grand mother and also my long term pet cockatiel pepe passed away a short while ago. Anyhow, thx to everyone on this forum

malukucacatua

Moving in
Ohhh! Congrats on the baby! I would have loved to have seen my BF at 6 months. I got him at 10 years old. My white front I hand fed as a baby, and he has gone through all sorts of naughty phases. I'd like to say he is an angel, but he'll bite people pretty easily. He doesn't get handled when he is hormonal. My BF has calmed as the years have gone on, and I handle him when is hormonal, as long as my husband isn't in the room.

The weird gyrations I might understand. If it is what I think it is, it is good. Luna is comfortable and feeling silly. Treacle, BF-extra large male, does something similar, especially when bathing. Bathing lets the tension out and he'll twist his head all around and then start twisting and tucking his head back and forth between his raised wings. I usually squeal, "SILLY! SILLY! SILLY!" when he does this. I have found I can start it by imitating the movement and squealing the silly call to arms. This is useful when I need to destress a situation. Also, he does a feather fluff and shake, and yells a sort of Whoa! sound that de-stresses him. All my birds do it now. When I need to ratchet back the stress of anyone I pretend shake out my feathers and yell " whooooooaaaaa!" And tell the birds to shake out their feathers. It works like a dreams dialing back hormonal drama.

Everyone's advice on stepping up is great. I've had the same issue with finishing out hand feeding babies. They don't know you, they are clumsy, and feel insecure stepping up so they latch on hard to your hand as it makes them feel more stable. If Luna has had a wing trim, then that can make her feel unstable too. The food trick takes their minds off of their insecurity and quickly they learn your hand is secure to step up on. But, you are right that you don't want it turn into something more. I agree don't make them always step up, and getting out of their cage on their own is fine. I do think there are times that they have to step up whether they want to or not. Like around the vet, or for an emergency, such as in the case of a fire. I have certain tones of voice that relays I'm not messing around and you have to step up. We sometimes practice it, but not all the time as long as they step up when really necessary. It doesn't have to be a step up either. My M2 doesn't step up from inside the cage (he is wild caught and it is just something he can't do), but he will happily run into a towel and let me take him from the cage (wish they all did that!).

Another thing, never let an Amazon on your shoulder. While it may be debatable if Amazons bite more than other parrots, I can assure you they do bite better than other parrots. They have a tendency to grind what they grab doing tremendous soft tissue damage. I've been bitten by all sorts of animals from a horse to a seal to a snake and by far the worst bite I've gotten is from my BF. The only time I almost passed out from a bite was him. One bite I had nerve damage for 6 months. My Treacle is a champion biter! And in a weird way I'm kind of proud of that. Are all Amazons this way? No, remember he was physically abused. But always keep in mind a large amazon can do great damage so you do not want them on your shoulder near your face. Now after horrifying you with how bad they bite-ask me if I'd give him up? Nope, you'd have to kill me first! Amazons are amazing and charming-yeah they bite, what of it?

My concern is with your partner. If she is frightened of Luna that could develop into a problem. Your partner needs to get over the anxiety before a baby comes along or that will just intensify with a baby and Luna will feed off that. She needs to work through it not try to hide it-because often people hide fear behind aggressive thoughts and that aggression telegraphs right through to a parrot and scares the day lights out them. Of course this is really easy to spout off on and not always easily accomplished. For the sake of full disclosure this advice hasn't been taken in my household!:lol:

It is best to avoid an amazon love triangle. Birds often will bond with one person more than another. Perfectly natural and fine as long as it doesn't go too far. The thing to avoid is you becoming your birds mate and then the parrot tries to chase off the competition. I speak from personal experience. It didn't help that my BF had been abused by a man, but amazons often pick genders they like. IF anyone KNOWS how to stop that DON'T KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!! Treacle hasn't found a female yet, of any species, that he doesn't adore. All males, any species, are hated, because they might steal his harem. Treacle wants my husband's guts for garters. It doesn't help that Joe is afraid of him to some extent. No matter how much I tell him to get over his fear-he doesn't-he understands the concept it is just the putting into action he balks at. Like anyone in an abusive relationship, the abused makes excuses for the abuser. I am told that I just don't understand and that he and Treacle have a complicated relationship. Yeah, right!:rofl:

Unfortunately, being in an amazon love triangle gets me bit not Joe! Parrots do transference biting-they transfer their fear, anger etc, from what is causing that rage to something that is safe. It is something they do in the wild too. When they can't get at who they want to bite (because they might get bitten back) they bite who they can get to who isn't a threat. So, in the wild they might bite at their mate, not that they want to hurt their mate but they want to chase away their mate from the competition. A bird bites a bird and comes away with a beak of feathers-not pleasant for the bitten bird, but not much damage either. I don't have feathers and damage more easily. Treacle transfers the aggression he feels for Joe to me and I'm the one who is bloodied. I really wish they'd work it out, but until Joe gets over his fear I don't think that will happen. So, you see, it best if you and partner just don't go there with Luna.

As for children, never leave them together. But start early looking at the bird together. Infants and small children are hard wired to read non verbal cues. I suspect your child will learn "non verbal parrot-speak" better than you. This may sound odd, because you are trying to keep the child away from the parrot, but lower the cage. The cages are built for adults to look at the birds and that places the parrot always in a dominate position above children. It also restricts a child's view of the bird so they may not see that bird is angry before little hands go in the cage. Also, teach the child to move slowly and calmly. Small fluttering hands look like a small bird being attacked that can't get away, your bird might be scared of that and try to get away or attack.

Small children should not be left with any animal. I cringe at photos of a toddler crawling all over the family dog and pulling at it. The kindest animal can be hurt and automatically snap at a child. I see it as protecting the animal from the child more than the other way around. Small children don't understand the degree of force they are exerting much like Luna doesn't understand. Also, some children are quite old before they truly understand that an animal can feel pain like they do. For both the animal and the child's sake don't trust either. Sad to say that getting bit is a great way to learn to leave the birds alone! Of, course there are always children that never learn that-myself included there :D-

There are some birds that never will bite you, but in general, by owning a bird you are destined to be bloodied by a beak. And always it is your fault.

Best of luck!

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hey everyone. Things are going well. Avoiding the bites has worked really well. I offer her food and she sits on my arm to eat it before I return her to a perch. Today she sat on my arm and allowed me to rub her head and neck :) she is amazing. What tricks etc should I try and teach her or should i leave that for a while? Thanks to all of you. Your advice is really working

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
That is so excellent! You are making progress. A lot of the time it is mostly a matter of teaching a new habit. Give them something else to do. You can't really eat a treat and bite at the same time:) And yes, avoiding doing what triggers bites is critical. Good job!

Hey everyone. Things are going well. Avoiding the bites has worked really well. I offer her food and she sits on my arm to eat it before I return her to a perch. Today she sat on my arm and allowed me to rub her head and neck :) she is amazing. What tricks etc should I try and teach her or should i leave that for a while? Thanks to all of you. Your advice is really working

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone. All good here. We took her out in the car today which she enjoyed. She sits on my arm and I am allowed to scritch her head and neck. She even can do the basics of the wave trick after only 2 sessions. I have also bought a big play gym set up for her in a different room to her cage. I have not been biten at all now for about a week by reading her body language and avoiding the bite.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Great Job !

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
... She does a weird thing when she goes hyper of twisting her head at weird angles, eyes going crazy and making strange noises and fluffing her head. Looks a little crazy, but I also know not to touch her when she is in that mood! I am getting the hang of her body language :) Does anybody elses amazon do some of these weird movements?
:hehe: Yes, both Kobe (Pionus) and Ollie (Amazon) do that with their heads - it's slightly different with each of them and they are both in good spirits when they do it. :hehe:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I think your doing great and i still stand by my conviction of letting her decide when tou can touch her and stepping up will come when she trusts you , all the books in the world wont change my mind once dhe trustd you its no stopping what you can do but till then back off us humans need lessons on edicute like what you dont want dont do to your bird

ok you dont know me i come in your space take you out of it or try what are you going to do ill tell you PUT UP ONE H OF A FIGHT

so if you get bit what do you expect , shes still dosnt trut you and the more you push the longer its going to be one month in a birds life is like a week in ours

its the hardest thing to buy a bird and stand back and not touch not all are like that but she is Mango was to so as hard as it was i never so much as lade a finger on him till he came to me and i took hrs that night building a bond yes it was hard but i did it and he steped up that night .

theres a lot on here that will say im wrong but many more will say im right , a strong bond is what you want and need

learn her body language thats most inportn heck if Mango shows just a touch of it i leave and it passes fast if i didnt i dont know what he would do but attack me as it is its over in seconds

i also found out tonight a ysa hits hormones as early as 3 in captivity so i been smart not knowing it by walking away
otherwise hed be angry for a long time im thinking hes 5 in april and i truthfully didnt know but thought it could be hormones
do your home work now it will pay off
hugssssssssssssss doll MAY THE NEW YEAR BRING THE JOY IN TO YOUR LIFE

SORRY IF I STEPPED OUT OF LINE BUT RUSHING A BIRD REALY GETS MY GANDER UP

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Nah its fine. I am happy to get advice. She is the one who wants to get picked up now. She puts her foot out when I am near her. Matter of interest for the future. What's the best thing to do when they are hormonal.? Leave in cage or try and pick moments in day to let out. It's just that i have already noticed that an amazon can become over loaded very quickly!

henpecked

Real Name
Richard
I think picking your moments is the best plan.It's might be a AM/PM thing,that's when harmonal issues seem to be worse.Your best solution is socialization, the one person bird will be alot harder to manage when hormonal.Your doing great taking her places and including her in your daily activities,keep up the good work and you'll have a well adjusted companion for a long ,long time. PS Yes they can get" overloaded" especially younger birds who love rough and tumble play. When she gets too excited back off and tell her to calm down,she will.Even my older hen "Jake" got all wound up playing with my wife last night ,but she knows the meaning of "easy",just gets so excited she can't help herself, LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.