• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6 month year old blue front amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
thanks everyone, I shall try of these things. I won't be giving up :)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Lol keep ua posted ok

hugssssssssssssssssss

henpecked

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Richard
I think she's biting for the reaction. Get her to step up and then quickly have her step down, Get her to think stepping up doesn't mean "i;m going somewhere" or they want to play with me", Step up means that i step up and then down. It becomes automatic and they don't associate it with anything else. She's young and doesn't know what her bite means or how hard is OK,There's no one biting her back to let her know,,"that hurts". If she was serious biting you won't keep sticking your finger back up there and asking her to step up.Let her know that it's no fun for you.Infact if she keeps doing that , you won't play with her. She wants more than anything else to have a mate and a flock, don't be afraid to show her how this flock works.She'll be happy just fitting in, but if you let her run the show she will. You should reread some of Mellisa's post, she has some excellent insight.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think what worries me is that she does not growl a little like she did in the store but bites instead.
When she was growling at you in the store she was saying she did NOT want to step up. You did not listen to her telling you this politely with a growl, so she was forced to escalate in order to get you to listen.
You MUST learn Amazon body language and not push things or she will continue and bite harder to get her message across.

You can pretty much safely bully a cockatiel around even if they don't want to do something. You cannot safely push an Amazon to do something they don't want to do.

You will need to give her a good reason to step up. Why would she want to step up if the next thing that happens is she gets put in the cage and left alone??? She's no dummy. That's not a reward she wants.

Learn body language, then start clicker training/positive reinforcement.

How do you think you could make the whole process rewarding for her?

Last edited:

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi we have progress. She steps on to hand if I have food with no biting. She allows me and my partner to scratch her neck. One other thing though. How do we make sure she does not overly bond to one owner and remains happy with both of us?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Ha ha i truly dont know but sure glad some good news was worried , hope some won can give you an answer hugssssssssssssssss

henpecked

Real Name
Richard
No magic answer to keep her from bonding to one person. However even if she does you can keep her friends with both of you by including her in as many activities as possible,interacting with her when the favorite person is not around and keeping her near the center of the action in your home.Every one needs to handle her as much as possible.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Thanks everyone. There is no way that I will take Luna back as she truly feels like a good friend and part of the family. I think that I shall get her DNA tested though so that I know what to expect. I must admit that I am dreading her coming back as a male! Are males totally dealable when they are hormonal or is it just a case of read body language and leave well alone if they are looking wild eyed? I have already began to learn when she is up for training and when she looked wild eyed and crazy :) Like I say male or female I will be looking after Luna anyhow but I think that I would like a warning if the test comes back male. Do I take her to the vet for a dna test or is there a home method?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Wow gary im so glad you settled in , im with you as far as male goes but follow me cause mango is a male and will be 5 in april so ill be hitting hormones long befor you

as a male gets olde im going by mango you see where he displays his warnings and its fast and full

the older he gets the more i see but if you see it leave dont stay dont push your luck weather it be male or female

if you walk away they calm down fast and thats what you want mango can fan tail beedy eyes feather raised i say ok bye come when your ready by the time i take 10 steps hes hear with me

as for him bonding to me im his mate and any one comes in to my apt when hes free , he attacke me

right away sending me out of room, i stay there till hes been put in cage,,lol but i axcept that
so if i know your comming i make sure hes in cage

but if i take him out of apt its bethe loves people and is ok with me as were not on his home base

as for dna teasting the can clip a nail and send it

gary welcome to the amazon world

hugsssssss doll

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Lol she now lowwers her head if I pick up a monkey nut so that I can use it to rub her head and neck. They really are comical creatures :) She does a weird thing when she goes hyper of twisting her head at weird angles, eyes going crazy and making strange noises and fluffing her head. Looks a little crazy, but I also know not to touch her when she is in that mood! I am getting the hang of her body language :) Does anybody elses amazon do some of these weird movements?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Lol she now lowwers her head if I pick up a monkey nut so that I can use it to rub her head and neck. They really are comical creatures :) She does a weird thing when she goes hyper of twisting her head at weird angles, eyes going crazy and making strange noises and fluffing her head. Looks a little crazy, but I also know not to touch her when she is in that mood! I am getting the hang of her body language :) Does anybody elses amazon do some of these weird movements?
eyes gfeathers raised tail faned , and if you move strikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

me when i see it i remove my self from the room reason he gets over it fast all that is saying chalange me

and by staying in room thats what your doing in seconds my leaving room mangos headed my way sits on my shoulder saying eh eh eh

hes like that in morning if woke early i just change water put food in un lock cage door and gooooooooooooo

never chalange an amazon

hugsssssss

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone. Things are going well with Luna. She now steps on to my arm when I ask her too. She does still chew my arm quite hard and I have to ask her to be more gentle and if that fails return her to her perch and give her time out. She also likes me to scratch her head and neck again often while chewing my fingers. I am guessing the chewing is part of her being only nearly 7 months old. The problem I have is that even though my partner also interacts with her and makes her food, Luna seems to bite her more often and backs away from her rather than stepping up. Is there any advice for this? Should I step back for a few days and let my partner take over?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
glad to see update slow ans steady is my only answer feeding her isnt enough she needs to spend quiet times with her sit sing talk it sounds crazy but is only way read to her this is whats called bonding building her trust rou need to build it strong now cause what you miss today is gone for ever ,

bonding with anMzon is the most inportant thing you can do all the sepups and scrunches are nothing if not a good strong bond im thinking your still pushing back of slow down , stop trying to be in comand shes the boss she will tell you yes or no dont push if she says no then its no

i promise you all will fall in to place iffffffffffff you go at her pace , any damage you do at this age is there a life time
and can realy back fire later on , this is what you dont want ,

remember shes a child your trying to mold except a bird dosent trust you you have to earn it

gd luck slow down have fun hugssssssssssssssssssss doll

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi all. Things are going well with Luna. She happily steps up and only gives me a slight nip when I believe she is a bit bored! I just constantly praise what she does well and ignore anything that is not so favorable. It seems to be working slowly but surely :) This sounds weird but can anyone tell me about how much fruit/veg/pellet/seed to give her each day. She eats loads of fruit and veg :) Also what should their poop be like? The green bit in middle is sold but the rest is very wet but then again she eats loads of fruit. Thanks everyone

henpecked

Real Name
Richard
Glad to hear things are progressing well. The pellet manufacturers say pellets should make up 70% of diet, but they're selling pellets.If your give her a good variety of foods then i don't see much of an issue. The more fruit the wetter the droppings, birds pass their solid and liquid waste at the same time,and all sounds fine.Normally we give fresh food in the AM and remove after a few hours to prevent spoilage.Pellets are 24/7 and misc. treats (not junk food) when you feel like it.Sounds like your doing a great job and asking good question, congrats, your a birdie momma now.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Thanks. I love Luna to bits :) She makes me smile even when she is being naughty or worked up as they are just so comical to watch. I know that there will be some difficult times with hormones but I will just be there for her when it strikes. I feel silly that I was so worried about that a few weeks ago. They live for such a long time that it is only reasonable that they have difficult weeks/months etc. I will just handle her when her body language say that I can in those times :) I think the other thing that scared me was how much bad press amazons get when you read some places on the net.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What a great update. I see you mentioned she may be bored? Just make sure to provide her the biggest cage and play area as possible and lots and lots of toys. They need tons of toys. :)

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi. Yes she has a new play gym and toys on the way. One other thing someone told me that I should not let her climb out of her cage with out me picking her up. She hates me doing this and growls. She is happy climbing out by her self. Also what's the best response when they bite. She steps up fine but sometimes bites my arm. Should I ignore it or do a slight arm drop. Every book I read has different information. It is very hard to try and carry on trying to distract an amazon with step ups when it is clamping its beak on your arm. I just want to ensure that her and I have a good relationship for our life time together :) should i walk out of room after bite? Etc

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would allow her to come out, don't force her to step up to come out. And are you sure she bites you when she steps up? Birds use their beams like hands, all my bird will grab hold of me when stepping up, sometimes I receive an accidental nip in the process, but not a true bite. I would never advise to drop your arm or do anything that would cause her to fear you and ruin your relationship with her.

henpecked

Real Name
Richard
I'm not sure walking out after a bite is the best thing to do.Don't let her know or think that biting has some control over the situation.I try and not end an interaction on a bad note, if a new bird is striking at me when i approach the cage i don't leave until the bird is calm.When stepping up from the cage quickly put her where she wants to go( up to you to figure that out),maybe the cage top until she shows interest in going/doing something else.As soon as she steps up praise her as you're quickly putting her down. She's biting to say NO, before long her favorite thing to do is be with you and she's not going to bite you if she wants to be with you.I know it's tough and you've heard it before but try and learn to avoid the bites and at the same time teach her that you are to be trusted and her friend. Both you and her are learning about each other and try to see the world thru her eyes. Your doing great.

Status
Not open for further replies.