• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6 lovebirds, 1 hoarder, 2 survivors

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Awww @Beasley they are just adorable and I am so very happy for you that you now have a new birdie family :)
Thank you! I am pretty smitten :heart:

I hope they’re not too attached to that nest box because as soon as they’re done with it, I’m taking it away!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Well that was quite the turn of events! What a twist!

I´m so glad Asha and Posha are happy in their new home and their new mum is happy to have two hens.

And the family of lovebirds, wow they´re so cute. How are the parents with you? or have you just left them be so far. You will have better luck interacting once the nestbox has gone.

I am intrigued as to what that parent bird is? I can´t quite tell if s/he´s opaline or a PFxF´s hybird... I lean towards believing they are a hybrid because of all the grey (@expressmailtome any idea?)

What is the situation with the eggs? Were the rest DIS or infertile? or do you have more chicks?

I think that with the recent loss of Sneaky Pete, this is just what you needed to help you. Baby Bug. :loveshower:
Ps, Adelie plays on her back A LOT, I thought it was weird, my vet shrugged it off. But she started doing it now that once she´s older, not as a chick.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
The male is the sea green one, the hen is interesting to me too! She’s got a very light dusting of peach on her head and almost a purple hue to her body. I think Bug will ultimately look like her, s/he has touch of peach on the top of his/her head that is starting to come in in the last few days. I’m not sure if she’s a hybrid or not, but I did think hybrids were usually infertile.

I talk to them and they seem to be very friendly! I haven’t tried to press my luck with the hen/nest box in there but can handle the male! He doesn’t bite but is wiggly and mostly interested in getting back into the nest. I swapped the eggs out but they haven’t lost interest in them yet. I think they will both be just wonderful once they give up on the eggs and I can get that thing out of there.

Bug has been doing this back flop from day one, but only just learned how to roll over. S/he used to just roll back and lay there until I came and flipped him/her over. Idk if it’s playing but it doesn’t seem to bother him/her! I’m not too worried but getting the all clear from the doc never hurts! And especially after Pete, I’m a bit nervous about everything.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
the hen is interesting
She´s the one I was talking about. Peach faced lovebirds usually have the round face and no eye rings apart from opaline who have a sort of ¨mask¨if you will, but because the hen is a blue colour, her whole head (mask) should be white, so it´s weird that she is so grey there.

I did think hybrids were usually infertile.
There´s not a lot of information and this is the common thing. However I did come acros a table of hybrid birds and which were able to reproduce and not, I will see if I can find it again. I don´t know how trustworthy the source is.

And especially after Pete, I’m a bit nervous about everything.
I´m sure!

Are the parents good with the chick? I´m also assuming you will keep the chick?... :D

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The grey one is definitely an opaline. She seems to also have two dark factors. I forgot to say first that she is definitely not a hybrid as peach faced lovebird hybrids as sterile.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thankyou :) I have never seen an Opaline with such a grey head before. Very interesting.
That is because she is a blue series mutation. I am just not sure which one.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Bug is so cute!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
View attachment 312970 View attachment 312971
This is my little PFL family! The parents are currently called Babbo and Mamma, they’ve been attending to their chicks and I haven’t yet gotten to know their personalities much yet.

View attachment 312974
The chick is currently named Bug because of the very buggy way s/he is always on his/her back! We have another follow up next Friday due to this abnormal behavior, the AV is concerned about how quiet the chick is, and to monitor slight splayed leggedness. Bug is so small I could only do two blood tests; I opted for the PBFD and chlamydia tests, so DNA testing cannot be done for another few weeks to make sure his/her blood supply has had a chance to recuperate.

View attachment 312975
S/he is such a little love bug, Bug might just stick!
This is just precious.... I :heart: Bug!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Almost as soon as they came to live with me Bug was suddenly out of the nest. I don’t know if a chick leaves of their own accord that young, but I pulled him/her because I was worried they kicked Bug out since they did have the two eggs. They still are very friendly toward Bug and even the hen comes out of the nest to see and interact with him/her.

Hahaha! Oh but of course I’m keeping Bug! I’m hoping Bug can be Jules’ friend but I’m waiting out her hormonal hen issues first lol she has a truly lovely temperament and once she’s calmed back down I think they’ll be fast friends!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wanted to know if Asha would be happier in a household without other birds. Maybe being in that crowded aviary she grew up in traumatized her in a way I couldn’t heal with my flock around. I told her about the blanket and not to ever use a nest box. I explained Asha was skittish and would need time to come around, the nest box would only worsen her fear. Addy was happy to help them and to have someone take over the unexpected male and chick fiasco!

I want to say I hated to let them go, but Asha stopped plucking! She stopped fighting Posha completely and actually lets Addy stick her hands in the cage without disintegrating into a flurry of panic! Maybe she likes Addy more haha but maybe it was the dog, the birds, the noise and bustle of my house that Addy doesn’t have or want. I am positive that entering a calm and quiet house with a very sweet retired mom who wants and loves them exactly as they are made all the difference in the world.
Sometimes, a quiet home is the best home!

I have Merlin here with me and as great as his first mom did, she just couldn't provide the kind of home he needed. He's a green cheek conure and he was just so stressed out and on high alert that he couldn't calm down. She has large dogs, a cat and just overall an active family. Merlin is a skittish bird and all that activity wasn't doing him any good! I have a dog and cat as well, but I keep them separated from the birds. Merlin went from a bird that was pretty scared of any human interaction to coming up to the front of his cage or even climbing *OUT* of his cage to enjoy hands off interaction! Behaviors that he really didn't do before. (my fault for not helping him be more hands on, but I can see he'd be even better with a confident cheeky around!)

I had Jayde as well. Jayde came from another member here with quite a busy household, too! But probably because of all the other conures! Jayde was a red throated conure. She seemed to do really well in a calm household.

So it's great that Asha has had improvements when she found the *right* home for her! :) And the lovie family is gorgeous!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They still are very friendly toward Bug and even the hen comes out of the nest to see and interact with him/her.
If you open their cages at the same time, maybe they will stay like that, you never know :)
A couple of my little ones just turned 1 year old the other day and I posted a thread dedicated to their family and how they still are tight.
The Blue Team | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

:yes4: I´m glad Bug is staying, we want regular updates!!!!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Oh yes there will definitely be updates! I hope they do stay friendly with each other, I’d love to be able to let all four of them out together and have them play and fly as a flock. It’s going to be so exciting to see how Jules and Bug do together! Bug is still in the incubator for at least the next week and is down to accepting formula only once a day. S/he is doing great eating seeds and pellets and millet sprays. I am just loving Bug’s bright orange chick beak :heart:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Just reached to mindlessly pet Bug and grabbed a leg? This chick is so weird :p I love it!

1FC0BA99-E94A-4B5C-9C1A-8148CE4C4C41.jpeg
*Please excuse my hairy blanket lol my dog is going to be bald if he keeps shedding like this...

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
OMG the little sounds!!!!❤❤❤❤❤

And that pic is creepy :lol: I don´t know why... jsut the claw like foot :laugh:

Do you know why she had a little bald patch? Has the feathers grown in now?

I love her mutation. The dark factors make her so beautiful!!❤