• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6 lovebirds, 1 hoarder, 2 survivors

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
In April a post on Craigslist lead me to a hoarder (H) downsizing his out of control colony of lovebirds. When we first met H had pulled some into cages, hiding the rest beneath tarps. Eventually he agreed to show me his colony of more than six huge aviaries so packed with birds they couldn’t fly and everything inside was caked in generations of feces.

I bought four (all I had cash for) and took them straight to the vet, one died that night. I couldn’t sleep, I kept thinking of those poor birds. My vet fund wasn’t in great shape but I could afford it. I couldn’t let it go.

I went back the next day. H was combative, a bit scary. He knew one had passed and three were in the AV being treated for severe respiratory infections among other ailments. He wouldn’t budge past two so I brought two more straight to the vet. Again one was so ill he didn’t make it through the night. He passed after multiple seizures.

My four remaining were my little warriors. They survived 15 days of ICU, antibiotics, oxygen and heat. I got the ok to bring them home into my QT room. They were skittish but warming up to me. I named one pair Crash and Fadeaway. Crash was a violet and Fade a blue pied, all are masked/Fischer’s lovebirds.

11 May, my sweet Crash (so named for her terrible and frightening flying ability) began exhibiting some strange neurological symptoms. I called my vet in a panic and found out they only have the exotic vet one day a week. I scheduled their soonest appointment, 14 May and at my request was referred to an on call AV (my new AV) she listened to Crash and her symptoms and said it was likely an ear infection, I already had pulled her into a hospital cage with a heat pad. AV said to monitor her and she’d meet me at the hospital (an hour’s drive away) ASAP if it got worse.

The next day the symptoms subsided, Crash seemed to be getting better and the 14th vet visit seemed less irrational. But then I came home on the 13th to find her on her back with Fade sitting on her head (!?) I was prepared this time, I called “All Animals Vet” to advise them we were OTW and why, only to be told their AV is actually only there X days a week (unbelievable) I was given a bunch of phone numbers I had to write on the back of a random receipt while driving.

Thank God the first call I made hit the mark; 15m or less, they will be ready and waiting. I drove us there (somehow) trying to decipher the pen-ran-out-of-ink address while holding onto Crash in her box as she seized violently. I ran inside and handed her over, she was immediately passed to the vet and ran into the back.

While I was filling out the paperwork the front desk tech answered a call and said “No, I’m sorry we don’t see cats or dogs here.” The comfort of hearing those words cannot be expressed. Minutes later Crash had had another seizure. The AV came in and amazingly was the exact person I’d spoken with when this all began! They have a location 5m away! She watched my videos showing Crash’s symptoms. After, as I was reviewing the nearly $2000 treatment plan, Crash passed away peacefully and while sedated. They made me a little clay heart with her footprints and I bought her home in an entirely different box.

That day was gut wrenching. We think the violet/blue lovebirds must be inbred and genetically unstable. Fade and one of my remaining pair were violet/blues. Their 45 day mark passed. I moved Fade into my bedroom to bond and so he wouldn’t get lonely. A few days ago Fade passed away in the night. He was curious and bold, sweet and seemed to know that I loved him, although he was still very hand-shy.

These last few days have been miserable. I had poured so much into Fade; my love for Crash, the grief we shared. He’d started singing and chattering in my presence! He began picking up and dropping the doors of his cage, asking to be let out. Without having to fear being hunted down and caught, he was learning how to fly.

Through all of this I kept an eye on Craigslist. The hoarder is still posting, at least in pictures the birds look less crowded. I’ve thought about confronting him and/or reporting him, but I know how dangerous involving the authorities can be. Even with the stinging losses and vet costs, I have to resist going back for more. All of them deserve a chance at life, proper veterinary care, and to be loved. Fade’s cage sits empty in my room.

I never managed to name my two surviving rescue lovebirds, and now I find myself afraid to, as if by naming them I will risk losing them. They came from a horrific environment, their health is likely to be less than optimal and I accept that. All I can do is love and care for them, hopefully for a very long and healthy life together. Maybe AA can help me shake the superstition and name these two beautiful survivors!

Thank you for reading our long and sad story. The pain of losing two so quickly, and then Crash and Fadeaway after so long is raw and the experience fraught with hard learned lessons. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

57438334-412D-4062-8B3C-3CB1298FBF5D.jpeg
First Four 4E63C4FC-2498-4240-BA30-D0F0540E4143.jpeg 1B76CB78-1AE3-4E40-BD99-332451D5A817.jpeg
Then three, Crash & my survivors DC6BB32B-B829-445B-A183-815E62EA9BB0.jpeg 5B1A4C9C-76C8-4350-BA0C-F00468A1FAB7.jpeg
RIP Crash and Fadeaway, you brought so much laughter and love into my life. I miss you both. 72493CAE-E6EC-47B4-ADA2-F01013E85407.jpeg
And my two titans. The violet is very shy, quiet and reserved; she mostly hides. The Fischer’s is rowdy and silly and curious about me. He’s also quite dedicated to breaking out of his cage and weirdly, the two of them fly very well. I sometimes wonder if they were in a less crammed aviary and had room to learn. Maybe that also explains their apparent good health. So far I’ve been calling them baby boy/girl and whenever I catch him trying to escape, Loki ❤

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
This is so heartbreaking to read. Thank you for trying to save them. For the survivors, their misery now has ended and now their lives will be filled with love and happiness!

Forgive my English if it’s a little strange. It’s not my first language.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
This is so heartbreaking to read. Thank you for trying to save them. For the survivors, their misery now has ended and now their lives will be filled with love and happiness!

Forgive my English if it’s a little strange. It’s not my first language.
Thank you! Watching them learn what toys are and seeing them realize this goofy mom lady loves them is the true reward for me ❤ I am so hoping that their health continues to be strong so that I can give them a long life, full of love and happiness! :heart:

Hey your English is pretty good :), it’s not my first language either ;) pronunciation is still sticky for me!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh what a heartbreaking story and situation those birds were in.

I’m sorry to hear of your losses but so very pleased to hear you have been able to give these guys a much better chance for survival, care and love.

I hope the two you still have continue to be healthy and grow more and more attached to your loving care :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Well that was a really sad read. So much loss and pain. I don´t even want to know how many birds that guy has :(
You are very strong to take in all the littles, especially after the baby budgies.

I´m so happy to hear that two birds are ok! I´m positive they will live happy and love filled lives with you ❤

So far I’ve been calling them baby boy/girl
Reminds me of birdbox :(
Maybe we can think up some strong warrior names for these birds! Are they sexed? How old are they?
Oscar would be a good strong name for a male.

Bellona for a female (Meaning of Bellona: Derived from Latin bellare meaning “to fight”. This was the name of the Roman goddess of war, a companion of Mars.)

The Fischer’s is rowdy and silly and curious about me.
He´s not fischer´s.
In the last picture, the blue bird looks to be a hybrid of Personatus / Fischeri.
The Normal (green) bird is Personatus.

it’s not my first language either
What is your first language? I would never have guessed it wasn´t English!

I am so hoping that their health continues to be strong so that I can give them a long life, full of love and happiness! :heart:
I wish this too!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm not eloquent enough to express myself very well in situations like this, but you are an incredibly strong and empathetic person and I also thank you for helping as many as you could. I hate to think how many more he has and that I'm sure he's not the only one. :( I know it's mental illness that causes this, but it makes me so sad to see any animals suffer as a result.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
So sad to hear about that. Thank you for helping the ones you could. These situations are heart breaking. Maybe these people want to make a business out of it. But what these people think is so wrong and stupid,. If they just cared for there birds and even if they were breeding them if only they properly cared for them they would be very successful too.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's heartbreaking. Thank you for taking care of these little ones and fighting so hard to get them the care that they deserve. You are an incredibly kind, open hearted person - a true friend to the birds.

Perhaps you could talk about the situation with the vet. They may have ideas about how to tackle the hoarder. Sadly, I doubt this is the first time they'll have helped deal with the mess left by hoarding, indiscriminate breeding and poor husbandry.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wow. Both heartbreaking and heart warming. It breaks my heart to think of all the lovies, to read of your losses, and to think of people like the hoarder. But warms my heart that there are people out there like you that go to great lengths to help birds in need.

I would consider calling the authorities. I know at least here, animal control turns all seized animals over to our local rescue where they are treated for their illnesses, etc and then adopted out or in some cases, like a recent hoarding situation we just had, taken to a sanctuary. Maybe check and see what the process where you are is?

And big hugs to you.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
You are a strong person and have a kind heart. I'm sorry you had to go through this, I know Crash and Fadeaway had a better life with you.

If it were me, I'd definitely would be reporting this person as it is just cruel and making a buck selling unhealthy birds.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
You are very strong to take in all the littles, especially after the baby budgies.

I´m so happy to hear that two birds are ok! I´m positive they will live happy and love filled lives with you ❤
Thank you! I like to think my budgie chicks were the catalyst for this, my little angels guiding me toward birds in need. His pictures were alarming but once I saw their living conditions...I’ve never seen anything like that in my life. I’ve been in my fair share of hoarder nests but this was strictly animal hoarding and only outside, but he did seem to have his own living quarters in the house and it took awhile for him to come out so maybe where he lives is a nightmare too.

Reminds me of birdbox :(
I had to look that up but wow! That is a perfect analogy and I imagine they were named Boy/Girl for similar reasons.
Maybe we can think up some strong warrior names for these birds! Are they sexed? How old are they?
Oscar would be a good strong name for a male.

Bellona for a female (Meaning of Bellona: Derived from Latin bellare meaning “to fight”. This was the name of the Roman goddess of war, a companion of Mars.)
Oh I really like Oscar! Bellona too, my bell-a/ina/issima pet names might be confusing though...
He´s not fischer´s.
In the last picture, the blue bird looks to be a hybrid of Personatus / Fischeri.
The Normal (green) bird is Personatus.
. BAHA! I thought he was a yellow collared! You’re amazing! How can you tell the blue one is a hybrid? I’d love to be better at telling the difference!
What is your first language? I would never have guessed it wasn´t English!
Well thank you! Next time I ask someone where to find sh!ts instead of sheets, I’ll try remember that hehe ;) my first language is Italian but I have been in the states most of my life. Some words still get me though, especially borrowed words in the American accent..After learning doppio is said dopey-yo here I decided to brew my own espresso.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
my bell-a/ina/issima pet names might be confusing though...
lol Me and my man call all of our birds Pajarito ;)

How can you tell the blue one is a hybrid?
His face looks like neither or both species. Blue Personatus look like Aoife (@Leih ) Jet black mask. Blue Fisheri don´t have a black brow.

I ask someone where to find sh!ts instead of sheets
hehehe My boyfriend tried to tell his friend over the phone that he couldn´t (xyz) ..... ¨I Can´t (xyz)¨ The pronunciation made it a very explicit word so I pulled him up on it! We also have issues going to the beach ;)

.After learning doppio is said dopey-yo
I don´t know what that is. Must be an American thing?

I cringe when I speak Spanish and have to mispronounce English words. But if I pronounce them correctly, noone would understand me.....

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I hate to think how many more he has and that I'm sure he's not the only one. :( I know it's mental illness that causes this, but it makes me so sad to see any animals suffer as a result.
he’s advertising a discount if you take more than four, seeing that makes me sick to my stomach with worry. The mental illness is the one thing that stops me. I know they would take the animals and punish him. He needs help. Without treatment there is nothing to stop him from starting over, in fact the trauma of having his hoard forcibly removed from him all but guarantees he would start over.

Maybe these people want to make a business out of it.
and that’s where I get scared. He’s being positively rewarded financially for hoarding and abusing hundreds upon hundreds of parrots. Reinforcing hoarding behavior is the last thing I want to be responsible for! Knowing that within him is the infinite potential for repeatedly hoarding animals makes me feel like there are no good options.

You are an incredibly kind, open hearted person - a true friend to the birds.
Thank you! A true friend to the birds is an honorable title!
Perhaps you could talk about the situation with the vet. They may have ideas about how to tackle the hoarder. Sadly, I doubt this is the first time they'll have helped deal with the mess left by hoarding,
. I never thought of that! She probably thinks I’m crazy because she knows they came from a hoarding situation but I haven’t asked her how to help everyone out of this mess. Maybe she’s a mandatory reporter and thinks I haven’t told her to protect him? I don’t want to “protect” the guy, I just don’t want to traumatize him and send him on a loop. That would just endanger more animals and possibly in even poorer conditions.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
The violet is also personatus, right? Just a violet mutation.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
he’s advertising a discount if you take more than four, seeing that makes me sick to my stomach with worry. The mental illness is the one thing that stops me. I know they would take the animals and punish him. He needs help. Without treatment there is nothing to stop him from starting over, in fact the trauma of having his hoard forcibly removed from him all but guarantees he would start over.

and that’s where I get scared. He’s being positively rewarded financially for hoarding and abusing hundreds upon hundreds of parrots. Reinforcing hoarding behavior is the last thing I want to be responsible for! Knowing that within him is the infinite potential for repeatedly hoarding animals makes me feel like there are no good options.

Thank you! A true friend to the birds is an honorable title!
. I never thought of that! She probably thinks I’m crazy because she knows they came from a hoarding situation but I haven’t asked her how to help everyone out of this mess. Maybe she’s a mandatory reporter and thinks I haven’t told her to protect him? I don’t want to “protect” the guy, I just don’t want to traumatize him and send him on a loop. That would just endanger more animals and possibly in even poorer conditions.
Or perhaps this is part of him getting help, hoarders have to eventually get rid of the hoarde as part of the recovery. He definitely shouldn't be charging and making money off of birds whose health he has compromised, however.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
And I agree about asking the vet. I think having an agency that can just take them and see to their health rather than putting that financial (and emotional) burden on someone else is the best route. They can rehab and then put up for adoption.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The violet is also personatus, right? Just a violet mutation.
It apears in Roseicollis too, Aldora has a violet factor.

Or perhaps this is part of him getting help, hoarders have to eventually get rid of the hoarde as part of the recovery. He definitely shouldn't be charging and making money off of birds whose health he has compromised, however.
If he has stopped allowing these birds to breed then I could possibly believe that... If he is actively allowing them to breed he could just be putting on a sob story or he really is suffering an illness and is not on the road to recovery yet.

I agree with @tka , speak with your vet, see what they have to say about this :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's not your role to guess whether reporting him will traumatise him, try to predict what his future actions will be, or to make judgements about whether he has a mental illness or not. That's for the professionals to assess and trust me, they will have dealt with hoarders before. Please don't try to make these judgements yourself: for a start, you've only interacted with him briefly and cannot have full knowledge of his situation.

Coming across hoarding is shocking and your priority was the birds that you had. Now that the survivors are more stable, you can start to consider the others still with this hoarder. I'm sure your vet doesn't think you're crazy - only that you needed some time to decide how to approach the whole situation.

I don't know what the legislation is like in your country, but in the UK, people convicted of animal cruelty can be banned from keeping animals - either for a fixed term (e.g. five or ten years) or for life.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for rescuing the lovebirds. Sorry for the losses. Good that two have survived. Try not to stress out regarding naming them and just do it when you feel comfortable with that. You've done a very good thing getting those poor birds out of that hoarding situation.