• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG Grandma is Holding BEAUTIES!!!

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Is one of birds like Beaks?
They look almost identical, with the markings on their faces, but Mustache's (Beaks) get peachy feathering on their chest. Derbyans (JJ-at Grandma's house) are bluish on their chest and are larger birds. Derbyans, from what I've read, are supposed to be good talkers. My friend says he fake coughs and sneezes and talks up a storm.:xflove:

Rolanda

after cleaning Bebe's cage I learn a few things. after knocking the big chunks off, I hit everything with the hottest water possible and Dawn Dish soap. I tried to let everything soak about 15-20 minutes, scrubbed with 3M scrubbies, then rinsed with more hot water. if you can take the birds out of the cages even better, use the driveway to scrub everything from top to bottom.
That will be my strategy. Thanks for the advice!:D:dance4:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I use a large plastic washing machine overflow tray (hubby bought to control food being flung by Secret).

I take that plastic tray to driveway and soak the bottom grill in there when it gets bad. You can pick those up at any home depot store and I'm looking at Wal-Mart on computer and they show one for $17.93.

Hinkismom

Moving in
Real Name
Mary
The good part about the dogs is that they all got adopted right away. She has one now that she's happy with. Honestly they were too much, but, yes SAD. I think they didn't take the birds because they are not as easy to rehome. She loves her feathered buddies. I figure helping out can't hurt. I don't have a grandma.
Awww, I love it that you've adopted those birdies AND their grandma! They'll all be better off for it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Rolanda Don't forget to update us as to haw the weekend goes - Please.

Rolanda

I will updated you all and take pictures! I went through my boys stuff and now have a good sized box of toys and a gallon zip lock of foot toys for them... anything that was too big for mine. I went by my Starbucks and loaded up on newspaper this morning. Jees, I don't even know if they know how to play. Oh Well.:xflove:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I will updated you all and take pictures! I went through my boys stuff and now have a good sized box of toys and a gallon zip lock of foot toys for them... anything that was too big for mine. I went by my Starbucks and loaded up on newspaper this morning. Jees, I don't even know if they know how to play. Oh Well.:xflove:
Good job gathering supplies. You can always try and teach them to play.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Bless you, bless you!

Rolanda

I know I need to be mindful of the fact that they don't know me. I don't want to get the Holy He** bitten out of me either!
I know me and I'll probably be getting them some things at the Bird Store later. Life ran a little short this week. I can always leave the toys (if they are afraid of them) and Grandma can try them with them.
I found out yesterday that she is afraid to take them out (has been for a while-years maybe) because they are fully flighted. I don't know what to do with that one... I guess I'll figure out how I'll clean the cages when I get there.:confused:

Last edited:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thank you so very much! Dr. O did a study with Lafeber about the elderly and birds. At the nursing homes, it gave them something to look forward to. I think this is an amazing thing for Grandma and the birds. You can send this story to the closest rescue and see if they have larger or better cages to donate. You might find extra help as well. Big squeezy hugs to you!

Rolanda

Thank you so very much! Dr. O did a study with Lafeber about the elderly and birds. At the nursing homes, it gave them something to look forward to. I think this is an amazing thing for Grandma and the birds. You can send this story to the closest rescue and see if they have larger or better cages to donate. You might find extra help as well. Big squeezy hugs to you!
I'll give our closest rescue a call next week about cages, and/or help if I need it. That's a good idea. I'm hoping that I can handle it. I'm now starting to freak out a little and hope I haven't gotten in over my head. Best laid plans of Mice and Men... and all that. I truly want to help, sometimes I forget my limitations... I'm only human, RIGHT?:lol:
I'm OK, I''m OK!

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@Rolanda

No worries. Do you have a travel cage they will fit in? If so, set travel cage in the large cage with treats/foods and then close door once they're in it. Grandma can have an assignment......keep them calm while their cage is being cleaned. Then grandma can have another assignment to calm them once they're back in a clean cage.

This is all IF they are in a room they can't get out of, of course.

Rolanda

@Rolanda

No worries. Do you have a travel cage they will fit in? If so, set travel cage in the large cage with treats/foods and then close door once they're in it. Grandma can have an assignment......keep them calm while their cage is being cleaned. Then grandma can have another assignment to calm them once they're back in a clean cage.

This is all IF they are in a room they can't get out of, of course.

I have a Travel Cage... I'll take it with me since now I know they are flighted.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
This is great of you to help ..best of luck with your cleaning and everything :hug8:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You also may want to ask her if she would like a plan in place in case something happens for both of you so you aren't worried. Also contact parrot angels as I imagine she would qualify for toys for the babies. Make a list too if what you think they need and let us know.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I like to knock off the big chunks, then spray with the hose attachment that shoots water like a power washer, then spray with vinegar and let set. Then after a little while I use dish soap, sponge and elbow grease.
I am not a fan of clipping birds wings but in this situation you may want to ask if she wants you to trim them.

Hinkismom

Moving in
Real Name
Mary
after cleaning Bebe's cage I learn a few things. after knocking the big chunks off, I hit everything with the hottest water possible and Dawn Dish soap. I tried to let everything soak about 15-20 minutes, scrubbed with 3M scrubbies, then rinsed with more hot water. if you can take the birds out of the cages even better, use the driveway to scrub everything from top to bottom.
And water from a garden hose if you have one available to rinse everything off.

Rolanda

I stopped by my Bird Store on the way from work and got a large tub of Nutriberries, a toy or two and looked at perches. (I don't know what I bought but I spent $75! I HATE that!) I know they get seed and... kind of whatever Grandma eats, so I thought the Nutriberries might be well liked and add some vitamins for them. I'm sure she'll use them as a special treat when they are good :xflove:.
I'll need to measure the cages for perches. I'm sure they've been on the same ones, in the same position forever.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh my goodness what a wonderful thing you are doing. Are you going to spritz the birds also or would that be too much for them? There are nutriberries for senior birds that are great. Can you take more photos? Also try to keep a journal of this adventure.

Rolanda

You also may want to ask her if she would like a plan in place in case something happens of you so you aren't worried. Also contact parrot angels as I imagine she would qualify for toys for the babies. Make a list too if what you think they need and let us know.
What I thought of doing was kind of picking her brain on each and writing each bird's History and making sure my coworker puts them somewhere safe. Along with that, you're right, someone should talk to her about what she would like to happen with them in the case of the inevitable. Not something I can bring up the first time I meet her though.