• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG Grandma is Holding BEAUTIES!!!

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Oh my goodness what a wonderful thing you are doing. Are you going to spritz the birds also or would that be too much for them? There are nutriberries for senior birds that are great. Can you take more photos? Also try to keep a journal of this adventure.
I'm not even sure how old the birds are. My friend said she can remember them being around 5 years... at least. That's not really that long so they may not be very old. I'll see tomorrow. Yes, I plan on taking lots of pictures. I'm told she is really happy that someone is coming to see her and her birds. Me bringing them toys is a surprise. My friend said she'll probably cry. I think she's excited for someone to appreciate them. It sounds like she may be getting a lot of flack from her family about them. I will appreciate them and hopefully add some much needed help, cleaning and fun for all FOUR of them.:heart::xflove: Who can resist a Feisty Grandma with Big Birds?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Way to go!!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
along with getting some type history of these birds, make sure to get their likes and dislikes also. I wish I had done that with Bebe. write down everything possible or tape it and type it later. if you can get band numbers and letters for each bird. we can help you look them up, it will give you a idea of their ages. good luck tomorrow, can't wait to hear about it.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'll give our closest rescue a call next week about cages, and/or help if I need it. That's a good idea. I'm hoping that I can handle it. I'm now starting to freak out a little and hope I haven't gotten in over my head. Best laid plans of Mice and Men... and all that. I truly want to help, sometimes I forget my limitations... I'm only human, RIGHT?:lol:
I'm OK, I''m OK!

Just do what you can. Anything you do for them will be a help. :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love on granny for us

Rolanda

Got back from Grandmas, showered and now having lunch...
All in All it wasn't bad. Grandma was very sweet. Feisty and sweet. LOL She had cleaned the cages.
So her set-up was only a grate in the Muloccan's cage and she puts paper on top of the grate... so there was no poop on anything really. Even the perches (as they were) were clean. The M2 has been with her the longest at about 10 years. The cage and its few hanging items are rusty; the cage mostly at the bottom. However her cage is HUGE. The angle I had the pic of was from the side. If I were standing looking at the front it would be a good outstretched body and arm length. Not an aviary, but I think the size is OK for her. This bird was the big screamer, however I think I troubleshot the problem for all of their noise. They want attention. When they are getting the attention they do not make noise. The M2 has been with Grandma the longest so I think she is the most bonded and REALLY craves the attention. Could also be that M2's are just louder than Derbyans & S2's I don't know much about the breeds. In the short time I was there she took a liking to me and wanted me to per her and liked me rubbing her feet. She was frantically grabbing for me when I backed away from the cage.

The S2- Sweet baby, Loved attention, again, partially rusted cage... paper at the bottom. She really likes anything I brought to her. She was intrigued from the first foot toy and watched my every move. I was more leery of hr because she has a more ... I don't know how to explain t. Her stare made me more wary but she was interested in my every move. She enjoyed when I went over and talked to her and called her a 'Pretty Girl'... she danced and said Hello... She also really liked the foot toys that were individual rounds of wood and beads in a row with rope holding them together.

The Derbyan-LOVED the Nutriberries. He ate two from my hand and I put two more in his bowl. I placed a toy in each bird cage. He destroyed his before I left. He was like a Mad Man (bird) he LOVED it. I've never seen a bird tear into a toy like that. He was in birdy shredding Heaven. When he finished he got some water, went to his bowl and got another nutriberry, preened, then got all fluffy and looked like he was going to take a nap!:xflove: I'll tell you, anyone who has not seen a Derbyan up close... They are Such beautiful birds. I would put them on the list with Lori's. They are not as bright, but the colors on them are Magnificent. (okay, maybe I'm biased because they look a lot like Mustache Parrots, like my Beaks) He was stunning!

The paper at the bottom of the cage. Grandma kept saying "Don't worry about it, she'll get it later" about whatever a bird would drop. She said they make her mad because they rummage through the papers on the floor for things. I think they could be trying to entertain themselves. This just concerns be because they are rummaging through their poop!

Their daily diet is Sunflower seeds. I bought her the large tub of Nutriberries like I said. I will take my friend to the bird store to look for a large bag of something with other things besides sunflower seeds. I talked to Grandma about Fruits and vegetables, she didn't know they could eat them. I'll print our Can/Can't eat list for her. I think this will work out well for her because money is an issue. She can share her fruits & veggies with them and there will be no waste. Veggie Omelettes all around... everyone is happy. She was also interested in Bird Bread. Bird Bread can be cheap to make. Throw in the veggies you have, some coconut oil...the crumbled pieces of Nutriberries from the bottom of the container... Plus it's good for them.

From the time I got there with toys Grandma kept commenting on how quiet they were. They always scream, they are NEVER this quiet! They are good Birds. She just has to work on a way to give them attention as she is more frail now. She needs help. My friend is going to take her to get their nails and wings clipped. A couple of weeks ago her S2 flew away and she spent 4 days looking for her. She ended up climbing on a neighbor's roof to a tree to get her. The nails on them are too long for her to be able to pick them up like she used to. Her Pet Store closed over a year ago and she doesn't know where another is. So no trimmed nails. Yes we are against clipping wings but she cannot take care of them with long nails and flying away.
It was a great experience and I look forward to being able to educate her (without her knowing of course:xflove:), in order to improve the birds lives. They are all very sweet. I think they like me, they know I come with goodies.:hehe:. I'll be making T4W Flatbread Fusion this week and sharing with them.
I'll be visiting again soon.
I really appreciate your support! It means a lot.

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:heart:
Thank you for sharing that. Such a good feeling story to read.
You are very kind and generous.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:thankyou:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Rolanda

My zons eat roudybush and zupreem. I buy the monkey biscuits for them and they hold and chew.... kind of like a treat but it's the same ingredients as zupreem that I aware of. Does your pet store carry these?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks for helping her and her birds :heart:

As for M2 yes they are very loud! :laugh: And my M2 Zane like to go to the bottom of his cage sometimes. Usually when he's hormonal. He love to dig in his news papers then :rolleyes:

You might want to talk about baths and spraying her birds. Especially since with two Toos it can help with the dust :)

She sounds like such a character!! I can only hope to still take care of my birds when I'm her age! :) it's wonderful she has you to help her
:hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Sounds like a great visit! The birds liked you, liked the toys and treats and Granny will learn from you. This is so great and I hope you can continue to visit and help. :hug8:
Yes I would get some decent pellets on the list. :)

Rolanda

Since they are Sunflower seed birds I would not just give them Roudybush because 1) they have never had a pellet and 2) she could not afford it. So I'm trying to strike a medium with finding a staple that has other seeds/nuts and some veggies/fruits in it. For the moment I feel good that I gave them Nutriberries and they didn't completely reject them. Maybe I could find a mix like I mention above and have my friend buy Grandma Roudybush or Nutriberries to mix in.
I do a lot of mixing for my boys on a daily basis. In the morning, before work, they get high quality pellet, a little seed, dried chop/veggies/fruit mix, a few nuts and two or three nutriberry/pelletberry. after work they get fresh... veg, fruit, chop,,, sometimes egg, bird bread... I feel variety will help get them a better rounded diet, plus they'll be not so picky. Though mine still hate RPO...:hehe:

I may have to just get the parts and make a mix for her.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Rolanda Sounds like you had a good visit with her. The birds will greatly benefit from your visits. The food/ costs can be a problem, but almost anything is better than sunflower seeds all of the time. The monkey bisquits are a good idea - Sarahs's Rosie ate monkey bisquits for most of her life (76 years) and she's still in good health. Zupreem sells them for $3+ per pound. And Grandma can share some of her foods with them too. Like you said bird bread is cheap and can be doctored up with frozen mixed vegetables and fruits and nuts.

I'm so proud of you. I'm no spring chicken myself and it's not always easy.

Rolanda

@Rolanda Sounds like you had a good visit with her. The birds will greatly benefit from your visits. The food/ costs can be a problem, but almost anything is better than sunflower seeds all of the time. The monkey bisquits are a good idea - Sarahs's Rosie ate monkey bisquits for most of her life (76 years) and she's still in good health. Zupreem sells them for $3+ per pound. And Grandma can share some of her foods with them too. Like you said bird bread is cheap and can be doctored up with frozen mixed vegetables and fruits and nuts.

I'm so proud of you. I'm no spring chicken myself and it's not always easy.

Thanks so much Mary Lynn, I know she loves them to death. She's doing what she knows... birds eat seeds, that's what she knows so shes trying to provide the best she can for them. She noted how even the sunflower seeds are getting expensive. It doesn't have to be horribly expensive. Maybe just give them some of the veggies you have for dinner. She just doesn't know. I look forward to helping her. She's sad that she can't have her M2 on her shoulder/arm anymore. All she needs is for someone to care enough to take her to get her clipped, then they can spend more time together like they used to. My friend said she will take her. I will get some Monkey biscuits... I didn't think they were OK, reallyy. I'd seen them given to birds but ... they still sell all sunflower seeds too. Saw some at the bird store yesterday. When I told her bout the Bird Bread she was REALLY interested. I told her corn meal, egg, frozen vegetables and coconut oil... maybe some shelled seeds and/or crunch up some of these (nutriberries) and that's about it. I'll get her a few easy recipes.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Monkey biscuits used to be a staple food back in the old days. I remember making handfeeding formula with monkey biscuits as the base.

Kudos on your visit. You brought them joy and hope. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Sounds like a wonderful visit.

Rolanda

The M2 liked me the most. Toward the end of my visit I was more comfortable going close to her. She wanted me to pet her feathers, which I did. When I stopped she gave her little foot grabbing for me through the bars. I took her foot and rubbed her toes and her foot. She just sat there. Then she let me pet her beak then she mouthed (beaked) my finger and ran her tongue on it... no bites. I was ready for it. The whole time I was quietly talking to her and calling her name and telling her what a sweet, pretty and good girl she was.:hug8:
SCREAMING-That M2 cam SCREAM. BUT, I found out that Grandma goes to them, in the garage when they scream (to tell them to stop). When I turned away from her, she screamed so,I turned my back to her. She stopped and I went back to her. When she started screaming I turned my back. I did it about 8 times and she was starting to get it, she'd scream, then stop and look at me, then scream then look at me. Such a smart little Booger!:elefant:

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope grandma picked up on that. ;)