1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG Grandma is Holding BEAUTIES!!!

Discussion in 'The Airport' started by Rolanda, 5/22/17.

1. Rolanda

Rolanda Rollerblading along the road

Do you now where I can get the holders for 2x4's for the cages? I've never seen those. I think they would help her lot. Now they are just pushed through the bars and hanging out. I'll look into getting her some more 2x4's as well, she's overdue- I think only two of them have the whole piece left. I really want to splurge and get them some natural perches for them, but that would be LATER in my budget. :cautious:

2. aooratrix

aooratrix Macawaholic Super Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Matthew
    faislaq and Rolanda like this.
  3. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Those brackets are really pricey. They are very common in the construction industry and you should be able to find them at Lowes or Home Depot or any lumber yard. Just make sure they aren't galvanized. You can attach them with a bar with holes in them (use them all of the time).

Rolanda likes this.
  4. Rolanda

Good Item but, UUGGHH! Not Cheap! But I will look at Home Depot.:)
    THANK YOU!

5. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    I can get them through one of my distributors for $16.40 but I have to do a minimum order of $150 I believe.

Clueless likes this.
  6. Rolanda

Hi all!
    I finally got over to Grandma's. My friend was dragging her feet, moved...blah, blah, so I had her call and Adam & I went over on our own. We took the mixed food and all of the toys.
    Everyone was happy and glad to see me. I think they have learned that I am the Toy Lady. They like the attention and the Toys. Everyone ran right over and chewed on their new stuff. The M2, Mariah, was shunning me for some reason. So when I put a toy in for her she made it known that she was ignoring me. But as soon as I was away from the cage she ran over to play with it. LOL. JJ The Derbyan LOVES Chippy Wood! I put some and some leather pieces on a skewer... He was RIGHT ON IT... Carried pieces to other parts of the cage to chip, pulled dropped pieces out of his water bowl to chip again... LOL. He seemed to like the shredding taco I made him... went to the chippy wood first!
    I gave the S2 a TNT toy (sorry, can't remember the name) I bought a long time ago. I am sure she will like it. They both (both Too's) got the Pretty decorated spoons.

Looking for Advice:The S2 has a small sore on her foot. It's red and looks like the skin is irritated. it's on the bottom where the toes connect (one toe). I know nothing about Bird First Aid. It's not HORRIBLE. If it were my child I'd put Neosporin and a band Aid on it. It should have some attention. I pointed it out to her and she was concerned.
    As always Grandma was SO thankful for the toys and the time I took to come and see them:heart::heart: I told her that people on my Bird Forum had donated toys, and I told her which ones. I told her that you all were interested in her birds and that I updated you.

Below are pics of everyone:

20170812_090851.jpg 20170812_090902.jpg 20170812_090950.jpg 20170812_091909.jpg

Last edited: 8/12/17
    Distaff, DQTimnehs, Clueless and 7 others like this.
  7. Rolanda

Sorry Guys, I just Edited/Completed the post.

Newbie GCC likes this.
  8. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Elaine
    Every one looks so cute. Including Grandma and Alex. Thanks for the update and the pictures.

What kind of perches does the S2 have. He/she may need softer perches for a while, like rope perches.

Maybe you should get Grandma's number (if that would be ok with Grandma) so you can call her yourself when you are able to go over.

Clueless, Rolanda and faislaq like this.
  9. Rolanda

Yes, I do have her phone number now. She has a 2x4 and a portion of a wooden perch along with what looks like a perch stand that is affixed in her cage. The actual perch parts look like some kind of molded plastic, maybe. they are smooth but thick and thin. Some softer perches are a good idea. Maybe a big platform. Also hopefully someone has a suggestion for a topical for her maybe.

Clueless and faislaq like this.
  10. Clueless

Clueless Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

@Macawnutz any suggestions for her?

I'm thinking a softer rope perch right now would be beneficial. If a smaller length (cheaper) you could put it higher and in a corner.

Rolanda and faislaq like this.
  11. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    For the topical I would use coconut oil and change out the perches. It's going to be too small or too thick diameter perches causing the issue. Rope perches, platform perches and a few new wood perches should solve the issue.

12. Rolanda

I'll get her rope and natural wood perch (one each) and some Coconut oil on Friday.
    Thank You for your input.:grouphug2:

Clueless, faislaq and Peachfaced like this.
  13. WendyN

WendyN Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Wendy
    @Rolanda
    Adam is a handsome young fellow!
    Does he like the big birds?

Rolanda likes this.
  14. Rolanda

@WendyN Thank You for the compliment.:xflove:
    He does like the big birds. He wants to interact with them, but he has to be very aware that they can be more dangerous than ours. I try to facilitate him being able to play with them a little. The Toos put their feet up and I rub them, they stay there for a minute or so, I let him rub along with me. I'm making sure that he has a healthy respect for them, they are not our pets and he cant treat them like they are; he could get hurt. The S2 will grab your finger and pull it in to bite in a second.
    He was really happy with this last visit. He said that it felt good to go and help Grandma J. with her bird. He said "That's one thing I got from you, mom, my compassion. It feels good to help people. Did you see how happy Grandma J was? She thanked us a lot."
    So for him (not that everything is a lesson, but when they're young I feel like almost everything is a learning opportunity;)) he's learning to not run in and stick your hands at animals that aren't yours because you CAN get hurt, and to help people when you can... it makes you feel good.

15. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Sadie
    Kind of a random question, but is Grandma J able to bathe the birds? I'm wondering if it's been a long time since they've had a good shower.

Rolanda likes this.
  16. Rolanda

It probably HAS been a long time. I'm trying to remember if she has mentioned them and water. I don't think she has. You're right! Oh my! Since she doesn't take them out anymore that would be difficult. I'd be afraid to even give them a spray for fear of causing more rust on the cages. But, I could offer them a spray. It's hot here so it wouldn't be a problem (fear of them getting a chill I mean).

Peachfaced likes this.
  17. Rolanda

Something funny: The Derbyan doesn't want to be touched. if you put a finger in the cage he runs. I still stand and talk to him. He was engaged with me talking to him, then moved over to the S2. I learned that for attention he coughs! Like a person! It is so Funny! :xflove:

DQTimnehs and Clueless like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)