• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG Grandma is Holding BEAUTIES!!!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I hope you continue to post here about your visits as I think many of us will enjoy reading about their progress. :)

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
A Derbyan and his toy... 20170527_100531.jpg 20170527_103128.jpg IMG9500041.jpg

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
If you are looking to get pellets relatively inexpensive, you can order 10lbs bags of Roudybuish on Amazon cheaper than any store. Also if you have feed stores you can usually get Mazuri pellets in large bags at a great price. Most breeders and zoos use mazuri and I have never known a bird to not like it.
Good luck and good job

Rolanda

If you are looking to get pellets relatively inexpensive, you can order 10lbs bags of Roudybuish on Amazon cheaper than any store. Also if you have feed stores you can usually get Mazuri pellets in large bags at a great price. Most breeders and zoos use mazuri and I have never known a bird to not like it.
Good luck and good job

I actually have some Mazuri pellets I could have taken over. They were recommended by my VET for easy acceptance. My Mustache won't touch them (moist with other things or dry).
:hehe: You know of one now.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Hahaha. I guess I do. How strange.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
From the time I got there with toys Grandma kept commenting on how quiet they were. They always scream, they are NEVER this quiet!
You can tell she probably never has visitors and you being there was like "wow, something new. Shut up and watch like a hawk" :lol:

Good job Rolanda. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Love your photos.

Rolanda

Hahaha. I guess I do. How strange.
He would eat the other things but avoid those pellets like they were poison... round and kind of oval. He's a little picky boy, though, so who knows what his issue is... :lol:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
beautiful birds, @Rolanda next time you visit, in Derbyan's cage can you remove that huge S hook. they are very dangerous to our feathered friends. Dr. Barb has one macaw, Chrissie that broke a leg, getting it stuck in a S hook. the person that own him couldn't //wouldn't pay the vet bills. Chrissie is now hers. She is not friendly at all & walks like pirate with wooded leg. a pear closeable hook would work better.

Rolanda

beautiful birds, @Rolanda next time you visit, in Derbyan's cage can you remove that huge S hook. they are very dangerous to our feathered friends. Dr. Barb has one macaw, Chrissie that broke a leg, getting it stuck in a S hook. the person that own him couldn't //wouldn't pay the vet bills. Chrissie is now hers. She is not friendly at all & walks like pirate with wooded leg. a pear closeable hook would work better.
The hooks all need to go. I thought I had some with me, but forgot them. I need to get larger ones anyway. That's on the list. The rusted metal toys need to go s well. I took an SS toy to hand today, but... no hooks... so I couldn't hang it. The sound of it scared them so that one may take a while to introduce.
Hooks, perches... food. My friend will order some food (no sunflower seed), with fruits, veggies nuts & Zupreem pellets. We'll mix it all in a large air tight container... I know Grandma won't want to waste her sunflower seeds, so we can include them but it'll still be 13 pounds of food with her 1 pound of sunflower seeds. I've got them sold on healthier food. I'm going to work on the other stuff too. Rome wasn't built in a day.:xflove:

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Baby steps. It might help if you point out that bird owners learn new things everyday. What she is doing (s hooks, diet, rewarding screaming) is just her doing what she thought was best. And there are a lot of cheap, household items that birds love, toy wise: unbleached coffee filters, straws, Dixie cups, etc., that she could offer.

Rolanda

Going to see Grandma and the babies today. I baked some Flatbread Fusion and they have the better parrot food... a Higgins mix, and Roudybush and a mix with Zupreem pellets... that I will mix up with what they are used to for her (a little, and then progressively more). After eating all sunflower seeds or whatever she puts in their cage I don't think they'll be incredibly picky.

I added some RPO, a little hot pea & corn mix and dried chop plus Herb salad on top of the Flatbread Fusion. Extra good stuff for everyone. My Beaks is the Taste Tester and a second trip to the bowl on the play top is the stamp of approval.:fairy2:

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You are such a good person to help G'ma and her birds. I wish I could be there to help you.

Rolanda

You are such a good person to help G'ma and her birds. I wish I could be there to help you.
I'm just helping out. And like I said... it does a lot for her: someone showing an interest in her birds does something for her. I don't have a grandma:xflove: I'm taking my Adam with me today. It's good for him to see that you have to pitch in and be helpful when you can and you never know what that help might be. You don't have to have some GREAT skill or knowledge to be helpful all the time.:heart:

Rolanda

In other words - always pay it forward.
Is that paying it forward? Okay then. Not a payment though. I can't imagine being here (on earth, living) and NOT helping with something, somehow. Even something as small as this. Just a little bit of my time, a bird toy here or there. It's exciting for ME to see the birds get happy with the toy I took or something I gave them to eat that they enjoy. A bird (species) I will probably never have.:xflove: I have "World Famous San Diego Zoo" Passes... but this is MUCH BETTER!!! LOL