• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check out the craftsmanship

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Nice work, JJ! Thanks for posting Sandra! Is he upset when you take down his projects? I'm nervous to take down Blu's but I'm going to have to at some point.

He is constructing every day. I go through coffee stirs like tp. I bet at the store people wonder why I buy so many bags.

Lately he's been adding some kind of upright wall to his ladder. He's very neat with his work.
20170316_195434.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You can also try plain popsicle sticks and drinking straws as well as shoelaces. They will try to weave with anything if they are in a weaving mood!

And no, we are not happy when a built up nest is taken down. I try to leave the nests up for as long as possible. Usually they get chewed up too so by the time I take them down they almost don't have a "floor".

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's nothing better than a talented builder. :D

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
There's nothing better than a talented builder. :D
:hammer: Takes one to know one, John ;). Seriously though, they do a really interesting job of weaving and, when it comes time to take "nest" down, those things are darn sturdy. And it keeps their beaks busy.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just wanted to update this with the progress so far. This is how it looks today...

20170517_215017.jpg
Not quite as neat anymore but it's sturdy! :)

I think I've bought out the whole inventory of coffee stirs from every Jewel food store in my city. So I've started giving him regular drinking straws for the project too. At first he didn't like them but he's learned that they bend well and work nicely. :D

Bonus * The following picture was taken a while back. It's funny cause every once in a while he'll neatly place some stirs in his ladder like this...

20170416_203919.jpg

But for some reason he always takes them back down at the end of the day. I'm not sure why but they don't quite meet his standards :lol:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Pretty darn awesome!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I just wanted to update this with the progress so far. This is how it looks today...

View attachment 250177
Not quite as neat anymore but it's sturdy! :)

I think I've bought out the whole inventory of coffee stirs from every Jewel food store in my city. So I've started giving him regular drinking straws for the project too. At first he didn't like them but he's learned that they bend well and work nicely. :D

Bonus * The following picture was taken a while back. It's funny cause every once in a while he'll neatly place some stirs in his ladder like this...

View attachment 250179

But for some reason he always takes them back down at the end of the day. I'm not sure why but they don't quite meet his standards :lol:

Maybe he just considers the ladder a storage place for building materials.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
OMG! What a trip! Your little guy is a very busy little weaver! I'm totally fascinated by this. It's too bad that other birds don't do this. I've heard of a few 'toos tying cages together but this is amazing!

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I had no idea Quakers were such industrious and accomplished home builders! Wow Sparky good job! Their weaving is amazing.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Blu is quite a good builder. :) Ralph still likes to just arrange and rearrange his sticks, and after a while, he always squawks for me to pull them apart so he can start over. If I put more sticks in the bottom of his cage than he thinks he needs, he'll push some out onto the floor to get them out of his way. :D

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Blu is quite a good builder. :) Ralph still likes to just arrange and rearrange his sticks, and after a while, he always squawks for me to pull them apart so he can start over. If I put more sticks in the bottom of his cage than he thinks he needs, he'll push some out onto the floor to get them out of his way. :D
:lol:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Ralph is obviously a minimalist.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
what darling little birds, and how nice that they are able to build what is instinctive to them.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Funny that this thread came back to life because I was going to update it with his new project. I will try to get a pic tonight.

He had totally given up on weaving for many months and then all of a sudden it picked back up and I'm having to buy new stirs again every other day.

I was wondering if anyone knows if quakers start weaving when it's breeding season? Or if they just it whenever they feel like it? Do any other quaker owners notice if their bird weaves all the time, or just during certain periods?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Funny that this thread came back to life because I was going to update it with his new project. I will try to get a pic tonight.

He had totally given up on weaving for many months and then all of a sudden it picked back up and I'm having to buy new stirs again every other day.

I was wondering if anyone knows if quakers start weaving when it's breeding season? Or if they just it whenever they feel like it? Do any other quaker owners notice if their bird weaves all the time, or just during certain periods?
The weaving seems to come and go so maybe it is tied to a breeding season. Quaker JJ has his timothy grass tunnel woven but he'll still weave things into the sides of his cage. Quaker Baby Blue isn't as diligent a weaver though he tries and the girls Daisy & Loofa do weave but not necessarily into their grass tube. They'll weave whatever they can into their cage sides. Try giving him millet sprigs and see what he does as well as plastic/paper straws. JJ once tried to weave a spare pair of glasses into his stuff. :blink: :jawdrop1:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The weaving seems to come and go so maybe it is tied to a breeding season. Quaker JJ has his timothy grass tunnel woven but he'll still weave things into the sides of his cage. Quaker Baby Blue isn't as diligent a weaver though he tries and the girls Daisy & Loofa do weave but not necessarily into their grass tube. They'll weave whatever they can into their cage sides. Try giving him millet sprigs and see what he does as well as plastic/paper straws. JJ once tried to weave a spare pair of glasses into his stuff. :blink: :jawdrop1:
Thank you Sandra!
That is too cute! I can just imagine the glasses being woven! :rofl: