• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please have them in your thoughts

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
The poor little thing. You and she are both trying so hard. I wish I had any magic solutions.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you tried the tiny Zupreem fruit pellets? Just thinking here.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Have you tried the tiny Zupreem fruit pellets? Just thinking here.
Supersmart. I have not.... Here, they are not easy to come by. Im goign to try and order online (we dont have addresses here... so no deliveries :( but maybe I can have them delivered by courier. working on it....

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think because she was developmentally quite behind she will be behind on weaning. Probably needs another week or two of being handfed. But it does sound like she is slowly weaning.

Also does she have a black chest feather coming in? In a picture I thought I saw one.

And Valentine, he is gorgeous! But how do you know he is a he?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saya is beautiful. I hope that she will wean sooner or later (actually sooner). Have you tried millet or Cheerios broken down into small pieces (or a similar cereal). When I tried to wean Spee, my sparrow, he initally would not try anything and then pecked a bit at millet but he would not attempt to eat any of the seed mixtures I tired. He also didn't want to eat much of his formula any more. I finally purchased a bag of Volkman's finch and I guess that was he choice of seed because he started eating that almost immediately. You wrote you are trying egg food. How about a very small piece of egg white? That was another thing that Spee liked to eat (and still likes). Continuing to wish you and Saya the best.

How about just sitting next to her while she is in the cage and when she does pick up a seed give her a lot of verbal praise? I have a feeling you are probably already doing this but just thinking here.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Also does she have a black chest feather coming in? In a picture I thought I saw one.

And Valentine, he is gorgeous! But how do you know he is a he?
No black feather.... she has a naked spot (many places still dont have feathers and they make shadows) Not sure 100% Valentine it is a he. Legs are already very orange (compared to saya.... parents are two sex linked genes... genetics is not my strong point- but this is how I understand it)

A female that is visual for a sex-linked mutation will pass the gene to all of her sons since they get her X chromosome which has her sex-linked mutations on it. But she will not pass the gene to any of her daughters because they get her Y chromosome which does not carry color mutation genes.

To get a male who is visual for a sex-linked mutation you must have a mother who is visual for that mutation (he looks fawn... and mom is a fawn).
If you have a baby with a sex-linked mutation and the mother is NOT visual for that mutation, the baby has to be female (Saya looks like lightback, and father was lightback).
And then my head spins a bit and sex=linked genes are confusing.

Here are the footsies:
photo[1].JPG
Hey Mom! LOOK! I have a BIG BIRD FEATHER!!!!
(gave her a bath, and there it was- peeking out black and white stripes... change should happen pretty fast here)
photo[3].JPG

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
errrr. Now that im thinking about it, maybe not. Should have worked in genetics. lol

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I dont want this to be another Emergency Highway 911 (SAD UPDATE)

Im refusing. I wont let it happen. Im working from home to care for her... any less, and I know she would not be here. Everyday feels kinda like a roller coaster.
(Lost two feathers today. Not gaining 39 DAYS OLD). But she seems happy, vet not helpful.
Today, ate: If I am present, she plays with (swallowing maybe 10%)
Bee Pollen
Zupreem pellets!!!!! Thank you @Birdbabe
Niger and millet
Sprouted seed

NEW CAGE SETUP: side by side
Saya to the left, new guys will be to the right. Temporarily.

photo 3[1].JPG

photo 5.JPG

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Ah well, I wasnt expecting a sad update.:(I hope it will run smoothly for all of you tomorrow!:hug8:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE: 40 DAYS OLD.
Valentine flies about 6 ft.... (and apparently is turning into a baby chicken?) :lol:
Saya... 2 ft at best.....

Trying to figure out if she doesnt want to fly... or if she cant. None of them 'fly away' but they fly from one end of the sofa, and back to my shoulder, etc. Saya doesnt.
She flutters from arm of sofa to my computer or from my hand to my shoulder.... never away- just screams, and screams until I rub her head/cheeks.

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 10.15.54 PM.png

Saya is into grooming me... kinda strange. Just got done with a bath- little scruffy in the video.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Yes Saya thinks she is human so she must think Valentine IS some strange creature lol!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Saya is so heavily imprinted on you I think it will take her longer to wean. In the wild she would follow her parents after fledging to be fed by them and would observe their actions hunting for food and thereby learn to seek her own food. I think it's a good idea to have her in a cage next to others where she can observe them picking at and eating foods. I'm a firm believer in "Monkey see… monkey do". I completely understand the fragility of her situation and hope she will soon pick up on independent traits… but I think she is always going to be your little companion unless in the future she bonds to another of the opposite sex and has less interest in you. You have the patience of Jobe!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
when Valentine had to take liquid medication, she refused. I told the vet and he said to give her a wet cracker with the medication on it, it worked. (I used unsalted cracker) Have u tried the frozen fruit, I run warm water on them so it wont break her beak, mangos are a favorite with Valentine :cool:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
YAY! Shes eating a little on her own!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
that's great news, what did she eat? Seems like putting her next to Valentine is catching on. HAPPY DANCE!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Saya is such a cutie. I hope she continues to do well!

:hug8:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
HUGE UPDATE: Saya is 45 DAYS OLD
Weight: roughly 20 Grams

ok... everyone hold onto your pants.........

Feeding: Says is getting about 10% of her diet from seeds!!!! and she took her first bath by HERSELF! (and drink some water!). Still fed every 2 hours, but smaller amount as there are a couple seeds in between (only if I am present). I think she needs the nutrition- so I will feed her formula as long as my fuzz-button desires! Still regurgitates tiny bits of food quite often. Wont eat egg food, or soft food/veggies. But at least some seeds are getting in her system.

Physical: She is really coming along as far as physical traits... her beak is really turning pale (then it will turn orange), and PIN feathers galore! (tail, flanks, chest, head). She did lose a couple small downish feathers yesterday. Which I was not happy about... but she is progressing (she actually fluttered from floor onto my lap yesterday. So flippin cute).

Emotional: Still very aggressive (territorial) to the other birds. Loves to ‘play fetch’ and carry and pull on everything…. Like a male building a nest (constantly pulling on string, carrying paper, etc)…. Which leads me to the next point:

HOWEVER:
My little ping-pong wigglebum had something interesting to share: “My daddy is not what you thought he was….”

Prepare yourself.....
The next clutch that came from her dad (different mom) is not looking right, the colors are all off (Valentine). I asked around.... by that I mean: Spanish inquisition type thing. Because the babies are so light- they are creams... meaning Omega (father) is a silver, split with lightback (showing strange color traits- it does happen now and then, but very rare).

So Saya.... could be a boy. The only way we will be able to tell is to wait... and what ever color comes out is for open market again. More feathers everyday… and strange pale feet?! no song, but nest building behaviour and aggression towards male birds and territorial to objects which are around me (she attacked a pencil that was 'touching me').
Note all the new feathers coming in- especially noticeable on the tail.
The beak is very pink now.... should turn orange soon
See post: #426 for the feet colors

Saya 45 days.jpg
saya45daysold2.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Still precious, boy or girl:heart:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Wow
This was like a novel
I've been on edge of my chair reading and going tru the emotions with you
What an inspiration you are putting all the loving care you have into this little one
I am in admiration of your care for this creature entrusted to you