• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra finch baby gone missing??

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so glad you found the little one. Poor little baby :( I hope his parents don't reject him again.

Will be thinking of the little one.

Hunter

Meeting neighbors
@finchly you are a godly being and i bow to you (insert sparkly eyes of appreciation) thank you so much for that information I don't know how to thank you, i hope i am a good baby bird mama. I've never fed a baby animal or human for that matter >~> but i have patience. ;v;

Hunter

Meeting neighbors
@fashionfobie unfortunately they did, found the little one this morning cold but alive. I had just woke up so my hands were very warm (I sleep like a cocoon except my head lol) so I scooped the little one up as fast as I could and was shocked it was so cold, I quickly prepared the fish tank and the baby is currently warm and comfortable and I think sleeping. Hopefully the hot water bottle technique works long enough for me to go get a heating pad later today

Hunter

Meeting neighbors
@finchly the baby is fine I think, fed it and was startled the first time, I didn't think it was gonna try to swallow the toothpick itself but it makes sense how to not spill the food from mama bird normally. Baby loves new much better heating pad (you didn't specify what type or brand so i got a one from zoo med for reptiles and stuck it to the bottom of the tank. But how do I know when the baby is full? (I assume not begging for food anymore, or refusing to take more but I'm scared of over feeding, or if that's even possible) And how long does is take for the crop to empty?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just to chip in about the heating pad: make sure that there's an area of the tank that the heating pad isn't under. If the baby gets too hot, it will attempt to move to a cooler area of the tank.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can’t count on baby to know when he is full. Look at the crop and stop if it’s looking too stuffed.

the crop should empty within 2-4 hours. If he’s begging again and it’s not empty you can go ahead and feed, but let it empty about once every 24 hours.

Hunter

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much for all this helpful information, I'm glad you are letting me message you i I didn't wanna be demanding or rude and message you without your ok and possibly make you mad

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you so much for all this helpful information, I'm glad you are letting me message you i I didn't wanna be demanding or rude and message you without your ok and possibly make you mad

It's fine - people message me all the time here, FB, Insta and my website! I just like to help. (if I can)

Hunter

Meeting neighbors
Haha yah, I got so scared like OMG HE GONNA IMPALE HIMSELF and then I finally realised that's how he eats and have been watching the parents (from afar mostly, they don't like a close observation sadly) and it's also kinda scary how the mama picks the baby up and it drops from her beak during feeding. And I'm already atune to the sound the babies make and if I'm asleep I wakes me up instantly and I'm practically jumping out of my bed to check on mine. If I see him begging I instantly go make food for him, i try not to disturb the little one unless it's been a few hours since he last begged for food and check on him. (I hear the other babies go off a lot and check on mine just in case) and it's only been 4 days and I can tell they are growing and getting stronger cuz I used to barely hear them beg but now they are double how loud they used to be!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
... but now they are double how loud they used to be!
This reminds me of my chickens. When they were chicks I would jump up out of bed to tend to their little needs. Massive difference between happily chatting with their friends vs needing help. Once I heard a little cheep, it just wasn't the normal frequency I sprang up and found little Hypatia stuck in the water dish. He end up being just fine, but if I wasn't so paranoid and tuned into their little sounds it could have been a bad outcome.

I am so pleased that you are connecting to the little finches calls and responding like a caring parent. Keep up the great work!

Hunter

Meeting neighbors
I would never have though myself the caring parent type but it's any of my birds. A single chirp, any rapid wing flapping and im awake. My birds are my everything. I've never been motivated in life but they push me to actually do things, mostly running around for them ;) but ever since I got my birds ive become incredibly protective of them. Anything that comes and goes from the house is monitored closely in case it poses a threat to them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You are in good hands with Finchly.
Thank you. I hope I can live up to that endorsement! Baby finches are so fragile.

I would never have though myself the caring parent type but it's any of my birds. A single chirp, any rapid wing flapping and im awake. My birds are my everything. I've never been motivated in life but they push me to actually do things, mostly running around for them ;) but ever since I got my birds ive become incredibly protective of them. Anything that comes and goes from the house is monitored closely in case it poses a threat to them.

You're a good parront!

Adam21

Strolling the yard
The baby was found in a corner of the cage, it's still alive... But the baby couldn't have fell or it was pushed out...
Glad you found the baby, I had a similar instance with one of my canaries. Someone threw her out and I found her at bottom of cage. She was alive and I put her back in the nest. She grew well and she is alive and healthy to this day although she did grow up with a slightly deformed foot. So it can get a little slippery for her sometimes.

Also the parents did continue feeding her. It could have been the first clutch of babies that threw her out.