• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You ARE SO NOT WELCOME

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBirdLady1983

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pickle
Its not only my animals but Mess with my blood human child and I become someone you wish you never came across. I chased one of my sons past friends down the block for calling my son a curse word and I didn't laugh hard until I spoke to the neighbors that later said something to me asking me what was I doing running after a 15yr old down the block ....hehe! Um yea basically I act like a fool when it comes to something I love and I feel they are being ditched for whatever reason.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Im VERY protective over my animals, I would be the same way as you. I would speak up.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I think you responded in a perfectly appropriate way. I tend to curse a lot myself, but there is a big difference between a bird accidentally picking up on something and someone setting out to teach them on purpose.

Weirsh Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aubrey
What would've offended me about that situation is her lack of respect. The cussing is not such a big deal, I cuss sometimes and my U2 has picked up a couple "colorful" words. lol That doesn't bother me, because he has no concept that the words are offensive or taboo...it's just another word to him. What's obnoxious about your "friend" is the fact that she was going to do it JUST because she knew you didn't want her to. There's a reason people have called me fierce, among other things. lol

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I rad this yesterday but didn't reapond. Thankfully my friends know what my birds mean to me. My response would have been something like, "well, why don't I teach your kids to say 'eff you' because I am rude and ignorant?'". You did what you felt was best. Don't question it...

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
I'm starting to see that it was more disrespecting me than Mister...cause you're right, he'd just pick it up as another word. I don't really cuss myself. It doesn't offend me though. I don't want Mister learning it because if I had to rehome him for any reason it could interfere with him finding a good home. (the only way I'd rehome him is if I die)

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I don't want my birds picking up bad words. We joke about it but would NEVER teach it to them. I watch my mouth around them but their is times like stubbing my toe and say oh *hit.

But you friend had lack of respect for you. That what bothers me. Is she a really good friend?

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
No...she isn't really. The whole weekend was a mess while she was here...started by her inviting herslef...then getting here really late (while I have been sick with the fluid around brain)...then wanted me to walk around all day at Traders Village, which is sort of like a really big flea market...while I'm sick. then criticized me about my meds, how much syrup I put on my pancakes...yadda yadda....I just deleted her phone number from my cell :o:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I dont know anyone who be so rude to my pets, in my house, thank god. But if I were ever in that situation, Id just politely ask them not to, and change the subject. I dont think you were wrong in asking her not to do it though.

Min

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melinda
Not only disrespectful to humans, I feel it s disrespectful to the bird, even when he doesn't know what he's saying is bad. Having been in parrot rescue, and seeing that birds that have bad language are harder to place, I feel it is not a good thing to teach parrots to curse. I remember an M2 and a grey that kept returning because people couldn't put up with the cursing. Keeping a bird's language clean gives a bird the opportunity to be in a more family-friendly atmosphere should he ever need to be rehomed.

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Min, I have worked in rescues as well, and I wholeheartedly agree!

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
my fiance's mom tries to teach tsuka to curse.... she wants him to call her son a name -.- but we just ignore her because--though tsuka is an excellent talker for a tiel--his voice is so squeeky its hard to understand right and no one would really know... that and she rarely interacts with the birds (she hates them) and we dont teach him those... chances of him actually picking it up are so slim and the fact that if we told her not to,... well shes not the type of person to argue with (she thinks shes always right) so we just leave it. a bigger bird with a better voice on the other hand is a different story. you can clearly undertsand it and it offends people and not every parent wants their kids to hear words like that--and parrots are often family pets!

Ginich

Moving in
Real Name
Gini
I wouldn't find it very "cute" either. Having watched two fids in the FWCAS Rescue have to be retrained because one made "racist" remarks and the other had a 4-letter vocabuary :o: that no one would tolerate, made it very difficult to rehome them, especially if there were other parrots in the house.

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
i completely agree you did the right thing. my fiance's friend was supposed to be watching our pet rats when we went on leave for a month. long story short, he didn't, one ended up with a tumor and dying a week after we got back, dustin almost got an animal cruelty charge, i told him he is NEVER to come near my house or my animals again.

Status
Not open for further replies.