• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You ARE SO NOT WELCOME

Status
Not open for further replies.

all4stvoyager

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
I had a person that I considered a friend over last weekend. We haven't seen each other in months because she is a bit more judgemental than I like to spend much time with.

The day she got here, she went up to Mister's cage and said "I'm gonna teach you to cuss cause I'm ornery like that."

I told her, "you do, and you won't be welcome in my home anymore." Now I know that's kinda harsh, but how RUDE! Was I too mean? What do you guys do if someone tries to do something to your bird that you don't like?

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
I probably would have said something similar. I've lived with roommates the past few years and there have always been ground rules about how to act and what shouldn't be said around the bird.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
I'd do the same thing. Not that I can really say much because I'm one of those cursing gamers(getting slightly better, and I'm SOOOOO glad Ry never picked up the bad words *winces*) and I don't think it's harsh at ALL.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I say 'No thanks, might seem like a fun idea now, but I dont want to hear it repeated for the next 60-70years!'

That's normally enough to get a reaction like '60-70 years? Really?' and changes the subject nicely :D

OldBirdLady1983

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pickle
If anyone comes in my house and is rude to my family "My Birds or my Dogs" I can get pretty nasty rude right back. I had this happen before and asked my friend of 9yrs to leave and after that he was texting me like mad saying it would never happen again and how sorry he was. I made my point I think :)

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
This lady isn't really talking to me anymore. Which, to be honest, is fine with me. I felt like she was really disrespectful. I'm glad you all know and understand what I am talking about!

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
This lady isn't really talking to me anymore. Which, to be honest, is fine with me. I felt like she was really disrespectful. I'm glad you all know and understand what I am talking about!
Fair enough. She doesn't get the pet thing is what I'm getting. It's really hard to continue to get along with people long term if they don't respect your values, your property, or your family, all of which it sounds like she was bashing with that comment. :hug8:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Harsh? I would not have been nearly so tactful. Not nearly. You were right.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
You handled it the right way. If a bird accidentally picks up a curse, while it may not be pleasant, it was an honest accident. But TEACHING them to curse is like teaching a 2 year old to curse and it's just wrong. I would have done the same thing you did.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I say 'No thanks, might seem like a fun idea now, but I dont want to hear it repeated for the next 60-70years!'

That's normally enough to get a reaction like '60-70 years? Really?' and changes the subject nicely :D
LOVE this reply/advice!!!!!
Perfect and yes, it would work everytime.

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
I had a boss, who became a friend, who was completely determined to teach my birds some very profane language. ( Now, I'm not offended by it so much...but still. )

I'd just tell him to knock it off, and he wouldn't, so I didn't bring my birds around him anymore. Problem solved.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
That's a shame! I would have said the same thing and have been in your position with company of mine. My uncle was being rude, repeating inappropriate words in front of Emmett last time they came to visit. I told him that if he kept it up next time I saw his grandson I would teach him to say the same exact word. Then I smiled and walked away. He got the point and stopped. :) After that if we have "questionable" company Emmett is put in an area of less traffic. :hug8: I think you handled it very well! :hug8:

TypingParrot

I am the same way. My ex brought my son to the house and was telling mickey "Say (insert random curse word here)" and I said "you teach him to say it and I'll teach the dog how to bite."

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You did good!!!!:hug8:

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
It sounds to me like the two of you were not exactly 'on the same page' to start with. This event may have solidified the inevitable. I found your statement to be assertive (I am usually passive aggressive, so I can respect someone who can be assertive): You said "you do, and you won't be welcome here anymore." Simple enough... if your behavior is XYZ, then my response will be XYZ. Fair warning! I say that it was only a matter of time, as the two of you were not getting along that well to begin with. ;)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you were bang on!!! :highfive: and sounds like you are well rid of that so called friend anyway

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Disrespect my birds, my family and my property and myself and there will be issues. I let people know this right off the bat if they do or say something that gets the red flags out.

I think your respond is appropriate. But you really need to say more. If she is a friend, she should respect you. PERIOD. So her past judgemental attitude needed to go out the window long ago, you need to stand up for yourself. A friend like that is no friend!

:hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:cool1: My friends know to not even think about it.:hehe:

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
I tend to be a bit more passive aggressive when it comes to sticking up for myself, but mess with my animals, and watch out!

Thank you all for your support. Yeah, she and I prob have other things to deal with, but to be honest, I don't value the friendship enough to care that much. Just don't mess with my babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.