• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Xena's Story - Tiel with one leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh she is so pretty...and lucky you found her.:)

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
Enjoyed reading Xena's story.

Something a breeder told us over 25 years ago, has always stuck in my mind: The bird has no idea he/she is different, or that he/she has a handicap. Treat the bird as if it were normal.

Other than a spot for Xena to rest/lay down, there's nothing different you need to be doing.
John's suggestion of a hammock type resting place is perfect.
Well said :) I wish she would use a hammock, they are scared of them. I'm going to vet wrap some of the perches for her and put some of the moleskin on her flat perches. Hopefully that helps. I was also told to give her red palm oil by the vets office. Has anyone used this before?

Quadriplegic

Walking the driveway
Hi All,

I thought I would post here and tell you about Xena. She was brought to me about 2 years ago from someone who found her outside in March. It was freezing cold as it normally is in Canada. I noticed that the little cockatiel's foot was swollen. I ended up bringing her to the vet the next day and he didn't really think too much of it and said it should get better.

Well, the next few days were awful. Her foot started turning darker and well it turns out she had frostbite to one of her legs. I'm not getting into details of how gross it was before we knew what it was. Poor thing had to wear a cone on her head so she would leave it alone and I didn't think she would make it. The vet who I knew gave her the operation to remove her entire foot and part of her leg and thank god didn't charge me for it.

She was at the vet for a week and I went to go visit her. She actually was doing well which I was surprised. I ended up taking her home trying to get her adjusted to her new surroundings. You wouldn't believe the improvement she has made. If you saw her you wouldn't even notice she was missing one leg unless I pointed it out. She has done so well and gets around perfectly fine. I have put in special platform perches for when she is sleeping which gives her foot a rest.

Does anyone have any other cage suggestions for birds with one leg? I would love some other ideas. Here are a few pics of her before and after.
She is incredibly beautiful and definitely very happy

Status
Not open for further replies.