• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Xena's Story - Tiel with one leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
Hi All,

I thought I would post here and tell you about Xena. She was brought to me about 2 years ago from someone who found her outside in March. It was freezing cold as it normally is in Canada. I noticed that the little cockatiel's foot was swollen. I ended up bringing her to the vet the next day and he didn't really think too much of it and said it should get better.

Well, the next few days were awful. Her foot started turning darker and well it turns out she had frostbite to one of her legs. I'm not getting into details of how gross it was before we knew what it was. Poor thing had to wear a cone on her head so she would leave it alone and I didn't think she would make it. The vet who I knew gave her the operation to remove her entire foot and part of her leg and thank god didn't charge me for it.

She was at the vet for a week and I went to go visit her. She actually was doing well which I was surprised. I ended up taking her home trying to get her adjusted to her new surroundings. You wouldn't believe the improvement she has made. If you saw her you wouldn't even notice she was missing one leg unless I pointed it out. She has done so well and gets around perfectly fine. I have put in special platform perches for when she is sleeping which gives her foot a rest.

Does anyone have any other cage suggestions for birds with one leg? I would love some other ideas. Here are a few pics of her before and after.

Attachments

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Aww bless, what a strong and beautiful girl she is, and so lucky to have you too! I had no idea birds can get frostbite, that is really worrisome, especially for those that lose their birds in the winter time. :(

The only other things I can think of besides platforms are, have any perches, toys, dishes and etc down really low near the bottom of the cage, and have something soft on the bottom of the cage for her, if you haven’t done so already.

:hug8::hug8:

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
I know, she is definately a strong birdie. That's how I came up with the name Xena..the warrior princess haha

Surprisingly after about the first few months of her surgery she didn't need to have the food or perches lower. I gradually added them in and raised them and now they are normal. She never uses the bottom of her cage anymore :) She actually shares a cage with my other tiel now and she uses her little stump to get around too. I keep her flighted since that's how she gets around.

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is so fortunate to have you! :hug8:Winters are unforgiving in Canada, she is lucky she just lost a leg. Does she have rope perches? Anything would go a mile if it would make her one remaining leg as comfortable as possible.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What a trooper. :hug8:

Something used quite often for a handicapped bird like that is a birdy "hammock" that they can slide into to sleep. They get to sit down and the hammock supports them on the sides too.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Aww. What a tough girl. I have a tiel with only one foot. You'd never know it by the way he gets around though. Not sure how his happened since that's how I got him and his previous owners as well.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a spectacularly beautiful girlie she is..so lucky to have been found and that she survived at all i live in Caledon about one half hour from you and the thought of a tiel being out in the winter just makes me shudder. I am suprised that no one claimed her when you posted your found information on the various sites...but might be a good thing they did not as she looks so happy with you...we used to have flat platforms for our finch..really just two flat pieces of plywood well well sanded with no splinters of course..about 4 inches wide and r unning the length of the cage..he was crippled and loved them..or you could go to the reptiel section of petsmart and get flat platforms...I have seen them there..or try vet wrapping the perches....how beautiful she is...I am so happy she has you..bless your heart

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Awww...she is adorable, and looks like such a sweetie. I had a tiel with one leg, and the biggest thing was to keep her perches padded, so that her one foot that had to bear all her weight, 24/7, wouldnt develop pressure sores. I wrapped the perches with some felt, and then covered them with paper towels, which I could change as needed to keep the perch clean. Worked like a charm for us.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Xena is soo very pretty.. :heart: What you can also do to help her is get her a Happy Hut so your little one can rest her feeties at nite.. :) My Mikey (he is missing his left toes) was very perch picky so I had a homemade platform perch made by Claudia at Chopper Toys that extended the length of his cage. And what I do is wrap a sherpa fur cover around it (can buy it at your local fabric store) or you could also use a piece of fleece as a padding... I just tape it underneath being my little guy isn't a chewer.. He loves it because it soo soft for his little nub.. Or another idea is you can use some moleskin padding.. Dr. Scholl's - Product Detail.. Oh and if your little gurl likes to hang out on top of her cage when she's out (like my Mikey does) I put a bathmatt on top of his cage so its easier for him to walk... :heart:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
She is so adorable! Thanks for taking her in. She is a lucky girl!

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
thanks everyone. I took her to the vet the other day actually and he recommended putting the moleskin padding on her flat perches. I had noticed that her foot is getting sores on it from all of the pressure. I have tried the bird hammock but she was scared of it lol. Cockatiels don't usually go for the huts and hammocks...however my conure is another story :)

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
Xena is beautiful. What a strong little fid. Bless you for taking her in and giving her a warm and loving home.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
It's just so amazing on how animals adapt to disabilities. What a touching story and good for you for taking her in and giving her a healthy life.

MBS

Jogging around the block
She is absolutely beautiful, and I'm happy that she's doing so well with you. I love her crest. She makes me want a 'tiel. They're wonderful birds.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
She's a beautiful tough little cookie. I agree with everyone else. Platform perches and padding for her good footsie.

Ginger

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
Tiels are definately great birds, especially for people who don't have experience with birds. My other tiel Taz he is a bit of a monster. I have had him for about 6 or 7 years now and he hates hands but he will let me kiss him. Just recently I think he has realized that Xena is getting more attention than him because she loves getting her head scratched and he is scared. He has FINALLY stepped up onto my fingers willingly after 7 years of having him. I think he got a little jealous :hehe:. The only weird thing about him is I can't pick him up first to take him out because he will bite me. I take Xena out first and when he sees her come out then he will step up. What a weirdo :p

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Tiels are definately great birds, especially for people who don't have experience with birds. My other tiel Taz he is a bit of a monster. I have had him for about 6 or 7 years now and he hates hands but he will let me kiss him. Just recently I think he has realized that Xena is getting more attention than him because she loves getting her head scratched and he is scared. He has FINALLY stepped up onto my fingers willingly after 7 years of having him. I think he got a little jealous :hehe:. The only weird thing about him is I can't pick him up first to take him out because he will bite me. I take Xena out first and when he sees her come out then he will step up. What a weirdo :p
My Mikey was the same way your Taz is... afraid of hands but he let me give him sweet kisses... :heart: And then my other tiel Daisy well she always DEMANDS scritches... yup she's like a tiny little bull.. :rofl: Hmmm but then again aren't tiels part of the too's family... :hehe: So yeah I think after Mikey see's me all the time giving scritches to Daisy, he knows he's missing out on something good and now he comes to me more.. :rolleyes:

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Enjoyed reading Xena's story.

Something a breeder told us over 25 years ago, has always stuck in my mind: The bird has no idea he/she is different, or that he/she has a handicap. Treat the bird as if it were normal.

Other than a spot for Xena to rest/lay down, there's nothing different you need to be doing.
John's suggestion of a hammock type resting place is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.