• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would this cage be ok?

MotherDover!

Sitting on the front steps
I have a Ferret Nation, and am considering using it for 4-5 budgies. The size is great: 36 inches across, 24 inches deep and 25 inches high. The only problem is that the bar spacing for the cage is one inch. Would this be ok? I doubt that they'd be able to escape, but am not completely certain. If the only problem is that the bird may extend part of itself outside the cage, risking injury, then that won't be a problem as the walls of the cage are lined up against other walls. A picture of the cage model is attached.

Attachments

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would say no. Even if your bird wouldn't be able to fit its whole body through, he could get his head stuck and not be able to get out. 1/2 inch is the safe spacing for budgies. I wouldn't use anything bigger.

And I would only keep maybe 2 budgies in there, although that's just me. If you had the critter nation, that could work. I believe they are a similar size, but the bar spacing is 1/2 an inch. If you had the 2-level one, I think 4 or 5 budgies could be very happy in there.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
One inch spacing will not work with budgies. You cannot surround it on all 4 sides plus the top with walls.
The Critter Nation works beautifully, but not the Ferret Nation.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Like the others have said, 1" bar spacing is much too big for budgies. They might not be able to fully escape, but the problem is that they could definitely get their heads through, and then get stuck. The best rule of thumb is that either a space should be too small to get the head through at all, or big enough to get the whole body through-- anything in between could be a dangerous trap.

MotherDover!

ok, thank you, good feedback. Is there any way that I could modify the cage to make it safe?

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
I wouldn't....best to get a proper cage for keets. Or a bigger bird for the cage....

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies do best in a flight cage that has wheels. The cage in the photo is much too low and if you have other pets (predators) your birds would be in a constant state of fear. Agree about the bar spacing being too big. Birds should be in bird cages, not cages meant for other animals. Keep watching sales and prices because flight cages are very popular. Cages for keets are bet being wider than they are tall with doors that open like doors.

Here is an example. This is the cage I have.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...refix=flight+cages,aps,237&crid=2D1I0ETFRD9N4

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've seen budgies escape with less than 1" so definitely not going to work! I've seen people wrap the cage with hardware mesh, but since you need stainless steel, or something zinc free, it ends up being really costly. additionally, once it's on it can create further issues because the attachment points can catch toes, so there is a safety issue too. It would be better to get a new cage in terms of cost, time, and safety.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My conure's cage has 3/4" bar spacing. The last budgie I had *easily* squeezed through the bar spacing and into his cage to eat his food and mess with his toys. Charlie was not happy about that...

MotherDover!

Thanks ya'll. I won't put any parakeets into this cage, and will get a new one if I want to get more birds. Though, I did consider putting mesh over the current cage. (Being Responsible)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mesh would be a safety hazard because those little budgie toes could get caught and the bird will panic and who knows what after that. There are many cages on the market that are not good for budgies. Some humans think because they have one tiny bird that a small cage would be OK. I really do not think this is so.