• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would a Ring neck be a good companion for my Sun Conure?

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Hi everyone! First off I hope this is alright here, if not please let me know!
A little back story. We had a Cinnamon Green Cheek and a Sun Conure together for most of their lives. While Mango (Sun Conure) wanted to be best friends with Claire (CGC) she barley wanted to return the feelings. He would go to snuggle with her and she would try to bite and chase him away...... but he would always keep trying lol. They would sometimes snuggle with my hand in between them but most of their interactions was eating together (different bowls), playing with different toys together, bathing at the same time and just being in the same room which seemed to keep them happy. Mango was a rescue and sadly came from a place were he was mistreated so he is a little scared of people but mainly hands. He will sit with me from time to time and let me starch his head from time to time (after so many years of trying lol). I think he enjoys just having another bird in the same room as its an companion that is less scary. The minute I would separate them and even move them to different rooms they would call for each other and not be happy until they could see each other again.

I have wrote on here before looking for help as Claire passed away in February of this year. We all took it very hard including Mango and we still struggle with out her everyday. While his health has finally approved (he wasn't eating right/ what I believe to be stress regurgitation/losing weight) and he is eating good again and a better weight, he still seems lonely. I don't know how to describe it per say other then he seems pretty happy, plays like normal now, flying and does his tricks like normal and even sits with me like normal. But he always looks for her and just doesn't seem like 100% his cheery personality. As much as I may have not been as ready as he has, I have been looking for a rescue to bring in that would be a good fit for all of us. I tried looking for similar size (hopefully not smaller) in rescues near me with no luck for awhile. A female Ring neck came in and we were seriously considering adopting her.

I'm just wondering if they might be a good "match". Now I understand it's really dependent on the birds personality and its not like a scientific fact that this species and this species would get along. I also sadly can't get another conure, it's a weird mental block that I can not get other after her passing. Now we are not looking for a buddy that has to be best friends and will not be in the same cage. Just like Claire before, they weren't the best of buds but did enjoy each other enough to care when one left the room. So I'm looking for peoples opinions and maybe history with this sort of situation. Do different species have the possibility of getting along (not being to different in sizes)? Does gender matter? Does age matter? What factors should I be looking for?

I hoping to find him a buddy soon as I hate seeing him lonely so I really appreciate everyone's feedback!