• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Wondering about age...

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
I recently, like a day ago, got myself some finches, Java Rice Finches to be exact. I don't know much about finches as I have a cockatiel and green cheek conure. The cage is 24x18x19, a touch smaller than I'd like and will be upgrading at some point. What I'd like to know is at what age do the babies go up for sale/adoption? I was told mine are about 8 months old and I can't find any information about if that's kinda old or just right for them to be sold. Not that it really matters but as a point of interest I'd love to know. I know the photo isn't grand, I didn't want to spook them any more than they'd already been spooked by the move. The cage is covered on all sides except the front for now as I think that'll give them a senses of security.

Attachments

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Hey there, 9 months is definitely on the older end. Here in Japan the finches usually still have their adolescent feathers when they’re being sold as they still have a chance to be hand tame. I got my own Java when she was around 3 months old.

if you need any help with caring for them, feel free to shoot me a message directly!

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
Hey there, 9 months is definitely on the older end. Here in Japan the finches usually still have their adolescent feathers when they’re being sold as they still have a chance to be hand tame. I got my own Java when she was around 3 months old.

if you need any help with caring for them, feel free to shoot me a message directly!
Yeah, I thought 8 months is a bit old for finches. They're so cute and not too noisy.