• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wits End: bird mites!

Cheery72

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Danielle
I am at my wits end and I’m about to give my 11 year old’s bird away. He will be devastated. His cockatiel has bird mites and they won’t go away no matter what I do! I’ve hired an exterminator who was knowledgeable and had his own birds. I’ve scrubbed the cage weekly. I’ve treated the bird with Ultracare Mite and Lice spray. I e had the bird treated at the vet. I’m desperate! Please help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Danielle :)

Take the bird to a vet. They will be able to prescribe a treatment.

edit; oops sorry;

I e had the bird treated at the vet.
Is there another vet you an visit? Or have you been back to say the treatment didn´t work?

Reactions: Ali

Cheery72

Real Name
Danielle
Welcome to the Avenue Danielle :)

Take the bird to a vet. They will be able to prescribe a treatment.

edit; oops sorry;

Is there another vet you an visit? Or have you been back to say the treatment didn´t work?

Cheery72

Real Name
Danielle
It’s not just the bird. It’s the cage and the house. I can’t seem to keep them away and there are no visible nests outside.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It’s not just the bird. It’s the cage and the house. I can’t seem to keep them away and there are no visible nests outside.
Maybe you could have the bird stay at the vet and get treatment there while you rid the house of mites? That way they probably won’t come back.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be suspicious that the cage is hiding them. I have read in the past that people have had to submerge their cages and perches in water and keep them submerged for quite some time to be certain they're dead. Others have thrown the cage and perches out and bought everything new.

Maybe you could try getting everything done at once. Have the vet do the treatment and while he is at the vet get the house treated and then set up new cage, perches and toys.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
SCATT on the back of the neck

clean cage toys perches and surrounding areas with bleach . Vacuum thoroughly. If bedding or curtains are nearby wash them.
spray cage nest etc with avian insect liquidatorNOT another product. Keep cleaning and vacuuming.

The SCATT lasts 21 days in their system so on day 22 repeat. The AIL lasts one month so on day 31 repeat.