• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Willow’s thread

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Willow and I had a nice visit today though he was really annoyed with my bird toy shopping instead of communing with BIRD.
he had a quick bath Tuesday in the sink and he was so much softer Wednesday and today.

the pollen is really high and I am so stuffed up. At least now I know I’m not sick with a virus. So I am steeping horehound herb and I’m going to cook it down tomorrow and then make cough drops. (because I like horehound and the store has stopped carrying plain honey cough drops).

I got photos of Willow and me today. This is how Willow likes to be held.

Attachments

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, allergies...I get that. I'm pretty miserable right now, too. Hope your drops help!

Willow is so cute with his noggin' smooshed into your cheek! :xflove:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Yeah, allergies...I get that. I'm pretty miserable right now, too. Hope your drops help!

Willow is so cute with his noggin' smooshed into your cheek! :xflove:
He likes to put his beak right at the corner between my eye and my nose and lean into my face as I hold and pet him. He breathes on my nose and lacrimal area. He is such a sweet bird. It’s early today and he is yelling quietly in his cage as I’ve just woken up.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Willow and I went to the farmers market. Willow met some farmers and students and got a free bean, tomato and a grape.
He enjoyed it until the end and then he wanted to go home so we sat down and snuggled until he was happy.

Attachments

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
we’re still eating the vegetables we gotta the farmers market, and the pears have been a nice dessert. Willow enjoyed sharing some pear this afternoon. I think I’ll make some crisp tomorrow with the older apples and pears knocking around my kitchen.

the Bonka bird toys box came in. WOW! Those are the best toys I’ve ever seen. Jasper already has two new toys in her cage but I’m moving slower with Willow. I think I’m going to put one on his basket, and a new toy on the bird tree, too.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I got a call this morning when doing bird time with Willow and Willow was being very loud in competition with the phone. I don’t see why the phone is so exciting when a cartoon isn’t unless it’s that I’m paying attention to the phone.
Anyhow I was speaking to someone from the government and willow started to do machine gun ack ack acks and monkey noises in his basket while throwing avicake remnants around. I tried to hold him so he’d calm down and that was a problem. So I was saying “ouch!” While the zoo noises were happening, and trying to have a serious conversation about health care benefits.
Darn bird. He’s NEVER LOUD until an important call.
Honestly, I’m happy that he’s being loud sometimes now. I don’t want him cowering in fear in his cage. But I wish he would not do it during online or phone meetings.

I hope the loudness goes along with more audible talking. It seems like since he’s been more attitudey this summer he’s been talking more.
E56D8527-148B-4C69-946D-2CFB77F4679D.jpeg 11D1449A-0817-483A-9244-0658646F9AD2.jpeg

Last edited:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Willow and I sat outside for a while Saturday and Sunday as I expect the weather to turn and get cold soon.
We went to a few stores on the pedestrian mall and Willow was happy to be out and about. Notably we went to the art store and I saw many many things that I would have liked but did not get. I have plenty of art supplies.
And we just sat on a bench for a long time and I scratched Willow’s head. He’s mid molt and has lots of pin feathers. It was cooler today than yesterday and I was much more comfortable.
We met a man who told me that the birds had “shown him THE WAY!” I think the birds have valuable lessons for all of us so I agreed with him.
No coffeehouse today, but a nice drink at the bubbler for both of us.

Here’s an old photo of Willow at the art store

Attachments

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
We didn’t go out this weekend. I was feeling blah. But I still spent considerable time with birds.

Tonight, Willow really wanted to hop into the sink with the dirty dishes but they were NASTY so I didn’t let him. So, tomorrow we get the swan pet fountain out for him and Jasper to clean their new feathers. I need to clean tomorrow and I’m guessing neither bird will be happy about it. They don’t mind their cage paper changed quick but vacuuming is A BIG PROBLEM.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Willow was grumpy this morning as he didn’t get out yesterday. So today he had to be bribed with much bird cookie until he would be pet. Now we are melding. We ran into Willows fan club in the lobby; an elderly lady who misses her cockatiel and is always happy to see him. She is usually very nice.

We snuck into the corner store to buy soda and throat lozenges. (Willow made a mysterious lump on my shoulder underneath my fuzzy hoodie.). In the cookie aisle he decided he wanted out and emerged through the hair at my nape. I stuck him back in my shoulder and rushed through checkout.

It’s 51 f and a bit cool for Willow to be outside. This may have been his last venture for some months. This is homecoming weekend and it’ll be very busy downtown. So I think we will stay home. Mr grumpy was pinchy for a while but I owe him a lot of pets. I am being careful as I’m wearing a heart monitor and he wants to eat the cords. I will be SO HAPPY to get these itchy stickers off soon and have a shower. image.jpg

“Who loves you, birdie?”

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
@WillowQ this is going to sound stupid but what's an avicake? I really enjoyed reading this thread

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
@WillowQ this is going to sound stupid but what's an avicake? I really enjoyed reading this thread
An avicake is like a bird cookie. It’s a treat made by Laefeber company, of seeds and pellets and molasses and egg, that Willow really likes. It’s nutritionally complete if the bird eats the whole square. (Comes in a big flat rectangle in a bag; you break off squares for your bird.)
I’m glad you like this thread! Willow is such a good bird. He was out with me for lots of head scratches and beak rubs today. He looks so nice after his bath yesterday.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Speaking of avicakes, Willow and I just shared a “sesame soft candy” from the Asian grocery store. I went there Wed on my way home from the dr. Those candies look like giant avicakes, flat like a pancake and 4 or 5” around.

Willow doesn’t share his avicakes with ME but I shared my sesame cookie with him.

I have a lot of time to make up to Willow and Jasper. He is enjoying a nice jaw rub with his beak pressed against my eyelid or nose. And he has sesame cookie breath. What a nice bird. Willow is so cuddly.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
157D9B51-967F-420D-BA7D-5BB04F6C63EE.jpeg

If I stop holding him he growls. My hand is wrapped around his back like a blanket while my hand rubs his lower jaw or cheek and his beak presses against my face.

Last edited:

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
THIS is an avicake:
Thank u! I asked at the vet and the lady said they have them but she said she usually makes her own bird cake and it's cheaper and she can get their veggies in there. I'm going to try to make one in the ninja thing cause my oven doesn't work and I've got these silicone pans that I wanted to try anyway. That particular person has 2 macaws and a few other large birds so she's been giving me tips on making things cheaper and easier to clean .... She's been so helpful

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I would love an avicake recipe if youve got one.

Avicake is the one thing I am not allowed to run out of.

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
I would love an avicake recipe if youve got one.

Avicake is the one thing I am not allowed to run out of.
As it was Explained to me was pretty much use corn meal (or jiffy kind of u babe no idea how to make the real stuff ) and put chopped veggies and some seeds and pretty much whatever u want in it and mix it up. She said she adds to it until it looks about right and bake it. Cut up into whatever size portions u like and freeze it like that. Take out whenever you need and that's all. Seems easy enough to me I just haven't had the time to try it between work and feeling like poop this whole weekend. She doesn't use it as a meal but a treat she said but the one u use she said it's just to expensive to buy for hers all the time and this one she gets to pack the veggies in and they don't even know . As with a lot of us she uses frozen usually on her veggies, so don't think it matters frozen or fresh. Hope it helps!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I brought Willow into my room and went to pet him. He leaned way over and stared longingly at the bag of avicakes. Willow is only using me for my avicakes, I think. He’s annoyed because the last bits are broken up and he has to eat them out of my palm, not hold them in his foot.

I entered an old photo of Willow perched in a basket of flowers to the avian avenue calendar contest. Willow is so beautiful; he’s preening his feathers and fanning his tail in the photo.

I’m reading Robin Hobbs dragon keeper chronicles. Willow and jasper remind me of dragons.