• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will my new Amazon hurt my Lovebird?!

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

I got a new hybrid amazon(Blue-fronted Amazon x Yellow Crowned Amazon)today, haven't named it yet. I already have a lovebird, my lovebird flies all around the house and is very tamed and social. My worry is, will they get along together?! My amazon is tamed and home born and raised. He's now 8 Months old. Hew new to the house so I know it'll take some time till he settles down. But my worry is should I keep them both out and not worry of my amazon hurting my lovebird. Because my lovebird is going straight to my amazon but I'm keeping him in the cage for now till I make sure they won't hurt each other.
I'll upload the pictures soon.

Thank you

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best to keep them apart from one another. Also if he is new to your house you should have quarantined him from your lovebird for at least 30 days.

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
Best to keep them apart from one another. Also if he is new to your house you should have quarantined him from your lovebird for at least 30 days.
Okay, I do remember reading about that somewhere before, But tomorrow I'm taking him to the vet anyways to do a check-up on him and make sure everything is okay.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely keep them separated. Do NOT allow or trust them together for one minute. To prevent your lovie from being maimed or killed, you must take this VERY seriously. All precautions taken, always.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I would keep them seperated and watch your lovebird when he is out. My senegal and Amazon were raised together, both of them very tame, but my senegal is afraid of nothing.
He tries his best to get my amazon when we let him out. So we have had to totally seperate them. Your amazon could easily hurt and kill your lovebird.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Also, many big birds grow to hate that little birds fly faster and better then they do and grow to be very jealous or hurtful towards them. We rescued a baby female house finch from a crows dinner plate and raised her and at first my Pionus was just curious. After a while he grew to resent her and her zippy ways and decided he was going to take her out piece by piece.
He did mange to get several of her toes and break her foot before we figured out they could not be trusted together and he certainly would have killed her if he ever got a good enough hold on her.
She too was fearless and any time she was out in his area she always tried to get to the big bird which didn't help. Keep them apart for everyone's safety, even if it turns out they become friends one little spat and she could be done for before anyone could stop it.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Some wildly differently sized birds do get along, even seen larger birds adopt smaller ones as a sort of pet, but even then I would still keep them apart. For example, there was someone on AA a few years ago who who's cape parrot was preening one of their budgies and, seeming accidentally, tore part of it's upper beak off. The size difference is just too huge, even a warning nip could cripple because the larger bird doesn't likely realize it needs to be that gentile and may treat the little one like they would have another big bird. I've seen online where lovebirds have died of a crushed skull because the larger bird tried to give the lovebird a quick warning bite on the beak like they might have done to another large bird to tell it to back off. It was horrible. :(

Some other people get by fine with supervision and their little birds that are smart enough to avoid the big ones... lovebirds are not known for avoiding birds that can easily hurt them. Actually the opposite of that. They have a real tendency to either try really hard to make friends, try really hard to steal all their fun toys, or try really hard to drive the intruder out of their territory, and their persistence can end up annoying the bigger bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Gizmo (hahns) nearly bit off Jingo's (Quaker) beak off. She only was 50 grams larger than him, and he was trying to preen her. She didn't mean to hurt him. She told him in bird language to back off. Blood everywhere. And she didn't even bite him hard! But, size differences make it so that a "hey, I don't like that" which would be safe for a similar sized bird can be deadly for two with such large size differences.

Let me paraphrase. Your Amazon does not need to mean harm to kill your lovebird.

Ps. Jingo is STILL growing out the blemish on his beak 3 years later and had to go twice a year to get his beak shaped. By the vet.

Last edited:

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
...what are you doing?
I took some of those pictures before I do the post here. My amazon was home raised wit lot of other birds, so he's very tamed towards other birds, I also spoke to the breeder and he said he has lot of budgies and lovies around and they get along with the amazon. He told me that I have to be careful because my lovebird my not be used to other birds and might try to get overly friendly with the amazon and the amazon might not like it. I'm not keeping them away and I'm alternating out of cage times for them. I'll make sure that they don't get close to each other. Thanks for all the replies guys.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, good, I was very worried! It only takes one irritated chomp from a larger bird, like other posters have said. (Saying a large parrot is tamed towards smaller birds is kind of like saying a dog or cat is trained to leave them alone and thus will never hurt them - risky when one bite or swipe will kill the small bird.) I'm glad you'll be keeping them apart and alternating out times.

Last edited:

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is that white cage your amazon is perching on a travel cage or a sleep cage? If that is his regular every day cage, it is way way waaaaaay too small for a bird of that size. Getting him an adequately sized cage will help to keep him happy and sane

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
Is that white cage your amazon is perching on a travel cage or a sleep cage? If that is his regular every day cage, it is way way waaaaaay too small for a bird of that size. Getting him an adequately sized cage will help to keep him happy and sane
yeah that's actually his regular everyday cage, what sort of size you think would be proper of him? you got any measurements? Also can anyone please recommend any websites for buying online toys or even cages for parrots?!

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Very pretty Zon, is it a male or female or do you know? Alcmene is right about the cage being too small. I have Lucy my amazon in a A&E 36 X 28 dometop cage. Its not a bad size, I just want something bigger for her. I had settled on the 36 X 28 originally because the 40 X 30 I wanted wasnt in stock in the color I wanted. But since Im going to upgrade her cage we are planning on going to a 48 X 36 as soon as I find one in stock in the color I want and a price I can live with.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
An imperfect way to calculate "minimum" cage size is 2x wingspan width. For an Amazon, which has about 28" wingspan, 48"x36"would be minimum. I don't think your bird can even open his wings in the cage he's in now, which will lead to health problems and possibly injury.

Here's a link with a pdf about this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...2oS35lu8IBpWxqPMQ&sig2=nnB9bZf1rtqyE_hwgLwrXA

Also, birds can kill each other through cage bars. If your lovebird lands on the Amazon's cage, he could kill her, or he could lands on her cage and do it while she is inside.

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
If mango lands on Lucy's cage she immediately starts to go after his toes. It's a constant ("funny funny game" Mango) battle to keep him off her cage so you need to keep an eye on that as well.