• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Widowed Finch and Advice for the Future

brinney

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Hello friends,

We said goodbye this morning to our dear Spice finch hen, Nutmeg. Her mate, Cinnamon, has been calling out today and it breaks my heart. They were purchased together, and I've had them about six years. I'm worried about buying just one more finch for him, and having him leave us soon after due to his age/feeling the loss of his mate.

Moving forward, I would like to have more than a pair of finches to prevent them from being alone when a buddy passes. The pair was living in THIS CAGE that measures at 31.1 x 20.4 x 52 inches, and was hoping someone who is more experienced in finch keeping could help me answer some questions, as information online for finches isn't as common to find as parrots. I have researched docile finch breeds, and would like to have a mixed flock of some African Silverbills and Bronze-winged Mannikins. A local shop we have has those and Spice Finches that they just received, and such different species are hard to find generally in my area.

1. Does my lone Spice finch need another Spice finch specifically? (Not breeding) or would he be happy with just other finches in the cage with him?
3. Will the extra height of the current cage be okay with 4 or 5 total peaceful finches, or is an upgrade required?
4. Do I need to buy the other finches in pairs? I don't think they've paired at the shop, yet, because they're young according to the salesperson I spoke on the phone with.
5. If they don't need to be in pairs, is there a preferred gender ratio among peaceful finches, like with Zebras?

I want to do what's best for my lone Spice finch, while preparing for a small flock in the future as opposed to a pair. If anyone has advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

brinney

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Hello friends,

We said goodbye this morning to our dear Spice finch hen, Nutmeg. Her mate, Cinnamon, has been calling out today and it breaks my heart. They were purchased together, and I've had them about six years. I'm worried about buying just one more finch for him, and having him leave us soon after due to his age/feeling the loss of his mate.

Moving forward, I would like to have more than a pair of finches to prevent them from being alone when a buddy passes. The pair was living in THIS CAGE that measures at 31.1 x 20.4 x 52 inches, and was hoping someone who is more experienced in finch keeping could help me answer some questions, as information online for finches isn't as common to find as parrots. I have researched docile finch breeds, and would like to have a mixed flock of some African Silverbills and Bronze-winged Mannikins. A local shop we have has those and Spice Finches that they just received, and such different species are hard to find generally in my area.

1. Does my lone Spice finch need another Spice finch specifically? (Not breeding) or would he be happy with just other finches in the cage with him?
3. Will the extra height of the current cage be okay with 4 or 5 total peaceful finches, or is an upgrade required?
4. Do I need to buy the other finches in pairs? I don't think they've paired at the shop, yet, because they're young according to the salesperson I spoke on the phone with.
5. If they don't need to be in pairs, is there a preferred gender ratio among peaceful finches, like with Zebras?

I want to do what's best for my lone Spice finch, while preparing for a small flock in the future as opposed to a pair. If anyone has advice, I would greatly appreciate it! (I posted this in the Airport, not knowing about the softbill area! I don't know how to delete the original post)

Thanks,

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss

edit, duplicate threads merged.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
I only keep Zebra Finches/Canaries, so I don't know much about Spice Finches, but in the absence of any better advice, I think if you want to go multiple species of even peaceful Finches you would really need to go with some sort of aviary. It's a nice cage but I would recommend just keeping him with other Spice Finches, that would be best for him I think.

Also with Finches the length of the aviary or cage is much more important than the height, so you would want to go longer and not taller.