• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

why wont they talk

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
no matter what i do my 2 male budgies wont talk . i have had them just a little over a month now and they are 4 months old , i try to teach them to talk but they wont?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you learn another language in just a month?

It takes time and patience. Also, some budgies never talk.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Can you learn another language in just a month?

It takes time and patience. Also, some budgies never talk.
i only am teaching them 1 thing and its i love you , they try and say it but it wont come out fully .

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Not all budgies talk. It is also much more likely for a single budgie to learn how than a pair. Be patient :)

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
I have had budgies since 2 years and they never talked, and a gcc for 2 months and he just started saying name. Really, it just depends on each bird:) and I don't care either way. The excitement just fades away within a day :rofl:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
i only am teaching them 1 thing and its i love you , they try and say it but it wont come out fully .
It seems easy to you but it's not for them. It may take months for them to learn a single word, and more still to perfect it. It sounds like they are on their way.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I had my budgie for 4 years and he never talked, although he did mimic some sounds.

Some birds will never talk. Some might pick up one or two little things. If you're not okay with having a bird that doesn't talk, you shouldn't have a bird.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@alyssanor - Are you expecting your birds to be more advanced that a human child?

When do babies start talking?
Babies start talking — that is, attempt to express themselves in words with meaning — anywhere between 9 and 14 months. Some perfectly normal babies don't say a recognizable word until their 18 month, whereas some babies begin to communicate in words or word-sounds ("ba-ba" for bye-bye, bottle or ball; "da" or "da-da" for dog, dad or doll) as early as 7 months.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Talking tends to be an individual thing. Many birds may prefer to mimic other noises, especially if it gets a reaction out of you! Things like phone alerts, microwave beeps, alarms etc are all very appealing sounds to mimic because they make the human jump up and do something. Hours of entertainment for the enterprising birdie!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I was recently listening to a webinar and the speaker was a vet. He said exactly what others here posted. He also said that many owners swear their birds are saying a particular word or phrase but the owner is the only one that can distinguish the word/phrase. :rofl:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I was recently listening to a webinar and the speaker was a vet. He said exactly what others here posted. He also said that many owners swear their birds are saying a particular word or phrase but the owner is the only one that can distinguish the word/phrase. :rofl:
Lol..this is so true. I know Sam says "sweet baby bird" but it isn't always clear to others. I have been talking to Scout with a few simple phrases and he listens. I also have a call that I use for Sam. It is a Brrr sound like Brrr...it's cold outside. Today Scout was listening to me call him a pretty boy and he responded with...yep you guessed it...."Brrrrr". I'll take it...lol.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
no they say " I " very clearly and can kinda say love

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I have had budgies close to six years, never once have they said anything and I don't mind at all.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My budgie does not talk. Over the years I have had more budgies that did not talk than I have had budgies that do talk.