• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why my tiel still hates my presence?

Drake

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peter
Hey guys!

So, its been about 3 months since I brought home my tiel, and he takes millet from my hand, but if I approach without millet, he just hisses at my hand, and even if I have my hand behind my back, he shakes like a leaf.

What can I do to alleviate some of his fear?
Been feeding him millet, for weeks, and expose him to my hand and face, but never got used to it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do you move fast? Do you look straight at him?
have you ever sat near the cage and read to him?

bhansenuta

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bella
How often are you in the same room as your tiel? If its not that long then maybe he's just taking a little longer to get used to you

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could it be that the only time you interact directly with him, it's with your hand approaching him? I spend a lot of time just hanging out with mine, and I speak to them a lot. Also my hand is not always near them to force interaction, sometimes I just put my hand near/on the cage, so they can look at it without being pressured to do anything.

Mine took a long time to warm up too, and Jeff was scared of me for many months, he still freaks out if I try approaching him with my hand. Some are just rather skitterish.

Drake

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peter
Well, I tried all of the above, that's how I got to him taking the treat. I'm in same room all the time, and talk to him all the time.

I guess its gona take a few more months, maybe a year :-\