• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my young lovebird scared of colors?

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
My 8-10 weeks lovebird is scared of alot of colorfull things. One of it is pink. Even veggies. I tried feeding him sweetcorn mixed with peas and seeds and he didnt even go near it he was to scared of the yellow corns when i tried to hand feed it he just screamed and tried to escape. I have handfed him seeds manytimes. Is there a reason or is it way to early?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Bump!

Gigibirds

:bump4: Being scared of colours is strange! My birds get very mad at some colours (mainly red, but Pistache also hates blue because it's trying to copy her), but they have never been scared of them! @Zara?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I had a friend show up in a bright orange fluorescent camo-patterned baseball cap one day and my conure freaked out.
As prey animals, their first instinct is often to freak out and ask questions later.
Once they see it's not a threat, they usually calm down.

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
:bump4: Being scared of colours is strange! My birds get very mad at some colours (mainly red, but Pistache also hates blue because it's trying to copy her), but they have never been scared of them! @Zara?
Weird, i tried to even leave it in the cage near its perch and he didnt even go near it if he had to use the perch he would stay on the edge of it and even sleeps on the bottom of the night.

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
I had a friend show up in a bright orange fluorescent camo-patterned baseball cap one day and my conure freaked out.
As prey animals, their first instinct is often to freak out and ask questions later.
Once they see it's not a threat, they usually calm down.
I tried to show him the same thing a few times but after that he saw it even more as an threat and never even tried it. Only thing he liked to try is a bit of carrot but never actually ate it and i had to mix his favorite seeds in it

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe he is scared of the veggies, regardless of colour.
And trying to shove veggies in his face making him scream and run away will not help things at all.
Try focusing on pellets instead of the veggies for now he may be more receptive to those. Or sprouted seeds (feed just as the tails sprout so it seems like seed).
Don't invade his space with them. Put them in a bowl in the cage but away from his sleeping perch, you don't want him to not sleep well because he's scared.

Keep in mind this is a very young bird. Take things slowly, you need every interaction to be a positive one.
If he liked the carrot, you can offer a little in a small bowl.
He might like some mashed sweet potato (cooked, warm).

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Maybe he is scared of the veggies, regardless of colour.
And trying to shove veggies in his face making him scream and run away will not help things at all.
Try focusing on pellets instead of the veggies for now he may be more receptive to those. Or sprouted seeds (feed just as the tails sprout so it seems like seed).
Don't invade his space with them. Put them in a bowl in the cage but away from his sleeping perch, you don't want him to not sleep well because he's scared.

Keep in mind this is a very young bird. Take things slowly, you need every interaction to be a positive one.
If he liked the carrot, you can offer a little in a small bowl.
He might like some mashed sweet potato (cooked, warm).
Thanks ill do so! Ill have him eat some carrots for now mixed with his favorite seeds and try the sprouts and sweet potato!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hahaha, Princess hates blue? But her colour is green, I think?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have seen birds scared of certain colors and definitely things they’re unfamiliar with. It’s not that strange/uncommon.

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
While I would not rule out that he can be afraid of certain colors . I think he is probably just nervous of it because it’s something new and unknown ;) maybe try to put it in a bowl in his cage so he can check it out on his own terms

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
While I would not rule out that he can be afraid of certain colors . I think he is probably just nervous of it because it’s something new and unknown ;) maybe try to put it in a bowl in his cage so he can check it out on his own terms
Thanks for replying! I actually bough celanchro and broccoli i diced the celanchro in smaller pieces with a few sweet corns into half aswell. And the green top seeds like of the broccoli mixed with a bit of millet and some mixe of seeds. He tried them today. He didbt eat it all but its a step closer to being healthy!

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Thanks for replying! I actually bough celanchro and broccoli i diced the celanchro in smaller pieces with a few sweet corns into half aswell. And the green top seeds like of the broccoli mixed with a bit of millet and some mixe of seeds. He tried them today. He didbt eat it all but its a step closer to being healthy!
That’s awesome!!
My lovebird loved cilantro too!! ;)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You could also try some peppers (red, green and orange) and romaine lettuce, those are osme of my birds faves. Oooh, and peas :)

Wishing you luck.

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
You could also try some peppers (red, green and orange) and romaine lettuce, those are osme of my birds faves. Oooh, and peas :)

Wishing you luck.
Ty! My birds doesnt like them big so i gotta make it really small Even corn my bird is around 8 weeks and he started to a carrots the top of broccoli and lettuce, he is trying peas here and there. Ill get him pepper and romain lettuce

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My birds doesnt like them big so i gotta make it really small E
You might find a processor helpful, it saves me so much time! My birds also like little pieces over big chunks.

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
You might find a processor helpful, it saves me so much time! My birds also like little pieces over big chunks.
I got a processor i used it today and he ate quiet the broccoli and carrots. I just hope het gets used to the big peaces at some point.